Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got an Interview in a School on Friday for a technician position.

Money aint that great but you only work term-time hours, apparently they usually pay you pro-rata so you get paid with the hours averaged out over the full 12 months, which makes a difference with regards to tax credits but can make a difference both ways tbh. if you are working 27.5 hrs per week then you get less working tax credit than if 37 hours, however if you was to only get paid in term time then you would lose the working Tax credits during the holidays (of which there are plenty) which tbh would leave you 1200 worse off than the other way.
Have spoken to a couple of people that do similar-ish roles and the grades are the same as classroom assistants, 1 told me that if you get in on the highest class assistant grade and so are classed as having the same as the nvq3 then you can start on a teaching degree. She was an air hostess tbh & went working in a college in the travel & tourism to get the nvq's & now she's in a high school & nearly done the teaching degree... which she said she's pretty much doing on the job with hardly anything to do at home.
So although pay not ace (it aint too rubbish really) it may have the possibility of being a kind of teaching apprenticeship.

She did say that there are often 'add-ons' as well that can put it up a little bit, the guy in the same job at her school is 1 of the First Aiders for example.

so we'll see how this 1 go's

Good luck mate, it's always good to see people in here be successful but when it all falls into place for you I think it's going to be a disco in this thread. Fingers crossed for Friday.

Good luck mate, it's always good to see people in here be successful but when it all falls into place for you I think it's going to be a disco in this thread. Fingers crossed for Friday.

the way the pay is structured, even down to the way the payslips are structured can make a big difference in this case but there are so many permutations of how it might be done that I'm going to need to ask more regarding that than I would do normally.
ideally pay slip shows 37 hrs for 52 weeks of year on a lower hourly rate.
opposite end of scale get paid over 40 weeks at 37 a week (in this case though I think it gets paid over 44 with holiday pay)

likelihood ... amount of contracted hours is averaged over the 52 weeks at 28hrs per week.

could make a difference on tax credits of around £1150 per year.

I just saw a site with a minimum income calculator that comes up with a figure required by your household for an acceptable standard of living & it said we need £48k per annum, tbh I'd be made up if we had that but I don't know what they base that on because we'd have a far different life if we had 4k a month to spend.

I'll start a 'work... It's crap really isn't it ' thread once sorted with employment.

cos no matter how good the pay & conditions are we'd all (even @The Esk & billionaire Texan @TXBill ) would love to be gentlemen of leisure without a care in the world financially, healthwise or anything else, coming & going as we please doing wtf we like whenever tf we like.

the way the pay is structured, even down to the way the payslips are structured can make a big difference in this case but there are so many permutations of how it might be done that I'm going to need to ask more regarding that than I would do normally.
ideally pay slip shows 37 hrs for 52 weeks of year on a lower hourly rate.
opposite end of scale get paid over 40 weeks at 37 a week (in this case though I think it gets paid over 44 with holiday pay)

likelihood ... amount of contracted hours is averaged over the 52 weeks at 28hrs per week.

could make a difference on tax credits of around £1150 per year.

I just saw a site with a minimum income calculator that comes up with a figure required by your household for an acceptable standard of living & it said we need £48k per annum, tbh I'd be made up if we had that but I don't know what they base that on because we'd have a far different life if we had 4k a month to spend.

Is that 48k pre or post tax?

Is that 48k pre or post tax?

pre I think, either way we're falling a hell of a lot short. Like I say though I don't know what they base it on cos if we had that & were spending it all then we'd be living a life that you wouldnt just class it as a basic standard of living.
http://www.minimumincome.org.uk/

it gives a breakdown but says we need about 23.5 k each before tax or £788 after tax incl Child benefit.

I wish .... & will still wish if I get this job

Got a job today. After a few knockbacks recently I decided not to prepare for it at all. Just be myself, not spout cliches and mumble a few witty asides. Whether that is the reason I got it, or they were so desperate they'd take anyone, only time will tell. lol

Got an email last night regarding a job I applied for as an Apprentice Trainer/Assessor at a college, I've been invited for an interview on Monday but will be required following the interview to give a 15 minute presentation to the panel.

Never done anything like that in my life & am absolutely stumped tbh, I had a quite lengthy chat with the manager bvefore applying and of the 2 positions that were advertised it's not the 1 that he said I was "ideally suited to," that the interview is for. Given that he told me that I was from exactly the background with the experience that they want I'm not really sure why they'd put this presentation thing in there as anyone else from the same background would be highly unlikely to have had to do 1 either... machining & fitting job interviews tend to show you the task & see if you have that experience. They also want documentary evidence to support the presentation as well so I'm assuming they want some kind of powerpoint presentation... again something that I've never even attempted.

The job he said I was ideally suited to was starting out instructing 1st year apprentices during their basic training, whilst completing the NVQ assessor qual myself, i realise that being a college you are on occasions standing in front of a class but it's a bit different explaining how to go about completing a task than what they are asking for.

Gonna have to withdraw my application I reckon or risk just making a fool of myself & wasting an afternoon.

Anyone had to do this at an interview ?
Googling it they come up with 5 min & 10 min presentations so is 15 mins also a bit out of the norm ? seems like a lot to come up with really.

oh, the subject...
‘Along with the established apprenticeship programmes at the College, what opportunities do you think there are for commercial growth within the sector and how would you support and generate further income for the Engineering division’

I could come up with an answer to that specific question but I really don't think I could fill 15 minutes with it, in fact the answer would probably last less than 2.

any help greatly appreciated.

@Reidy's Bottle Of Grecian

Along with the established apprenticeship programmes at the College, what opportunities do you think there are for commercial growth within the sector and how would you support and generate further income for the Engineering division

This sounds like you'd be working alongside third parties such as engineering firms? I am familiar with this line of work as an associate of many universities in the UK, you'll be identifying ( from the sounds of things) new talent and opportunities for them in bigger firms, and in return, you'll get the sponsorship, and working partnerships from the bigger firms. You'll have to mention the new opportunities presented by stuff like GDPR and Brexit in light of data ownership and how engineering firms can adapt to it.

@Reidy's Bottle Of Grecian

This sounds like you'd be working alongside third parties such as engineering firms? I am familiar with this line of work as an associate of many universities in the UK, you'll be identifying ( from the sounds of things) new talent and opportunities for them in bigger firms, and in return, you'll get the sponsorship, and working partnerships from the bigger firms. You'll have to mention the new opportunities presented by stuff like GDPR and Brexit in light of data ownership and how engineering firms can adapt to it.

but the actual job is showing apprentices how to do/make stuff & in the case of the 1st year it starts from the very beginning/basic stuff. Going out to the employers only happens after getting the NVQ Assessor Qual & then it's to check that they are completing their 'units' & identifying what they need to do more of.
Cobbling together a presentation about something that you're having to actually look up yourself sounds like a recipe for disaster should they start asking questions or for more detail, I've never even done a powerpoint in my life either btw so wouldnt really know where to start with that - I know that the kids used to do them & then they weren't compatible at school due to our old software at home.
Does 15 mins sound a bit excessive ? seems like a lot of time to fill to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back