Transfer Rumour Jadon Philogene

But that would be no better than just doing nothing and letting him go to Ipswich and taking the 30% of the profit.

Even if we’re just talking PSR they can get 4m of pure profit from doing nothing. If no one is willing to pay more than 18 there’s no trickery that makes them more money than that.

Maybe they want the player, maybe they’d make more profit in the future (not guaranteed). But however you massage the numbers they’d be paying 9m net just to own a player they already owned. It’s wastage.

If we hadn't have sold him - as you say, he'd still be our player. Fair enough and right. But we sold him and 5m (or so) went onto the accounts. We then take a hit of around 9m in buying him back which amortised shows a hit on the accounts of around 2m per season. So, if we sell him by the third summer we're still in a profit in terms of the 5m and two summers of paying 2m. We've bought and sold our own player and made 1m. Then we sell again. And make even more profit. Not sure its wastage, more creative.

Well both him and richarlison have decent pace they're definitely not slow not the fastest in the league , did you remember Richie making numeric runs on the break and either scoring or having a chance beating the defender?
Having a chance to and then not doing it, yes I remember. Nobody is scared of Harrison 1v1. That’s not entirely on pace but it wouldn’t hurt to have someone who has it. Biggest thing missing from our attack last year.

Having a chance to and then not doing it, yes I remember. Nobody is scared of Harrison 1v1. That’s not entirely on pace but it wouldn’t hurt to have someone who has it. Biggest thing missing from our attack last year.
That was not the issue with our attack in my opinion how we set up which even if you have Usain bolt he's not getting to the box to support dcl if he's stationed deep in the other half and the lack of clinical striking along with players chasing a shot for the ricchochet

Yeah there may well be logic to them signing him back. But my original point was just that there is no version of this where they’re better off selling him for 5 and re-signing for 14 than if they just hadn’t sold him in the first place. It’s wastage and if we re-signed a player under the same circumstances (like Cannon or Simms) most people would see it as such, EVEN IF it was a reasonable signing in isolation.

Started at 0, they made 5, buy at 13 net, PSR cost about 3.5 mill, sell again for 18, 23 million PSR from 0 - while using a now PL player others are fighting for for a year or longer.

Interesting the approach - with Archer and the other young players they sold last summer i wonder do they have similar clauses if one comes good - if so seems like a strategy.

If we could make 4 times the 7 million we paid for Cannon by resigning, id be open to resigning him, if he turned in improved performances like Philly.

Last edited:

Sky reported we've gone to the 18 million and have a deal in place with Hull - its on the transfer live thingy.

Aston Villa rival Ipswich, Everton for Hull's Philogene​

Latest from Sky Sports News' Lyall Thomas, Adrian Kajumba and Dharmesh Sheth:
Aston Villa have matched the agreements other clubs have reached with Hull for Jaden Philogene.
A clause exists in the winger's Hull contract that allows for Villa - his former club - to match any bids from other teams.
Ipswich and Everton have agreed £18m deals in principle with Hull to sign Philogene.
Crystal Palace are also understood to be interested. The decision now rests with the player.
Philogene joined Hull from Villa for £5m last year.
If Philogene decides to join Villa, it is understood that Ipswich will continue with their separate deal for his Hull team-mate Jacob Greaves.

The statement of a confused mind.

Ipswich may have more PSR leeway, however £2m is one league position. We would have finished last season higher without 2x points deductions and lost around £10m as a result. To suggest £2m will knock us into a points deduction is just silly talk, particularly when one or both of DCL/Onana will likely be gone by the 31st August.

A CL club with good recruitment seems to think a young starlet has a bright future (alongside other clubs) yet you do not think the club should pay an extra £2m, Whilst we have Jack Harrison (no disrespect to Jack) in his position offering not a lot in the final third.

You turn your nose up at players like Zaha & Wilson, who have/are playing Champions League football whilst we spend hundreds of millions of pounds on Tosuns, Iwobi's & Bolasies.

A man who understands football, understands better players equal's higher league positions, european qualification and higher revenue / sponsorships. Speculate to accumulate.

I never had you down as a happy clapper but the stuff you're coming out with is delusional/obtuse.

The approach is fine if it’s a one off transfer but if you take that same approach ie “it’s only £2m, we’ll earn that back via league position payouts” to multiple transfers then overspending by £2m becomes, £4m, £6m, £8m etc - which suddenly does become an issue and amounts to the cost of a new player.
What happens if signing an extra £2n on this player means we’re £2m short on a right back or central midfielder? Should we just spend an extra £2m on them as well?

The club is right to have, and stick to their valuations.

If we hadn't have sold him - as you say, he'd still be our player. Fair enough and right. But we sold him and 5m (or so) went onto the accounts. We then take a hit of around 9m in buying him back which amortised shows a hit on the accounts of around 2m per season. So, if we sell him by the third summer we're still in a profit in terms of the 5m and two summers of paying 2m. We've bought and sold our own player and made 1m. Then we sell again. And make even more profit. Not sure its wastage, more creative.
No offence but this is exactly what I mean by mental gymnastics. You can move numbers around all you like but you can’t change numbers and 14 is always 9 more than 5.

If you re-sign him for 14 you are 9m worse off than if you’d never sold him. No matter how you account for that, no matter how or when it goes on the books that’s 9m out the door.

Profit is and always will be what you sell for less what you paid. If you re-sign him you’ll be at -9 when you could’ve been 0. Don’t confuse accountancy for reality.

The approach is fine if it’s a one off transfer but if you take that same approach ie “it’s only £2m, we’ll earn that back via league position payouts” to multiple transfers then overspending by £2m becomes, £4m, £6m, £8m etc - which suddenly does become an issue and amounts to the cost of a new player.
What happens if signing an extra £2n on this player means we’re £2m short on a right back or central midfielder? Should we just spend an extra £2m on them as well?

The club is right to have, and stick to their valuations.

And as I press ‘post’ it appears as though we’ve agreed to pay the extra £2m. Everton - always mugging me off. Cheers boys

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back