Jack rodwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine just a few years back, around the time he played his first game for England, if someone told you "Yeah that Jack lad is not worth it, in fact Henderson will be miles ahead of him on the list of english midfield talent. Oh, and he's not even close to going to Brazil".

You'd be fuming your face off!

Imagine just a few years back, around the time he played his first game for England, if someone told you "Yeah that Jack lad is not worth it, in fact Henderson will be miles ahead of him on the list of english midfield talent. Oh, and he's not even close to going to Brazil".

You'd be fuming your face off!
Yes, everything seems to have gone wrong for Jack, would have thought at one time he would become an England regular,met him a few times nice lad shame it hasn't worked out for him,but we got £15m + add ons circa £18m.

He looked really poor at times for us. Among the worst players I've seen play for us actually, and I had a good think about whether that was hyperbole before typing it. I don't think it is.

At other times he looked like he could be pretty good. I remember a cup game at home to Chelsea that went to extra time in which he excelled, the one where Drenthe got sent off. Rodwell was me 'arld fella's pick for man of the match that night.

Its a bit of a humdinger, its not impossible that he could grow into the next Gareth Barry with the right guidance and game time. Spending a year on loan with us as GB's understudy would show us how likely it really is.

Loan-to-buy, says I.

If we could do a loan deal I'd have him back 100%. He is still relatively young, cool and composed, two footed, skillful and when fit has a good bit of pace, it's just the "when fit" that is the problem.

If all things go well next season we should be looking at playing 60+ games and if we can keep Barry, get Rodwell added to McCarthy, Gibson, Barkley, Osman, Lundstram and/or Ledson all rotating for the three midfield places we would have a perfect blend of youth and experience and enough bodies to be able to focus whatever cash we have on Lukaku.

If we could do a loan deal I'd have him back 100%. He is still relatively young, cool and composed, two footed, skillful and when fit has a good bit of pace, it's just the "when fit" that is the problem.

If all things go well next season we should be looking at playing 60+ games and if we can keep Barry, get Rodwell added to McCarthy, Gibson, Barkley, Osman, Lundstram and/or Ledson all rotating for the three midfield places we would have a perfect blend of youth and experience and enough bodies to be able to focus whatever cash we have on Lukaku.

Totally agree with this, we don't need 40 games from him but if he can play 20-25 and have good rest periods to avoid injury or recover then all good, we can then spend the budget elsewhere. If he gets another long term injury we can send him back and get someone else in Jan.

Even if he wasn't injury prone, I believe there would be better options available.

That ship has sailed.

Totally agree with this, we don't need 40 games from him but if he can play 20-25 and have good rest periods to avoid injury or recover then all good, we can then spend the budget elsewhere. If he gets another long term injury we can send him back and get someone else in Jan.

Exactly. Also if you look at the way Martinez handles and encourages his players, both old and young I think he would nurture Rodwell and bring the best out of him like he did when he had Cleverley at Wigan.
For me, Jack Rodwell would be an ideal fit for Roberto's style.

Even if he wasn't injury prone, I believe there would be better options available.

That ship has sailed.

He may not be league title standard but I believe that, given an injury free spell, he could be a great addition to our midfield and a great addition to a squad that's playing in Europe and pushing for top 4. He would thrive under the guidance of Martinez and most of all he's part of the club, he knows Everton. I'd love to see him back and playing for a manager who wants him and wants to play football.

Dont see the problem if we get him on a loan with a view to sign if it works sign him if not send him back

I can definately see us trying to do a permanent deal for Barry and get him in on loan.

Im convinced were going to go for Cleverley on a permanent, That Colback from Sunderland is a free agent apparently and hes been linked and is avoiding signing a new contract...you have to wonder how many short range passing midfielders were going to need.

Exactly. Also if you look at the way Martinez handles and encourages his players, both old and young I think he would nurture Rodwell and bring the best out of him like he did when he had Cleverley at Wigan.
For me, Jack Rodwell would be an ideal fit for Roberto's style.

He looked a lot better playing for England than he did for us, he had license to bomb forward whereas he played in a defensive role under Moyes.

I'd love to know where the myth about Rodwell being cool and composed comes from. He was the worst deer in the headlights I've ever seen play for us when he was closed down. Remember when we were 2-0 up at home to Lisbon and he inexplicably twatted a pass at Distin with about 4 times the required force, completely catching Sylvain off guard and leading to them scoring an away goal with only about a minute remaining?

Just because he has smooth skin and seems quiet in interviews doesn't mean he's a composed presence on the pitch. He was anything but much of the time.

Reactions: FTY
It's tempting as there is so much potential there. Really, though, being injury-prone is as much a fundamental part of a player as having a poor touch, or being bad in front of goal. It's not something players can easily transcend - seems like it is always with them.

I hope he can get back to playing regularly - there must be some examples of players who put years of injury problems behind them. James Vaughan (to name another blue sick note with bags of potential) looked to be getting a solid couple of seasons under his belt with Huddersfield, but I see he was out again for the end of this season with his knee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back