How do we ‘fix’ the relationship between fans and the club?

It really worries me that there are quite a few fans who will at best ignore or downplay actions like this, whereas others even attempt to justify it.

We've had a bottle throw at Digne (yes, an ex-player), Gordon and Mina chased, and now this; I've probably forgotten a few more incidents, as well.
It's a sad situation.

The reputation of our fanbase is now in the gutter.

When has Maupay ever tried his best? I get that he was sticking up for his teammates but his social media snides are another side of the same coin. The gap between Footballers and fans has widened socially, physically, and especially financially. They parrot unthinkingly what their media teams advise them to say and mime a connection with the fans. They have no understanding of what it is to be a match going fan and of the emotional toll it can take. I don't want to see scenes like that but I understand that in the heat of the moment it can happen. The bloke probably feels a complete fool now. Meanwhile Maupay can reach for another Ivory backscratcher and count his dough the utter blert.

It’s clear from just scrolling down the main page on the forum (and following on from countless media reports and Dyche’s comments) the fans are taking a bit of flak currently.

I had a few thoughts about where all this started and was curious whether anyone else can pinpoint what might be done to try and ‘fix’ it.

For me this goes deep, and way back to when Moshiri first bought us. We’d had a fantastic season under Martinez which had raised expectations after years of being ‘almost there’ under Moyes, followed by 2 underwhelming follow up seasons. The takeover sent expectations into overdrive about what was possible however and this is where some inward reflection from us as fans is probably fair.

The atmosphere at Goodison has notably dropped from the Moyes era, call it fatigue, call it antipathy - whatever you like - it’s not what it used to be for 70% of the season. Yes we’ve pulled them over the line when needed but what about games like last week or how I imagine Saturday is going to go…

With the expectations increasing we’ve seen blasé attitudes to transfers, manager sackings and the finances surrounding the club. Some voices were shouted down early on when voicing disapproval of how the club had been ran and many had the ‘not my money’ attitude to some woeful recruitment.

We’re now left with whatever this is, a group of players we can probably pick 3/4 out who we genuinely do like and a manager who just isn’t suited to galvanise a fan base like ours. How do you heal that disconnect between fans and staff?

We don’t need a happy-clappy, Lampard type. I think we need an absolute maniac on the touchline, someone like Klopp, Simeone, Bielsa (not that calibre but that personality). The fans are that flat, the players are that disassociated, I can only see a big personality like that galvanising a reaction from the whole club.

Be interested to see what anyone else thinks, where we go from here, how did we get here. Is anyone else feeling a degree of blame for the rot setting in? Not pointing fingers but I know I’ve been guilty of all of the above at times (bar booing players coming on/off - actively called that out at the game a few times).
Sack Dyche

Release Keane & Maupay

Keep JB

Sell the club to proper owners

The above four will go a long way to get the supporters onside.

It really worries me that there are quite a few fans who will at best ignore or downplay actions like this, whereas others even attempt to justify it.

We've had a bottle throw at Digne (yes, an ex-player), Gordon and Mina chased, and now this; I've probably forgotten a few more incidents, as well.

Yes, the club aren't blameless nor have Dyche's recent comments and the team's performances helped, but it cannot justify this kind of behaviour.

As you say, who'll want to play for us? Do they think the squad are going to be inspired by it? We can be frustrated and whatnot, yet we've crossed the line - again.

Or even worse actions like this could cause potential new owners decide to pull out thinking it's too much hassle turning around the club, which will bound to take time and patience with many bumps in the road to come.

It boils my pee how a group of our support can make an already bad situation worse. Boo at the end of the game, perhaps sing not fit to wear the shirt (although that is over the top at the moment), but for God's sake leave the players alone once they are out of the stadium.

Or even worse actions like this could cause potential new owners decide to pull out thinking it's too much hassle turning around the club, which will bound to take time and patience with many bumps in the road to come.

It boils my pee how a group of our support can make an already bad situation worse. Boo at the end of the game, perhaps sing not fit to wear the shirt (although that is over the top at the moment), but for God's sake leave the players alone once they are out of the stadium.
Forgive me for a tangential consideration, what are the club doing booking players onto the train after a game? If they'd turned up and battered spurs ten nil, would it have been pints and cola and sing songs all round?

It's just not professional. Team coach, all aboard, take it from there. Out of the way of fans, paperazzo, gold digging hussies, and a host of other similar maniacs.

Two games, two significant losses, pressure is on already, episodes such as this are an avoidable kick in the pants not needed.

No common sense.

I think when we as a fan base have realistic expectations for our predicament, which the ownership. I just never understood fans abusing their own player's, managers job is to improve them. Yet they have to do that whilst they are being abused for a misplaced pass or just someone’s opinion they are rubbish.

I can see why there is a reluctance to play youngsters. A team lacking confidence and a toxic crowd, hardly the best way to develop them.
There are two sets of expectations, one is based on achievement, the other on effort.
The first is managed, we don't really expect European football, where Dyche got that from I don't know, the second is a minimum for Evertonians.
I am prepared to see us lose if the team has been beaten after 90+ minutes despite the effort they've put in, what we're watching is being beaten without that. No obvious, apparent, collective effort.

Less of this type of post from someone who somehow has a platform.

Attacking people who have a genetical disorder is only fanning the flames.

And fyi I’m not bald. I just think he’s a nob.

Think he should have read the true frustrations of supporters being held back at the platform for over an hour whilst waiting on the Everton coach to arrive. They were going home ffs not transporting

Think he should have read the true frustrations of supporters being held back at the platform for over an hour whilst waiting on the Everton coach to arrive. They were going home ffs not transporting
Is that right?!

Having to wait around for them after watching that performance as well!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back