January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We win quite a lot of headers at the moment from gylfi corners and free kicks. Except Keane who you mentioned has powered them way over the bar when unmarked. Williams has got his head on quite a lot too.
Not enough though with that service. Seriously, watch how often the other sides get a solid head on the ball. It's seriously like every other kick.

Keane has missed two big ones the last couple weeks, but when Williams and Holgate are in there, the treat is minimal. Mori would love Gylfi, actually.

Any chance we could lash in a £40M bid for Alexis Sanchez?

Arsenal have said they are looking for at least £25M for him, He'd never in a month of Sundays contemplate coming to us but it would start the bidding off at well over the odds for the RS getting him as a replacement for Coutinho.

Worst that could possibly happen is that we end up with him. (0% chance of that happening next Summer when he's released for free)

We're not going to bid for a player just to make the RS bid higher on a player that will never go there. He's leaving arsenal because he's ambitious, he's not going to take the step down to the RS because he won't end up in any better state than he is now.

Any chance we could lash in a £40M bid for Alexis Sanchez?

Arsenal have said they are looking for at least £25M for him, He'd never in a month of Sundays contemplate coming to us but it would start the bidding off at well over the odds for the RS getting him as a replacement for Coutinho.

Worst that could possibly happen is that we end up with him. (0% chance of that happening next Summer when he's released for free)

Mate?

Just polished off the christmas sherry?

I’d love us to get Fellaini back. Surely we could make that deal happen if we wanted to??

Would be excellent signing even at 30 but wages the problem. Get rid of Mirallas and a couple of other earners who are doing nothing and we could cover it, but it might cause upset in the ranks...with Rooney, Siggy etc on less. Felli wants £150k a week.
Felli would love Siggis set pieces.....

I’d love us to get Fellaini back. Surely we could make that deal happen if we wanted to??

Absolutely no chance. He'll only play for CL level clubs from here on out. Can see him being in the PSG squad if he can be signed on a free at the end of the season.

Absolutely no chance. He'll only play for CL level clubs from here on out. Can see him being in the PSG squad if he can be signed on a free at the end of the season.

one of those underated yard dogs that evry successful teams need.

Decent viewpoints mate, pretty sure the player you have alluded to is Evans like, which i am very mixed on, think he is a player whose price is at an optimum atm due to a purple patch of form and whose at an age where if he loses a step we could end up bacdk with the same mess at the back come a seasons time - then again i don't think that type of signing would worry Allrdcye as it fits the maximum window he would likely be here anyway, so would become the next mans issue.

as for Gaitan - think he's someone who needs to be playing regularly, but whilst his time at Athletico has been mixed - look at the talent he has to get past in that team? at Benfica he was brilliant and consistently so when played regularly, both in the league and in Europe for them. There also comes a point where having a lot of solid types with little ability to do something different sees you with a pedestrian and predictable team which is easy as hell to stop - which is what we are now and under Koeman for large parts.

De Vrij has had a lot of niggles over the last few years, but when fit is a very good player, again - we aren't gonna get a top end cb (which he is) who doesn't have some issues, the key is to identify the ones worth that sleight gamble on, otherwise again we end up with a 'dependable' but ultimately bog average team. checked his injury history and he's missed 15 games with about 7 separate knocks since knee surgery a season and a half ago, which taken as a whole means he's been available about 80% of the time for Lazio, played 31 games last season, played 22 so far in this, would suggest he is worth the risk.

Tierney you are probably right about, BUT i honestly don't see Celtic turning down a big offer especially if it comes from the type of team willing to give them then a sizeable sell on fee - and the type of team who they can be pretty confident by their history can get massive fees for players like Stones and Lukaku etc. Failing that - Shaw i do like and would, likely be available, and the lad from Bristol seems the last resort for me, could be good, at worst is a lot better than what we have atm.

Turan - again worth the gamble IMO, plus would definitely help with Tosun settling at the club bringing in two of the same nationality etc - and with one eye on him and Gaitan both fitting the past model of Allardyce getting a tune out of a creative once great player whose noit had the best of it the past few seasons etc.

Nzonzi - no brainer to get him, performed well ij this country before,performed very well for the manager, and has only improved from his time in Spain

Honestly don't know much about some of the others being linked lately - like Seri (who looks good in clips etc) and the lad from Hoffenheim - who again looks a very good player from what i can see - and fills the Turk quota nicely as well, same goes for Max who looks and who has the stats that say he could be a very good player, but doubt any of those are realistic shouts

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back