Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filled 1 in for Postman this morning, then after doing it had a chat with our postie, the job said 12 month contract & 20 hours. He said his son has been there 7 years and still never been offered a permanent position, said there would be some o/t like but the 20 hour thing has been the norm for quite some time.
Suppose it'll depend on the hourly rate & hours if I'm interested if I get any farther.

20 hours over 4 or 5 days on min wage is cack to say the least.

Filled 1 in for Postman this morning, then after doing it had a chat with our postie, the job said 12 month contract & 20 hours. He said his son has been there 7 years and still never been offered a permanent position, said there would be some o/t like but the 20 hour thing has been the norm for quite some time.
Suppose it'll depend on the hourly rate & hours if I'm interested if I get any farther.

Good luck with that mate.

got a couple of tests to do for Network Rail & Northern.

just applied for a Mech Technician at Manc Uni which is better pay and on days, spoke to the man in charge and he was very encouraging, stating that I have the exact skills and experience and in comparison to where I've worked it's a very relaxed working environment. Fingers Crossed on that one tbh as it's shot up my list of priority after the conversation with him.

Mate of mine is a postie, he really loves it. He's said that people's experiences can vary from one sorting office to another, even in the same city but he started as a Christmas temp, then they asked him to stay on a while longer and within 6 months they'd offered a permanent full time contract with really good hours, he does 3 six-day weeks then gets a full week off in addition to his annual leave.

It would appear that these working hours for new posties are the norm mate, very few full timers now and those that are left are the ones that go in early and sort the mail out for the staff that come on part time at around 9am - district, not sorting office.

As @ste d' indica says it depends on the sorting office you work at, same as any work place. I know a couple of lads who have been posties for over twenty years and they love it. One lad even asked to go back out on his round after being promoted and going inside, as he missed it that much.

have one tomorrow morning, although there's some form of situational testing beforehand so hopefully I get to the interview stage!

Yay, I've got through to the Conductor Assessment Day for Northern, it's a while off though 20th May but no excuse for not being prepared & plenty of time to find a suit.

GL Reidy. That Uni job sounds good, and you've been looking for ages, so I hope you get it. I've got a mate who worked for RM and he hated it the last couple years, but I think a lot of that was down to 'office politics'. He was there for ages though and was always on full time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back