January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
..playing some good stuff. Has Gray finally cemented a starting place?
Not yet, he's still very hot and cold. When you have Mahrez ripping it up on one side and Albrighton performing brilliantly so often on the other (that lad is so underrated), Gray needs to perform to stay in the team and he has too many quiet games.

Very happy with how things are going under Puel, not going to lie I wasn't sure about him to say the least. But he's got us playing and we're finally moving away from JUST counter attacking. Going to chelsea and bossing something like 64% possession until the sending off us almost unheard of for us.

Shaping up nicely

We could now actually field a half decent team **barring new centre half until summer I'd imagine, or until Keane is fit**

-----------Pickford------------
JJK-----Holgate----Jags----*NewLB*
-------Gana---------Rooney
Walcott----Sigurdsson-------Bolasie
----------_Cenk_----------------------

Better or worse than?

Lukaku
Mirallas Barkley Osman
McCarthy Barry
Baines Jagielka Distin Coleman
Howard

Or even last seasons

Lukaku
Mirallas Barkley
Barry Gueye Davies
Baines Williams Jageilka Coleman
Robles

Hi agree we defiantly need a LB, but with the Vardy thing I look at it this way, he's not that young now and I'm not sure any top six would want or need him, I rate us (not that we have shown it) the best of the rest, no disrespect to them but as a club we are bigger than Leicester so coming here would make perfect sense to Vardy, Also the Walsh connection to. Let see what happens but I thought us being linked with another striker was well out of the question, but I feel Walcott seen as a winger so we really only have one decent striker and Vardy is a different sort to him.

I see it differently, if Vardy came to us would it increase up his chances of winning things, nope. Whilst on history we're a bigger club than Leicester we're no different to them now, Vardy jibbed Arsenal to stay at Leicester, so obviously the ties with them are strong.

The only way Vardy comes is if we offered him massive wages, and I wouldn't see it then as a given.

I will hold you to that and insist you take it up with your board if it even becomes a remote possibility
No problem fella, as Kasper said the other day on Match of the Day when asked about Mahrez, we have a stubborn owner and he won't be bullied. Silly bids will always be entertained, but what's the point in Everton doing that. Sensible spending on the right people is the way forward.

Because mate he's available at that price as his contract runs out this season, chances are he already knows where he's going at the end of it, Shaktar are probably just trying to get something for him - but if he has agreed then that seems unlikely

I thought he was out of contract in the summer. So could sign a pre-contact. Maybe fonseca has had a word with Walsh, already preparing for next season.

I'll be surprised if he's already agreed to move somewhere. Just think if we sell sandro for £9 million its basically the same money for someone who would drastically improve our left hand side and at 24 at the very least would be a investment.

At that price hopefully we are at least asking questions. Especially if we are looking at fonseca as manager.

Better or worse than?

Lukaku
Mirallas Barkley Osman
McCarthy Barry
Baines Jagielka Distin Coleman
Howard

Or even last seasons

Lukaku
Mirallas Barkley
Barry Gueye Davies
Baines Williams Jageilka Coleman
Robles
Depends who the LB is but its better all over the park apart from Lukaku and Coleman, who should be back soon

I'm negative because I care and because we are heading in the wrong direction.

I wasn't negative when we were doing things right. I used to be accused of being a Moyes cheerleader and too accepting of finishing 6th every year. I'm not negative in the youth team threads, we are doing great stuff in that part of the club.

However you are right in that I've complained about almost every major signing (except Pickford, though I said he was overpriced) we've made in the last 18 months and been pretty much correct on every one.

Morgan, Huth and Vardy cost <£2m each. I'd be perfectly happy adding peak age players at good value prices. We aren't, we are paying top dollar.

These bad decisions will come back to haunt us.

Cheap price doesn't exist anymore in the world, we have just paid $20 million for a 28 year old with 10 years experience at the top level who is better than what we have right now and what we have been crying out for.

There is talk of getting between 10 and 14 million for Naisse and how much are the looking for the guys from Swansea Mawson, 50 million? we haven't paid over the odds for Theo whatsoever.

I do agree we paid too much for Iceland, but he has been one of the few better players when played in the correct position who I feel will get better for us.

The club isn't what it was when Moist was here, we have a backer, we have the tele money, the resale stuff doesn't add as much weight as it used to, we need peak players now, to play at their best now and we will improve and so will the younger lads under the stewardship of experience

Mate, stop moaning and give the team a chance to improve over the second half of the season, have a good pre season and have a strong start to next year, if it all goes tits up, I am sure I will take it on the chin and say you were correct?

Fair enough and granted impurvious was the wrong word.

I suppose that my point that no team with the exception of a handful can resist bids from bigger teams as they are in fact the bigger teams.

I think what you outline in the position at every team when the player is on a medium to long term deal and it’s a good thing. I think it’s great that the sky money has put weaker/smaller teams in a better position to maximise any gains when it comes to cashing in their assets. The value of the player is set by the selling team and then it’s down to how much the buying team want the player as it was with Gylfi
Every team in the world is a selling team, anyone suggesting otherwise is an idiot. If Barca can lose one of their best players for big money Leicester sure as can!!

As you point out the money not means teams can't be bullied as much as they used to be. Helps having loaded owners as well obviously, who don't look to cash in but strengthen.

Our current league position and the fact we're progressing again also adds more strength to our position. If we were bottom three or lower down the table, then it changes things as players always want to reach as high as possible. Just not sure when you're probably talking about the 7th and 8th strongest teams in the league it's enough to entice, even with a large bid.

In reality the ceiling for both teams minus a freak season is probably 6th for the next year or two at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back