January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kones problems at Sunderland where over promises over an extended and improved contract should Sunderland stay up made by allardyce when he signed him in January, so doubt he'd want to sign for him again given when Sam left no one at the club had a clue about that promise.
Kone's problem is that he sucks at football. Are you kidding? He was HORRIBLE last year.

And we do NOT need another RB if Coleman is coming back. JonJoe is fine.

Someone also suggested we DON'T need defenders, that Sam can magically drill them into competence.

Another suggested we loan out Lookman.

The board has gone mad.

Congratulations, you've brought 6 new players in and somehow managed to make the team worse than it is now.
We don't even need 6 new players, we need to trim the squad and get 3 or 4 players maximum. A good CF, (give Sandro and DCL time to get up to speed and Niasse can be back up/ super sub), a LB (to take over from Baines and Baines to be back up), a CB (with a bit of pace who can defend) and an actual winger, preferably left footed especially if we get shot of Mirallas. Sell Williams/ Jags, sell 2 mids, maybe Besic and Schniederlin and get rid of Stekelenburg and we are looking better and more balanced.

We don't even need 6 new players, we need to trim the squad and get 3 or 4 players maximum. A good CF, (give Sandro and DCL time to get up to speed and Niasse can be back up/ super sub), a LB (to take over from Baines and Baines to be back up), a CB (with a bit of pace who can defend) and an actual winger, preferably left footed especially if we get shot of Mirallas. Sell Williams/ Jags, sell 2 mids, maybe Besic and Schniederlin and get rid of Stekelenburg and we are looking better and more balanced.
If Henry comes or if Bolaisse is ready, don't think we need a winger. I actually think if we got a quick, aggressive LB, we would be fine attacking from wide spots. I do think we need two more CBs. Maybe a ball playing CB and a true stud in the air. Maybe a young guy with lots of potential.

But I'm certainly not going to argue quantity over quality. We need 3 legit starters.

I still say if we get a CF and CB that's good in the air, we will score on ALL of the set pieces.

Sell:

Jagielka
Williams
Martina
Besic
McCarthy
Mirallas

Bring in:

LB
CB
CB
W
ST

Five in, Six out.

That would leave us with a squad of:

GK: Pickford, Robles, Stekelenburg
RB: Coleman, Kenny
LB: NEW, Baines
CB: NEW, NEW, Keane, Holgate, Funes Mori
DM: Schneiderlin, Baningime
CM: Gueye, Klaassen, Davies
AM: Barkley, Rooney, Sigurdsson
RW: NEW, Vlasic, Lennon
LW: Bolasie, Lookman
ST: NEW, Niasse, Calvert-Lewin, Sandro

Possibly look at loaning out Sandro too.

6rdJy

Screenshot_20171202-103816.webp

we need a striker

We haven't signed a good defender who has improved the defence instantly in 10 years , how are we going to sign 2 in one window.

Let's face it, we're not selling Williams or Jagielka in January. I can see Jagielka leaving end of season to drop down a division, probably have Williams stinking the place out for 18 months yet, but with Mori coming back, Keane hopefully retaining form, Holgate improving and a new centre back, hopefully Williams appearances will be severely restricted. Actually looking at that, with a new centre back it wouldn't make sense to have five centre halves, so see ya end of season, Ashley!

Mirallas will definitely leave end of season, Baines will retire with us imo in the next three years, with him becoming a sub from start of next session hopefully. Can see Klaassen heading back to Ajax in January very quickly.

Stekelenberg will hopefully leave in January, plus probably Besic either then or end of season. Sam will likely choose between McCarthy and Schneiderlin and sell the one he doesn't like. That'd leave us with McCarthy or Schneiderlin, Gueye, Davies, Beningime, Sigurdsson and Rooney for the central midfield defensive/attacking positions. Should be easily enough for the next 18 months imo, particularly if Davies and Beningime impress and improve.

We need a second pacy winger. Lennon can do a job from the bench, but we need somebody to stretch teams alongside Bolasie, and I hope this is addressed in January, as well as a to striker.

Martina will stay until end of season then be shipped out, but I think he'll probably end up getting another 10+ starts at left back due to Baines' form and injuries. I think we want until summer to get a good left back in, while right back is hopefully sorted for next 10 years with Coleman coming back (give him the armband!) and Kenny who is impressive.

I deem a pacy winger, striker and centre back as top priorities in January.

We arent going to completely overhaul this team again in January. We are going to pick up 3 players. 1. A CB. Yes, Holgate and Funes Mori will be back, but we cant pretend that what we have right now is almost okay, because its not. We need 1 top player in, and if Holgate is good enough he will beat him out. 2. A LB. I love Baines, but hes past his prime, and we can either be nice, or be good. 3. A striker. With Bolaise back we will have more wingers than we can play, but we still dont have a striker not named Niasse. DCL will get his games on the wing, but we need an out and out finisher because DCL still hasnt shown he can do that. Lets not repeat the mistake of the summer and think we can "just get by".

3 players. Not 9, not 7, but 3. Sure up the major weaknesses right now, the reality is we cant do more than that.

The way he was talking about experienced PL players surely makes a mockery of what's Steve Walsh should be doing.

Shouts for cresswell on here are embarassing.
West ham fans cant stand him after one good year and would bite your hand off at the chance of him leaving

Shouts for cresswell on here are embarassing.
West ham fans cant stand him after one good year and would bite your hand off at the chance of him leaving

I think we just avoid signing boyhood Liverpool fans. I never used to care about that kind of thing but now I'm utterly convinced Ashley Williams conspires against us on the pitch. So swerve Cresswell, Scott Dann and any other closet RS that seeks to destroy us from within.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back