If we go down who do we keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thing how many of this squad
Are likely to have relegation clauses in there contracts..

Knowing Everton very few if any would be my guess

Been a long time since I've seen an Everton side look mentally beaten (outside of derby games)
If the worst was to happen , who do we realistically think will stay to try and help us come back up?

Gone:
Pickford
Mina
Iwobi
Onana
Maupay
Doucoure
Holgate

Maybe:
Coady (may be a sensible option for squad strength)
Gueye (wages may be too high)
Gray
Dcl (someone like arsenal may see him.as worth a punt for a plan b)
Tarkowski
godfrey
Keane
Branthwaite

I think the following is likely:
A new no1 gk
Patterson ,myko and godfrey as fullback options
Whoever stays out of tarkowski,Keane,coady and branthwaite as cb
Garner, Davies (if retained) central midfield
McNeil and gray (if he stays) out wide
Simms up front....

We'd need a massive squad overhaul and be reliant on some of the youth players stepping up

Very grim, realistic scenario we're facing
Sell or giveaway Keane...

Firstly the on-loan players inwards will almost certainly leave - So Coady and Vinagre. While we might try keep Coady on, I'm guessing he'll prefer to head back to Wolves, and take his chances there, rather than face in to an uncertain year in the championship.

Likewise all the players out of contract will all leave, either because we can't afford them or they have better opportunities elsewhere. So Seamus, Tom Davies, Mina, Doucoure, Townsend will likely all leave.

After that, its all guesswork of what players teams might be willing to pay for. Pickford has value, and will likely want to leave to keep his England spot, but I don't see any top 6 club wanting him, and if there was much interest in him, he likely wouldnt have just signed a long term deal. Patterson and Godfrey might have some interested clubs based on their relative youth and speed. Iwobi might have some interested clubs, but he may prefer to hang on for another year to be able to move for free in a years time instead. Onana will probably want to leave and we'll likely make a profit on him, but not by all that much. Grey too would be similar, he's got skills, but he's not consistent enough showing it, so again a profit, but not something dramatic. I don't see anyone taking a chance on DCL, his days as a PL striker seem very numbered unless he has a dramatic recovery before the end of the season. While we'd love to sell Maupay, I can't see anyone paying money for him, I'd think we're just stuck with him until his contract expires, unless we maybe get him some loan deals instead.

The rest, we keep unless we get a decent unexpected offer. Maybe some of Tark, Keane, Holgate, Garner, and McNeil might have interest, but I think most likely stay.

TLDR: Its grim grim stuff. Unless some of the youth team players can step up to an unlikely level, its going to be a rough year.

Neither Pickford nor Onana will play for us in the championship, between the fees we get for them and the wages saved we will be a good way along the road to financial compliance next season, once the parachute payment is factored in. The problem really starts the season after when we have nobody with big value to sell and only a small parachute payment to receive. I see it as vital that, if relegated, we come straight back up, but, I don't believe these players are capable of that.

Another thing how many of this squad
Are likely to have relegation clauses in there contracts..

Knowing Everton very few if any would be my guess
Given how terrible we are at negotiating contracts I would imagine none have relegation clauses.

I would highly doubt any of the players who play international football would want to stay, then there are all the high earners who would go. Even the likes of Mykolenko are on £50k a week.

When Carlos Corberan went in at Huddersfield they literally had about 4/5 players and he built an entire squad out of free transfers and loans and then got them to the playoffs. It can be done but it comes down to recruitment and as we all know that is probably our weakest area.

Relegation will make it a necessity to sell our good players and keep our crap ones, making us even more crap than we already are.

If I had the money to buy Everton today, I would lock the gates tomorrow and make every single employee redundant, and start rehiring immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.