2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's opinions isn't it. It's what the forum is for. I think he's a quality player, albeit having a poor season. Never worth £45m but you pay a PL premium when teams don't want to sell.

I think dismissing him as 'gash' constantly is bizarre when he's definitely not a terrible player.

It's more like excuses mate. He played out on the left for Swansea (as some of the Swansea lads who came on here said) and was supposedly boss, he plays out on the left for us (and badly the majority of the time) and the excuse for him playing badly was because he was being played out of position according to some of the lads on here.

He is exactly what I would expect from taking a team like Swansea’s best player, decent enough but wouldn’t get near a starting 11 for a top 6 team. It’s our fault we got stung on the fee, not his. It shows how bad our club is run.

We would be even worse without him though at the moment. Playing him in his best position would be a good idea from time to time too.

Okay.

de Bruyne: 7 goals, 14 assists.
Mahrez: 8 goals, 7 assists.
Eriksen: 7 goals, 7 assists.
Coutinho: 7 goals, 6 assists.
Silva: 6 goals, 8 assists.
Ozil: 4 goals, 7 assists.
Sigurdsson: 4 goals, 3 assists.

Gylfi didn't show up in the first 10 PL matches where we were playing our worst football this season.

So the fact that he has the same amount of goals as Ozil and only 3-4 less than KDB/Silva/Eriksen/Coutinho is actually quite impressive.

Let's take a closer look to the stats this season:

uN6qwlLHS3uol24nu5CHiA.png

• Sigurdsson - Passes per chance: 18,05. Passes per key pass: 19,69. Passes per assist: 216.
  • Ozil - Passes per chance: 22,12. Passes per key pass: 24,39. Passes per assist: 237.
  • Eriksen - Passes per chance: 22,86. Passes per key pass: 20,36. Passes per assist: 235.
  • Silva - Passes per chance: 22,98. Passes per key pass: 24,84. Passes per assist: 209.
  • Coutinho - Passes per chance: 16,80. Passes per key pass: 19,76. Passes per assist: 96.
Coutinho has more passes than Sigurdsson this season despite having only played 14 matches.
  • Ozil 1659 passes in 24 apps = 69 per app
  • Silva: 1888 passes in 23 apps = 61.5 per app
  • Eriksen: 1646 passes in 28 apps = 59 per app
  • Coutinho: 672 passes in 14 apps = 48 per app
  • Sigurdsson: 650 passes in 26 apps = 25 per app

Despite Gylfi only averaging 25 passes per match vs Silva's 61.5 per match, he still only has 4 less key pass & 12 less chances created. Playing for Everton, not recording breaking City.

If Gylfi had the same amount of passes as Silva's 1888, then he would be projected to have created 105 chances, 96 key passes & 9 assists.

Despite only having created 36 chances, he could very easily have 8 or 9 if it weren't for his wasteful team mates. *cough* DCL *cough*

Also, Lol @ all the fools who think I have ''way too much time on my hands'' for making a detailed, well articulated post.

You spend 10x more time than me here, if not more. I spend my time efficiently when I'm doing this, while you spend every day of your life here.

Quelle surprise. The stats this year show he is turbo gash.

He hasn't had a "£45m" season but i feel he's had a steady one - there's clearly more levels to his game that he isn't showing, but most players this season have struggled to show their best.

Hopefully with a new manager and improved tactics we'll see the best of him next Season.
He's had a season that we would call crap if it was Mirallas putting in those stats and performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back