January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt say I didnt want De Ligt, I just said we dont need an 18 year old CB and caution should be used when judging players from the CURRENT Dutch League, IMO.

To be honest Zat you have bigged up every young player EVER since you joined, maybe 1 day you will actually mention a player that goes on to do something in the game, I wont hold my breath.

We have Holgate just signing a new contract who finally seems to be playing central - hopefully long term he stays in that position now, Keane who is still young - more so if you factor in his relative little top level experience - and who showed his confidence can be shaken badly and his form gone to pot, Williams and Jags who are both in the wind down stage of their careers, and Mori who wasn't that good to begin with and has had a really bad injury.

No chance on earth we would sign a centre back whose young/inexperienced to partner alongside Holgate/Keane - who have both little experience and have shown that they aren't exactly gonna be leading a back line themselves any-time soon. We also won't be taking a punt on a player from abroad unless he has either played in this league before or is a very proven player (unlikely)

Much more likely is we go with what we have already until summer, or we bring in a 26-30yo whose had a good few years playing in this league (a Smalling type signing) which overall isn't exactly gonna be the end of days if we do it.

Don't make the same mistake again. Don't buy crap just to see which ones will stick.

Buy a striker and a CB/LB. That's pretty much it. Offload the dross, buy what's necessary.

Couldn't care less than Barkley is going. Yes, very angry that he's stabbed the club in the back to line his own pockets, but from a footballing point of view we'll not miss him. Rather Sigurdsson than him, and no room in the side for both of them. Maybe we can get 10m in January, who knows, maybe a club will want to secure him rather than wait and hope he'll choose them on a bosman. But like Sam says, I reckon a deal has been agreed for end of season. Bad attitude, thinks he's bigger than the club, and who knows how he'll return after a bad injury.

There's no excuse to not have a striker lined up, but I don't expect a deal will be imminent.

Got to get a left back in, but who could we get in January who is tried and tested in our league? It's a tricky time of the season.

We have so many fringe players that surely must leave, namely Sandro, Klaassen, even McCarthy and hopefully Besic and Mirallas. None of them would be missed, and that's a big amount of money if we can offload those. Add Stekelenburg to that list too. Jagielka can be released in the summer, for now he can do a job from the bench.

Expecting a striker in January, but now really expecting anything else that will markedly improve the starting line up.

Havent seen enough of either of them to know them inside out...but their main attribute seems to be pace yeah.

I think these days you really need pace in defence, not necessarily electric but decent enough to be able to play a high line -- that's why Kenny and Holgate, whilst not whippet like, are improving us. We need 2 more players with pace at the back then the high line means our defence is closer to the forwards who are now in closer proximity to the midfielders.

Regarding wingers, if we sit deep then we need pace...if we are able to play a high defensive line I wouldn't bother with wingers, id play lookman as an inside forward and find another one for the right side...

We'd then have Lookman/Henry on the left and New player+ Dowell on the right next season alternating...id sell the rest.
Keane's rapid. Big Sam will turn him into a quality player. We need a left back then the defence is sound for a bit, with Coleman hopefully coming back later on in the season.

I was gonna suggest Ryan Bertrand but he's only 4 years younger than Baines, so the 25m or so we'd need to sign him probably wouldn't be money well spent.

Keane's rapid. Big Sam will turn him into a quality player. We need a left back then the defence is sound for a bit, with Coleman hopefully coming back later on in the season.

is he quick? I hardly saw him before he signed (didn't take much notice) and people were saying he was fast...

Cant say ive seen him move too quickly since he signed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back