Iffy start, but…

Status
Not open for further replies.
The second goal was after we moved to 2 CBs and left space because we started attacking…

My point was the back 3 looked very solid in both games

Also please don’t tell me your quoting Gerard as a reason for anything ffs
In the second hald after 60 minutes Everton was all over the place and Villa should have scored 2 or 3 goals. Peterson (Gordon didnt help at all) was unable to close his side, central midfield was overrun. It looked bad.

In the second hald after 60 minutes Everton was all over the place and Villa should have scored 2 or 3 goals. Peterson (Gordon didnt help at all) was unable to close his side, central midfield was overrun. It looked bad.
The game became frantic and chances suddenly started happening at both ends. If I recall, our chances were better than theirs but then Buendia started to turn the game. If we’d have brought on Dele and Onana a bit earlier when there were spaces who knows what could’ve happened.

Is it too early for Southampton to be must win

Just shows the transfer business should have been done sooner
It should have, but we're all aware of why it potentially hasn't - the club doing diligence and being heavily restricted in terms of finances.

It it weren't for the finances, I suspect Gueye would already be in nor would we have been so reliant on getting the Richarlison deal done to help fund anything.

Going into the season with one respectable striker was never a good scenario, however it's what it was. If DCL wasn't injured, we could be on 3/4 points now.

We will sign a striker and it'll help us a lot although regrettably we're having to be patient as we can't afford a dud - financially and in terms of performances.

None of them hid away in either game, we were still in both right to the end, a huge mark up compared to the half season under you know who last year

The two starting back lines have looked far solid with Tarkowski and now Coady being part of it, results will come starting next week I have the faith
Me too. Defence seems pretty solid and once Onana is settled in and, hopefully, Gana is back, plus a new striker or two, we'll start the climb. I still say top ten at least.

If we had Calvert Lewin and Richarlison there we’ve got 4-6 points.

I was frustrated before the season, because I felt the first 5 games were “generous” to us, in that we could realistically get points from all of them.

The issue has now cost us in the game significantly today, and probably last week too.

We weren’t really good today for most part, but Villa we’re there for the taking and every time we attacked we had a good opportunity, especially in the last 10 mins.

We desperately need a CF next week. If we get one, we’ll be fine overall, because they’re not playing terribly.
Rondon off the bench is an okay option, but he won’t last 90 minutes.

It doesn't matter that we are competitive in games.

We have absolutely no goals and until that changes, we are prime relegation contenders. Its not the managers fault, its not the players fault, its the purely the fault of the board and recruitment team.
Ah here

It should have, but we're all aware of why it potentially hasn't - the club doing diligence and being heavily restricted in terms of finances.

It it weren't for the finances, I suspect Gueye would already be in nor would we have been so reliant on getting the Richarlison deal done to help fund anything.

Going into the season with one respectable striker was never a good scenario, however it's what it was. If DCL wasn't injured, we could be on 3/4 points now.

We will sign a striker and it'll help us a lot although regrettably we're having to be patient as we can't afford a dud - financially and in terms of performances.
Yes, surely nobody can think it was perfectly possible to sign all our top picks before the season, but the staff chose not to do it because they were on a fishing trip, grouting their new bathroom tiles, or were camping in Wales? Any delay is because we simply couldn't get the best possible player earlier, or were trying to stretch thin finances a long way. I guess we could have got fewer and inferior players early, but we'd have paid a price over the season, and beyond.

There are some positives to take from those two games I think

Arguably we should have had two draws instead of two losses

It is galling how it feels like August has been essentially written off though due to us not having business done in time

I’m hopeful that once the window is concluded we can put a few results together and start creeping up on 40 points

It’s not panic stations yet

Hopefully Lampard learnt something today and we seen our first points on the board against the Trees
It's not been an iffy start. It's been it a rank bad start and we need to acknowledge that.

I am happy to give Lampard plenty of time. His apologists, less so.

Status
Not open for further replies.