Horse Racing

@Eggs

The four horses to back each way at £1.25 on Saturday for the national are as follows...
i
ii
iii
iv

….after yesterdays biblical downpour, we’ll be lucky to have 4 finishes. Seriously, shrewdies I know have been backing less than 10 to finish at 5-1. It could be a right slog & carrying 11st+ is going to be tough for the better horses, hopefully they all come home safe and sound.

1) Mr Incredible 14-1; first one I backed for this at 56-1 last April. Running a terrific race last year when his saddle slipped and the jockey fell off. Genius trainer clearly laid him out for this & won’t mind the mud. Downside, the stable jockey hasn’t picked him and his weight might get nearer that 11st mark when the top weight invariably gets pulled tomorrow.

2) Panda Boy 14-1; Put this one up on my racing forum at 66-1 last Autumn because I noticed he was finishing well over shorter distances. I had no idea this was his target so I’m proud of myself that he’s turning up. Crept in at the bottom of the weights & won’t mind the soft ground, downside is it’s a long time since he won a race but if he’s within 20L starting the 2nd circuit, he could finish from the back of your telly.

3) Galvin 33-1/Jack Kennedy; Galvin probably my favourite horse in training, I love him and the handicapper has given him a right chance. Problem is he hates soft ground (hence the big price) and he probably won’t run. If not, his trainer Gordon Elliott has loads entered so see who stable jockey Jack Kennedy selects to ride after tomorrows final decs.

4) Chambard 100-1/Gallia des Liteaux 33-1; Love having a 100-1 shot and there’s worst than Chambard. Won in the mud over these fences in December but has run like a dog since. Venetia Williams has trained the GN winner in the past, problem is he needs a few to come out to sneak in (which I think will happen). If not Galia worth a look at. Mares have a dreadful record in the race but her trainer is a handicap genius, she likes the ground and she’s a bit of an unknown.

It’s still the National and my 95 year old mother-in-law is just as likely to ring me on Saturday morning with her £1 e/w winner.

Bit of a bonus, I’ll give you next years winner - Corbett’s Cross, but keep it to yourself and we’ll get a juicy price next week. Good luck everybody.

A heads up for anyone into racing. A series starting on bbc4 tonight called Horsepower, documentary into a year in Andrew Balding's yard. Two episodes tonight and 2 next week, although I think you may be able to get all 4 on i-player.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back