January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually every time I've seen Jonny Evans recently he was been excellent.My Utd mate said he was miles better than Jones and Smalling at United.

Chilwell or Tierney ????

No contest

Tierney every single time. Lad is an absolute baller

Walsh/board have known since September we desperately need a striker, if we don't sign one Jan 1st what have they been doing surely must have someone lined up? also Bertrand for left back?

I really hope we don’t over pay for some recycled mid table striker. We are not going to get relegated. Get who is the best fit going forward and start now. It’s really not complicated.

Welcome Benteke .....FFS

Chilwell is decent defensively, but offers nothing going forward to warrant a 40m price tag, hes just a decent Premier League LB, I appreciate that hes young, but I think you are overselling him loads.

I'm hoping that Keane will be gone before too long.

Happy to be proven wrong, but he looks a complete buffoon to me.

I'd like to see Everton open up and become a bit more expansive once the nightmare start is well and truly in the rear view mirror, and I don't see how someone as awkward and limited as Keane could fit into that.

Again I think thats harsh, hes very good on the ball, normally, time will tell of course, but I suspect he will come good.

40m for Chilwell Zat??? ffs mate the kid can barely defend.

I'd take a punt for 15m max and they wouldn't sell him for that so it's a no.

We spunked 30m on Keane and 25m on Klassen. Anything over 50p and Walsh shouldn't be trusted with it.

Can you imagine 40m on Chilwell though ffs, my head woukd literally roll off.

I HATE agreeing with Zat but for Leicester to consider selling Chillwell I'd reckon it would honestly be around that price for him.

They have no reason to sell him. His age. He's English. All add up.

As much as I like him it would be insane to offer that for him.

So no.

£15 mill and no more

We won't be spending £40m in total - Nevermind all in one fell swoop for Leicester City's back up LB

Is how much he's probably really worth. But that wouldn't even make Leicester blink.

So we won't be getting him. And probably aren't even interested anyway.

depends how much they rate him ??? If we are going to spend £ 40m though, it needs to be on a striker.

Pretty sure they rate him a lot.

Can't see us lashing that much about in January to be honest. On any position.

I think when keane gets back in the side he will be very good. He was at Burnley in a well organised side. Look at the difference in Williams in the last month.

He's also a bit [Poor language removed] mate.

Everton should consider Lautaro Martinez. He is a young forward who is already a figure in the Argentine tournament and in the Argentina U20 national team.

He was awarded as the "best U20 player of America" this year.

He has a lot of pace, is very strong and is an amazing finisher.

Atletico Madrid is very interested and it is rumored that they will buy it when the next Copa Libertadores ends.

Martinez?

Absolute fear.

Chilwell Has been hyped for years and is now finally first choice left back for them. He's only 3 months older than Kenny and how much would we sell Kenny for? Well, we wouldn't sell him...perhaps its the 'romantic' in me but I would really like it if we had 4 English international defenders in front of Pickford...Kenny and Holgate have a fair chance of caps if they keep improving + Keane has already been capped. I think the age of Chilwell, Tierney and also Aaron Martin (linked yesterday) is ideal as it adds to our group of 20ish year olds. Would like Sessegnon though :) Sessegnon is interesting as he can play LB or LM but seems to have everything really, looks like being a very good wing back in future.

Keane I had hardly seen him (or paid attention) when we were being linked 12months ago. I caught a couple of his games and he looked solid if unspectacular but assumed that was just because of how deep Burnleys defence was sat. People have posted that hes quite fast and very good in the air, ive not seen much evidence of anything...however Allardyce will suss him out and he'll either be starting or sold by the end of the season. I hope he forms a good partnership with Holgate myself.

Martinez is the next big thing to come out of South America. Recently Atletico signed a couple of others from down there but theyre quite lightweight...this guy is strong and is going to be the next superstar to develop at that club. I don't think we have much chance of signing him,

Chilwell Has been hyped for years and is now finally first choice left back for them. He's only 3 months older than Kenny and how much would we sell Kenny for? Well, we wouldn't sell him...perhaps its the 'romantic' in me but I would really like it if we had 4 English international defenders in front of Pickford...Kenny and Holgate have a fair chance of caps if they keep improving + Keane has already been capped. I think the age of Chilwell, Tierney and also Aaron Martin (linked yesterday) is ideal as it adds to our group of 20ish year olds. Would like Sessegnon though :) Sessegnon is interesting as he can play LB or LM but seems to have everything really, looks like being a very good wing back in future.

Keane I had hardly seen him (or paid attention) when we were being linked 12months ago. I caught a couple of his games and he looked solid if unspectacular but assumed that was just because of how deep Burnleys defence was sat. People have posted that hes quite fast and very good in the air, ive not seen much evidence of anything...however Allardyce will suss him out and he'll either be starting or sold by the end of the season. I hope he forms a good partnership with Holgate myself.

Martinez is the next big thing to come out of South America. Recently Atletico signed a couple of others from down there but theyre quite lightweight...this guy is strong and is going to be the next superstar to develop at that club. I don't think we have much chance of signing him,

Don't really care about hype on a player mate, Chilwell isn't that good a player, the comparisons by the media etc to a younger Baines are frankly insulting to Baines who at his peak is a mile above anything Chilwell will be - never mind the level Chilwell currently is at.

Taking away for example his under 21/23 games, he has played 48 times for Leicester with a grand total of 1 assist for example. Kenny has that many in 10 games already this season - in a team that doesn't have any strikers....

As for the notion of having a complete British/English back 4 and keeper, why - you should just look at getting the best players whom work well together rather than set up any Brexit defence ;)

The reality is that more than likely we will not look at a long term replacement Baines who will walk straight into the starting 11 right now btw, and IF we did then it would more than likely badly impact Kenny and his number of games and development. We WILL be playing Coleman at fullback soon as he returns and he will return strong as well - he's young enough and has the right attitude to do so.

Which means Kenny either sits on the bench for this and the next season filling in only when Coleman has a knock OR we decide to switch either him or Seamus over to the left so as to play both for periods.

Summary of a very long winding post, it is great to have a young slant on the side, but you need balance otherwise you end up creating other problems

Think that's a fair shout.

He hasn't settled well, don't think any player had an arm put round them by RK.

Get him some experience and then decided. Same for Sandro.

and business wise it also makes sense, you are getting 1 or 2 loan fees returning some of the money paid out for the player, getting a lot or all the wages off the books short term, and the player gets to play and hopefully show why we paid the money in the first place. Meaning in an ideal world you either get a confident player returning to the club, or you re inflate the players worth if the club wishes to move them on

probably, Id still class him as an 'out' though...id say he will have a clause inserted for teams to buy him if he goes on loan.

Klassen no chance we'd be able to offload him right now without a massive financial hit mate, and doubt any club would agree to a loan clause inserted at the price we'd want, best for us as a club is to loan him where he will play and do well, and come the summer re-evaluate - with hopefully him having restored what right now is a damaged reputation for any teams wanting him

sod it, if were getting shot of Snake Barkley then we should be having a look at Mkhitaryan. Him in the centre with Siggy and Vlasic/Bolasie,behind a good striker would be fantastic.

Might have to ship out another failing No10 though

This is the kind of player we could attract. Players that have played well, got their big move and now want playing time .

Personally my preference would be Ryan Sessegnon and then Ben Chilwell as 2nd choice.

I actually thought we signed baines at 21 but in fact he joined just before he turned 23. With that in mind, Chilwell has 2 years on Baines at the same stage--if he was to join in January and the potential is there to be a very good player for us.

I like that he's English and adds to our young English u21 contingent...Id favour that above a foreign player as its beneficial to have several players coming through the England set up together.

The one concern would be the cost...however (and I doubt anyone will agree with me!) id be fine with paying 40mil for either Sessegnon or Chilwell. Why? Its because it covers our left back position with a English u21 player for the next decade.

Our back five could include Pickford, Chilwell, Keane, Holgate, Kenny...all English u21 or full internationals.

Trouble is mate... England are crap and have been for ages and it doesn't look like chamgimg any time soon. So signing England players actually sounds a lot more imporessive than it actually is

Klassen no chance we'd be able to offload him right now without a massive financial hit mate, and doubt any club would agree to a loan clause inserted at the price we'd want, best for us as a club is to loan him where he will play and do well, and come the summer re-evaluate - with hopefully him having restored what right now is a damaged reputation for any teams wanting him

I don't mean a guaranteed sale clause, just a clause that if they want to sign him in summer after his loan they pay X. Really a ridiculous signing and I'm not sure who would take him...just have to hope for an Italian side.

This is the kind of player we could attract. Players that have played well, got their big move and now want playing time .

Like Schneiderlin...

Trouble is mate... England are crap and have been for ages and it doesn't look like chamgimg any time soon. So signing England players actually sounds a lot more imporessive than it actually is

We won the Euros and the world cup with Kennys age group...there are a lot of very good players coming through.

Also, its about the team rather than individuals...every successful club over a period of time has had a core number of English players...if we go down this route then add in foreign stars on top in key positions we should be ok...

Its cheaper and allows us to focus on one or two stars a season to be signed rather than huge upheaval.

Walsh/board have known since September we desperately need a striker, if we don't sign one Jan 1st what have they been doing surely must have someone lined up? also Bertrand for left back?
It is unlikely to happen on the 1 January, whoever we buy from will probably look to get a replacement so it may take a few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back