Jack rodwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
GN.
What age was Rodwell when he played against Lisbon ?
Even now Rodwell is a young player that is probably another three or four years from being at his peak , never mind when he played against Lisbon.

Rodwell suffers from being too good too soon. There was too much expected of him.
The same could possibly have been said about Barkley, as a player he has probably benefited from the way he was handled by David Moyes.
Moyes held him back longer than most supporters wanted,but it does appear tohave allowed Barkley to develop at a slower pace and under less of a spotlight.
A spotlight which shone squarely on Rodwell from a very young age as probably the best of his age group.

I'd love to know where the myth about Rodwell being cool and composed comes from. He was the worst deer in the headlights I've ever seen play for us when he was closed down. Remember when we were 2-0 up at home to Lisbon and he inexplicably twatted a pass at Distin with about 4 times the required force, completely catching Sylvain off guard and leading to them scoring an away goal with only about a minute remaining?

Just because he has smooth skin and seems quiet in interviews doesn't mean he's a composed presence on the pitch. He was anything but much of the time.

Valid point but I would point the finger of blame squarely at Ginger Bollocks and his safety first approach, that and the fact he was still 17/18?

So that's one saying Moyes wasn't cautious enough with Rodwell, and one saying he was too cautious. #DATFUCKINMOYLES

Whether Rodwell was young at the time or Moyes mishandled his development are irrelevant to whether his reputation as "cool and composed" is well earned. It isn't. Possibly for the reasons you two highlight.

Must admit the romance of rodders coming back and playing well under Martinez kills any logical thought process with me

GN.
I not saying that the treatment of Rodwell was cautious or not.
I am saying that when he played in Lisbon he was a youngster still learning his trade at the highest level.
Youngsters make mistakes and can sometimes play very badly. Allowances have to be made for this and in the white hot pressure cooker that is the premiership you only see the very best get a chance to play.
Remember Colemans first European game. I remember people saying he should never again pull on a blue jersey.
The biggest hindrance to signing Rodwell again is his history of injury.

BTW , just because we tried to sign a player in January does not mean we will be back in for him in the summer. At the time I think RM felt we were a bit light in central midfield and a long term injury to Barry or McCarthy would certainly have caused up problems.
But now ,we will have Gibson back and we have also had rumours about Diame,Cork and Colback to name just three.

GN.
I not saying that the treatment of Rodwell was cautious or not.
I am saying that when he played in Lisbon he was a youngster still learning his trade at the highest level.
Youngsters make mistakes and can sometimes play very badly. Allowances have to be made for this and in the white hot pressure cooker that is the premiership you only see the very best get a chance to play.
Mate, I haven't said anything that contravenes any of this. But on the previous page Rodwell was called 'cool and composed' - as he often is - when he was nothing of the sort when he played for us.

A Google search for "Jack Rodwell" gets 1,270,000 results. A Google search for "Jack Rodwell composed" gets 580,000. Taking this as a proxy, 46% of the times Jack Rodwell is spoken about someone says he's composed. He isn't. He just has really, really nice skin.

After 2 years in the wilderness at City where they have paid him over £5milion to score 2 goals and make 10 tackles he surely deserves another chance to succeed. Roberto is the man to nurture and inspire the obvious talent that has been left to stagnate in the unnatural billion pound environment that produces arguably the best player in the league moaning about a 'birthday cake'.

I would bid £2.8m and no more. But is it even true that Martinez wanted him back on loan, or just paper talk? Like the Fernando thing, that we went in for a work permit. You never know what's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back