2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
..I like him too. The problem is that these players have been bought with no strategy or system in mind. They’ve just been bought.
Exactly. I’ve always thought a Manager should play a system that suits his best player, Sigy is our best player yet we play him out wide? The whole system should be geared so he shines, it never is.

..I like him too. The problem is that these players have been bought with no strategy or system in mind. They’ve just been bought.

Indeed, I wrote a long post in the Walsh thread last week but never posted it, but the jist was around the disparity between the DOF (head scout tbh) and the manager(s).

So many decent (on paper) signings have fallen victim to our "system", Sigurdsson is merely surviving at the moment because he is a quality footballer, same goes for Walcott, imagine the force we'll be when someone can actually put the puzzle together.

Indeed, I wrote a long post in the Walsh thread last week but never posted it, but the jist was around the disparity between the DOF (head scout tbh) and the manager(s).

So many decent (on paper) signings have fallen victim to our "system", Sigurdsson is merely surviving at the moment because he is a quality footballer, same goes for Walcott, imagine the force we'll be when someone can actually put the puzzle together.

Only system I can see working relies on us getting in two new deep lying midfielders who can pass the ball well.

Sig doesn't do playmaking so we need two who can take the balls off the centre backs, keep hold of it and progress it up the pitch.

The question I've always had is "is he good enough to justify building a team around?"

We played 4-3-3 and then bought a number 10 for a system that doesn't have a 10 in it and who can't play the wide role effectively (I mean he can, he did all season for Swansea but people who just saw the goals/assists stats thought he must be bossing things rather than just having a fluke of an output).

And if you do that what happens to Klaassen who can't play the two deep roles or the wide roles?

He should be in the middle, he was quite on the left for Swansea, but he had a target man to aim for there, ala bony or llorente, much better strikers then we have at our disposal here, so with his crossing ability he would always create. But here? He has no striker to aim for, no left back making runs past him to free up space, no left back to actually link up with, no midfielders running past him to play the ball to, no midfielders even running up the pitch to pull the ball back to. And then on set pieces no height or good headerers to even aim for.
Not buying all this not good enough BS, his stats are always up there with the best, but we play crap systems with terrible players to link with so nobody really has a chance to be a success in that position tbh.

A number 10 who can't knit the play together and act as a playmaker is essentially just a crap second striker.

Honestly though, who else that plays that position is so incredibly ineffective at influencing the match?

Talk of building a team around him scares the life of me and is just throwing good money after bad imo.

Ship him out and get a player for that position who can influence the match even when he doesn't score, that's what midfielders should be doing.

A number 10 who can't knit the play together and act as a playmaker is essentially just a crap second striker.

Honestly though, who else that plays that position is so incredibly ineffective at influencing the match?

Talk of building a team around him scares the life of me and is just throwing good money after bad imo.

Ship him out and get a player for that position who can influence the match even when he doesn't score, that's what midfielders should be doing.

I don't think we're going to be able to just ship him out you know mate.

I don't think we're going to be able to just ship him out you know mate.
I know...

We're stuck with him and are going to spend the next 3 years trying desperately to get value for money out of him without holding the team back having to set them up to get the best out of him because he doesn't bring the best out of others.

Then we'll flog him to West Brom for abar 10 million at 31.

Rooney - 1/10 favourite for the abuse
Pickford, after making two saves to keep it tight - 1/6
Jagielka - 1/3
Baines - Evens
Bolasie - 6/4
Ahh I was talking about the more specific category of blame of "Why did Gylfi play poorly?" rather than the more generic "Why did Everton play poorly?" analysis you have done here.

I don't think I've yet seen Pickford or Jagielka submitted as an excuse for why Gylfi was crap but this weekend could be the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back