Hypothetical: We get a new manager - what is their first move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wage bill is a big deal, I won't argue but the thing is Wigan finish about where you'd expect them to be in terms of wages. They pay about the 16th most in the league and finish about 16th. So their players are about as good as they think they are.

We pay about the 10th and finish 7th. We get more out of our players then their agents think their worth. That is because we have a good manager and wigan don't.

That makes no sense. Moyes excels at getting value for money on players, that doesn't mean Martinez isn't a good manager because he doesn't do the same.

Martinez has spent barely anything while having his best players sold from under him. I fail to see how he's a bad manager for keeping them up consistently when other teams have spent more and gone down.

Wolves spent £30m net in the three seasons previous to being relegated, for example.

That makes no sense. Moyes excels at getting value for money on players, that doesn't mean Martinez isn't a good manager because he doesn't do the same.

Martinez has spent barely anything while having his best players sold from under him. I fail to see how he's a bad manager for keeping them up consistently when other teams have spent more and gone down.

Wolves spent £30m net in the three seasons previous to being relegated, for example.

Because he inherited a team who Bruce had finishing midtable and has overseen them drop down to about 17th. Because on a limited budget he spent nearly ten million on Boseli and Scotland. Because his record in cups is awful (Jewell got them to a final, Martinex never gets them to a second game). Because they're just not a very good team who do just about enough to stay up but play really badly for most of the year.

More to the point, there is always three or four clubs who have smaller wage bills and less prem experience.

Martinez finishs about where you'd expect his team to finish. Paul Jewell managed to get them finishing about the same place. Steve Bruce had them finishing higher.

They're not exactly Ferguson and Mourinho.

Net Spend in Premier League before Martinez = £15m
Net Spend in Premier League since Martinez = -£11m

The team he inherited has been progressively weakened, how does the league position dropping as a result make Martinez a bad manager ?

Because he inherited a team who Bruce had finishing midtable and has overseen them drop down to about 17th. Because on a limited budget he spent nearly ten million on Boseli and Scotland. Because his record in cups is awful (Jewell got them to a final, Martinex never gets them to a second game). Because they're just not a very good team who do just about enough to stay up but play really badly for most of the year.

And Moyes spent £10m on Bilyaletdinov. Everybody makes mistakes, and it's a lot harder to buy good players on a budget when you have an inferior scouting system and are a smaller club. He also bought Kone and Al Habsi for £6m total.

The team he inherited has been progressively weakened, how does the league position dropping as a result make Martinez a bad manager ?

It doesn't.

It makes him not a good manager. He's done an alright job. But nothing actually impressive. Wigan finish about where you'd expect a club paying those sort of wages to finish. Not lower then you'd expect but not higher either.

It doesn't.

It makes him not a good manager. He's done an alright job. But nothing actually impressive. Wigan finish about where you'd expect a club paying those sort of wages to finish. Not lower then you'd expect but not higher either.

he's done at least as well as moyes at preston (never got them into the EPL)

It doesn't.

If he's not bad, he's good. Semantics.

Anybody who keeps a team in the Premier League season after season while spending NEGATIVE money is a good manager.

Before I get hit by that lad whose the thread police I need to note this is not a 'who is our next manager' thread, but please feel free to make comments on who you think our next manager 'may' be.

With Moyes' contract set to end, there is a possibility he won't resign. This possibility is not remote, yet it is not probable. It simply is.

If a new manager comes into Everton next season, we're going to lose assets. It would be an unsettling. The manager who comes into Everton would need to be able to salvage the situation, and transfer the funds from sales/our losses into something worthwhile.

Luckily for us we are a centre back short of the best defence in the league, a midfielder short of MATCHING the best midfield in the league, and a striker short of being a great attacking team. We are just about there so whoever comes in can take us just over the line or crash hard.

So I pose the question: Moyes goes, a new manager comes in, all goes to ****e on merseyside and these forums, its all doom and gloom; amidst all this - what is the manager's first reasonable move in light of EVERYTHING?

Hahaha hi ijjy.

I hope this catches on.

he's done at least as well as moyes at preston (never got them into the EPL)

Martinez has overseen the exact same amount of promotions as Moyes has: One from the third flight to the second. Neither got their team into the Prem.

But Moyes is der Messiah lad nobody can do what he does.

I don't rate Moyes all that highly to be honest. I just rate Martinez even less.

Martinez has overseen the exact same amount of promotions as Moyes has: One from the third flight to the second. Neither got their team into the Prem.

I don't rate Moyes all that highly to be honest. I just rate Martinez even less.

and yet the evidence you have provided to support this argument comes across as very flimsy.

indeed you seem to be saying that moyes and martinez are actually on a par reading back through your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back