2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horrible news for him if true.
However, I have been at three different games(gaelic hurling and football) where players ruptured the acl ligament and none of them were able to continue.
I would be surprised if the injury is as serious as that given he finished the game.

This.

I ruptured my ACL and tore my meniscus last April and I've never felt pain like it, and ive previously carried on playing on a broken ankle. This laid me out and I couldn't move from the moment it happened, and I couldn't fully weight bear for 8 over months, including recovery from an operation.

I still can't fully straighten or bend my leg now, 11 months later, and I'm still undergoing physio and Hydrotherapy while waiting for a 2nd reconstruction operation.

The pain of the initial injury was incredible, and I couldn't move my leg for months after without severe pain. He didn't just see out a couple of minutes on Saturday, he was running about and walked off. I'd be very surprised if he has done that, unless it's a partial tear, which could heal itself with a few months rest and rehabilitation.

Kinda nicely sums up our luck though. I make that 5 players in the last 14 months who have suffered injuries that would keep them out for over 6 months.

And just as he was finally starting to look like a £20m player as well.

Given that we're on the verge of being safe, say if he comes back for pre season, the only really bad thing about this is him missing the WC. Apart from that it's a shame for us but our only goal is staying in the league this season. Get him back fresh and ready for next season.

Dont think he'll be out too long - the fact he carried on playing would to me suggest 8-12 weeks. At the most 6 months and I would be very suprised if it was.

What are we going to miss?

His four goals and three assists? DCL has provided more.

He's so average it hurts. Not bothered at all and I bet we end up playing better without him.

I don't like the fact he's injured and would never want one of our players injured.

But I don't think it'll make or shake the run in or that he'll be massively missed.

Will probably see Tosun or Rooney drop into the number 10. Offers the chance to play two wingers too, give Vlasic, Niasse, and DCL more game time

Hopefully its not true but if there's any risk we should let him get ready and fit for his World Cup :)

This. Sigurdsson is easily Iceland's best player, and surely this will be his only chance at playing in a World Cup. I hope the club tells him just to do all he can to get fit for Russia. In the greater scheme of things, the next eight games for Everton pale into insignificance compared to the chance to represent in the World Cup. It was amazing that Iceland qualified in the first place, it will be a crying shame if their best player gets an injury preventing him from making the squad.

I don't like the fact he's injured and would never want one of our players injured.

But I don't think it'll make or shake the run in or that he'll be massively missed.

Will probably see Tosun or Rooney drop into the number 10. Offers the chance to play two wingers too, give Vlasic, Niasse, and DCL more game time
Don't think Tosin will play there. It will be Rooney/Davies but more likely it will be 4-3-3

I suspect this means we'll see more of Bolassie or DCL down the left this season if true.

that also leaves us with Rooney, Klassen and Davies as the more forward thinking centre midfield options. And one of Rooney/ Davies ends up deeper because Schneiderlin can't be trusted.

If it was really serious, like Bolaise serious, he wouldn't have been able to play on.

Surely the fact he was able to continue means it's not as bad as if he had to come off straight away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back