Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He had far better players around him though. We had a centre forward worthy of the name for one. Convinced if Sigurdsson was placed into that side we'd have seen far better performances by now.

Same for a lot of players.

End of the day, all I want is for him to hold the ball on the halfway line or further up the pitch and pick a pass. Not too much to ask. But he can't do it.

Best of a bad bunch at the moment but is he doing enough to bring out the best of the rest of the team?
Not out of position as left back cover he won’t, he’s not quick enough to get up and down, he needs to be played further up.

He is the best of a bad bunch as you say, but are they doing enough to bring the best out of him is more the question? we have had no capable focal point to aim at and play off all season.

Not out of position as left back cover he won’t, he’s not quick enough to get up and down, he needs to be played further up.

He is the best of a bad bunch as you say, but are they doing enough to bring the best out of him is more the question? we have had no capable focal point to aim at and play off all season.
You say yourself he's not quick enough to play on the wing. He also can't beat a player and some of the passes I've seen him cock up this year have been very poor.

We have to play him every week and essentially hope he gets a free kick or a long shot because he doesn't do anything of note in open play besides that.

I knew he was a motd player but I never knew how poor his link up play and passing in midfield was.

You say yourself he's not quick enough to play on the wing. He also can't beat a player and some of the passes I've seen him cock up this year have been very poor.

We have to play him every week and essentially hope he gets a free kick or a long shot because he doesn't do anything of note in open play besides that.

I knew he was a motd player but I never knew how poor his link up play and passing in midfield was.
I’m not disputing he’s slow and can’t go past a player, we all know that.

I can sit here and reel off some world class players who couldn’t do those things.

I’m not disputing he’s slow and can’t go past a player, we all know that.

I can sit here and reel off some world class players who couldn’t do those things.
But is sigurdsson world class?

I've seen what he brings to the squad so far and he's a player we have to build a very specific team around to get the best out of him and that will require us playing in a certain way.

It is still relatively early days in the sigurdsson experiment but from what I've seen since he came into the team I can't say I'm a huge fan.

He stinks of a slightly better Bilyaletdinov right down to the long foreign name people hate spelling.

Same for a lot of players.

End of the day, all I want is for him to hold the ball on the halfway line or further up the pitch and pick a pass. Not too much to ask. But he can't do it.

He did this against WH and we battered them. It's sequential though. We need the defence to be playing well, which they now are. We need Rooney deeper starting attacks. We need Gylfi coming in off the left and receiving the ball centrally between the oppositions defence and midfield. We need a striker who's movement creates the space.
Take one of the above out and the whole thing fails because Sig is an Ozil and not a Sanchez in terms of his type of involvement in the game.

I've seen what he brings to the squad so far and he's a player we have to build a very specific team around to get the best out of him and that will require us playing in a certain way.

It is still relatively early days in the sigurdsson experiment but from what I've seen since he came into the team I can't say I'm a huge fan.

He stinks of a slightly better Bilyaletdinov right down to the long foreign name people hate spelling.
I was with you albeit it disagreeing with respect until your last paragraph.

Sig is about 30x the player Bily was mate.

He’s not world class no, but you don’t need pace and the ability to go past a man to be a v good or world class player.

I just hope Tosun is good because I think Siggy will come on a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back