Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Superfluous players are superfluous for a reason, they don't need replacing. We still have the same gaps in the squad that Koeman was talking about in August - left-back, and an extra striker if Niasse goes.

'Superfluous' might be wrong in describing them. 'Not contributing' might be a better term. They need replacing to add competition to the squad?

Not necessarily. Small squads generally have a better atmosphere. The last couple of years was a case of how not to do it. It will help just getting rid and not replacing.

Still need a squad and players feeling they need to play well to stay in the team?

I don't actually think loads will be - or of the ones that will be, we'll be the best.

United may need a left-back, but there's doubts over Mourinho's future as it is and they'd most likely want a really big name for that position if so... It looks like Rose.

Spurs... Suppose they're a possibility should Rose leave, but Tierney would have to settle for second-fiddle and at this stage the lad knows he needs regular games.

L'Pool. Again, they have Robertson and Moreno. One of them would have to go and then it'd be between Tierney and whoever else (probably Robertson).

Arsenal. They have Kolasinac plus Monreal. Suppose it depends if they see it as a dire need in the summer.

City and Chelsea won't go for him.

So that really leaves us and the rest of the league. Leicester have Chilwell, even if Fuchs does leave. If we can cement ourselves as among the best of the rest again this term, I see no reason why we couldn't attract him in the summer. I just don't think he'll be leaving this window, and the fact Celtic are open to selling Dembele kind of proves that.

Spurs would be a major threat if Rose left.
Celtic being open to offers for Dembele, might actually mean they are open to offers?

Some of them need replacing. But some don't

Opinion on who etc is for each person.

Not entirely, because then you end up with a big and bloated squad and a huge wage bill.

We're now down to one game a week for the rest of the season, with 2-3 breaks for the FA Cup rounds as well.

We can't have a 30-man squad.

We need to dwindle it down to a core of 25 including youth players.

Like @MoutsGoat said, this is how the squad looks as it stands:

*indicates a player currently injured
A player who will leave this window imo

Pickford
Robles (if we get a decent offer this window, sell, as he isn't going to sign a new deal imo)
Stek

Kenny
Coleman*
Martina
Williams
Holgate
Keane
Jagielka
Funes Mori* (think he'll be given the chance to impress once fit in the back half of the season)
Baines*

Besic
Schneiderlin
Gueye
McCarthy
Davies
Baningime (loan)
Klaassen :(

Lennon
Bolasie
Lookman (loan)
Vlasic
Sigurdsson
Rooney

Sandro
DCL
Niasse
Tosun

Evidently, that's way too big but also imbalanced.

We need to be looking at shifting 2-3 central midfielders. I'd like Klaassen to be given a go, but McCarthy, Schneiderlin, Gueye and Davies are all ahead of him.

If three go, we may see a move for a player like Nzonzi.

We're relatively well-stocked in the wings with Bolasie back. Lookman needs games and needs a loan imo. Like Dowell, to a decent Champ club. Get him back playing regularly, beefing up a bit and hopefully scoring goals/getting assists. Same could also be said for Vlasic, though. So I'd look at one of them going on loan and the other being a regular on the bench. I want both to stay and I feel both will, but atm at least one of them needs regular minutes while the other needs a loan.

Lennon will stay, imo. He may even get a one-year extension, even if it is just to sell in the summer.

Niasse and Sandro will probably both be shown the door, which would mean one more striker coming in. I don't see us having any more or less, tbf, than three strikers come the end of the window.

Other than that, it's clear we need a left-back.

We can dream all we want but I doubt Martina will be going anywhere this window. He'll be off in the summer.

So...

Definite: left-back (or a left-sided defender who can cover a few positions)

Depending on outs: Central midfielder, striker

We only end up with a big and bloated squad if we don't move players on.
2 players on your list though..
Besic, wish he could stay fit.
Sandro, wish he could be played and in his correct position.
I'd say the same about Klaasen but, I just don't see it (been wrong before though).

- Napoli are in pole position to sign Barcelona's out-of-favour forward Gerard Deulofeu, reports Sky Sport Italia's Gianluca Di Marzio, though the Blaugrana will not accept any loan deals for the former Everton star.

Correct me if I am wrong please. I thought I remember hearing somewhere that if Barca sold Deulofeu we would a %. Any truth to that at all?

Everton favourites to sign Arsenal forward Theo Walcott in £20m deal

http://dailym.ai/2FjnvxZ

ESPN in the US is also reporting this.

- Napoli are in pole position to sign Barcelona's out-of-favour forward Gerard Deulofeu, reports Sky Sport Italia's Gianluca Di Marzio, though the Blaugrana will not accept any loan deals for the former Everton star.

Correct me if I am wrong please. I thought I remember hearing somewhere that if Barca sold Deulofeu we would a %. Any truth to that at all?

ESPN in the US is also reporting this.
Yeah I remember El Fraudo saying as much

Walcott gets a big no from me - kinda sick of getting the top 6 hand me downs. I would rather we continue to invest in youth than pick up players with no resale value and some miles on the clock. It’s like putting worn tires on your new car...

Just think if we were a top 6 side we would get top 3 hand me downs, we are short of players at their peak, although Walcott is 29 I believe he has a few years yet.

His resale value would be if he scores 15 on top of what Tosun gets in a season and pushes us 2 to 3 places higher in the table

Just looking at what another club would buy him for after 3 years is a little short sighted as we need "peak" players now!

Just a reminder that Walcott scored 19 last year, and wasn't a regular

walcott has been woeful this year, it must be said.

I wouldn't be supremely upset if we signed him or anything though

Agree mate, but look at our squad, who hasn't been woeful at some stage

Believe its his time to get out of The Arse

We believe that its time for certain Everton players to leave, who have a fair chance of reigniting their careers elsewhere!!!

Agree mate, but look at our squad, who hasn't been woeful at some stage

Believe its his time to get out of The Arse

We believe that its time for certain Everton players to leave, who have a fair chance of reigniting their careers elsewhere!!!
If he can come in and make an impact I’m down

Got a feeling Walcott would smash it here if we signed him

Not sure where he'd fit in tho, wide right? Bolasie is redundant from the left IMO but so's Walcott so idk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back