January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could potentially see us making enquiries for Smalling or Lindeloff who seem surplus to requirements at Manchester United (one of them) even on a loan deal.

A lot may depend on who we move on, if both Schneiderlin & McCarthy move on we will probably look at a central midfield option, maybe we would re-open discussions around Deodonker?

I can see us revisiting the lad from Valencia (Abendeyour?) mid season as well to see if they would consider letting him go at a reasonable price. I know someone suggested a lad at Leicester as a CB who is not getting much game time. I think we'll add Kone and if a deal to get another lad in makes sense it will be done.

I can't see us going and paying fortunes for players much more. Maybe because the money isn't there. Maybe because they don't want Allardyce to spend it. Crucially though, that approach, if giving a manager exactly what he wants and paying massively over the odds to get it hasn't worked. I suspect Walsh's role will be increased and far more emphasis on value will be getting placed. Allardyce fits within that, as he's quite flexible and willing to take lads who are not at the prime of their value.

I can't say I'm massively bothered by this as it makes a lot more sense, than just looking at a teams best player and whacking huge fees down to get them. We should get better value for money this way, and if you are flexible there can be decent deals knocking about.

Overall, I think he will want big lads. Smalling is a big lad, so is Kone, Maybe Winston Reid at West Ham is Moyes was willing to take someone like a Mirallas as Part exchange the other way?
I was thinking we'd go for Smalling. Sam likes English players doesn't he? I hope we swerve Reid and Kone. We need more winners in the team not more lower league/ team players as I think that's part of the problem with the amount of players we've signed from relegated/ relegation fighting teams. Mentality is a massive part of it.

I'd just sell Mirallas to the highest bidder, the lad has been involved in 3 fallouts with the manager and is clearly a bad egg in the dressing room, no coincidence he's not making the bench now.

Really think Sam will push to get Benteke, but like you say it'll be difficult.

IF i was gonna take a punt on names i think we could see come in, would be as follows mate

Shaw - loan option to buy
Sturridge AND Carroll - both possibly loans with options to buy

I think Sahko would have been nailed on had he not gone to Palace during the summer as well, and expect us to get a 'similar' type player (wouldn't rule out Smalling btw)

Don't think we will bring in anyone from abroad personally

I agree on most of those. You will only get players, particularly on the budget we would want out of clubs if they are not needed.

Sturridge I can see. I see Kone from Sunderland as nailed.

Shaw or Van Arnholt make sense at left back.

I think Smalling/Reid may well depend on other business. Possibly Jagielka/Mirallas going the other way for Reid.

We won't get any centre mids in mate, Rooney will effectively be playing their a lot of games for Allardyce, he will like Davies attitude and snide factor, and then we have Gueye, Baningime

He will bring in a big, fast cb mate to partner alongside Keane - 100%

and he will go for a fast left back who can get up and down unlike baines.

and 1 maybe two strikers, one target man (unless he reckons DCL is up to doing that) and a natural scorer (sturridge etc)

Not a lot of experience in central midfield. I see that being the only signing from abroad though.

Deodonker makes a lot of sense if Schneiderlin + McCarthy go. We like him. If their season if done we can make a decent bid (a lot more than they might get in the summer) and get a lad who can cover CB. He's a big lad that Sam will like. I could see that coming off.

Have we been linked with this lad mate?

I think you are spot on really. I don't thin we will see anything as glamorous as it was under Koeman. It will very much be back to basics, getting lads in who are functional and can work to his system quite quickly. I doubt we will be looking at the top end of the market but looking for some "value" on deals.

He does like a wildcard you are right, and we may get someone with a bit of pace in a wide area. I hope he sees Ross in that light and can try and talk him round to staying though.

Gameiro is a great shout for a striker, I can only se it happening if Sandro goes out the door though. I think he will want some additional height and power as a centre forward.

It will be interesting to see if there is the same commitment to young players being brought in with one eye on the future.

disagree, think he will only upgrade what we have and they will be for decent money or unexpected ones he feels will be upgrades.

I was thinking we'd go for Smalling. Sam likes English players doesn't he? I hope we swerve Reid and Kone. We need more winners in the team not more lower league/ team players as I think that's part of the problem with the amount of players we've signed from relegated/ relegation fighting teams. Mentality is a massive part of it.

I'd just sell Mirallas to the highest bidder, the lad has been involved in 3 fallouts with the manager and is clearly a bad egg in the dressing room, no coincidence he's not making the bench now.

Really think Sam will push to get Benteke, but like you say it'll be difficult.

Smalling makes a lot of sense as he's not getting a game. The only issue is, Jones and Bailly are always injured. Smalling is a big strong lad, a bit clumsy but Allardyce could work well with him.

I've always liked Reid though he;s a bit injury prone, and if we can get the Kone that Allardyce had at Sunderland he would be a machine. Neither of them are perfect, but for the money we might pay I'd be pretty happy with them.

I suspect Mirallas will go and I think Schneiderlin will go too. Happy enough with that, I don't think we need a deep lying playmaker.

Bennett would be a good buy, but will cost a fortune mid season from a side who's survival hopes will be based around him.

Not a lot of experience in central midfield. I see that being the only signing from abroad though.

Deodonker makes a lot of sense if Schneiderlin + McCarthy go. We like him. If their season if done we can make a decent bid (a lot more than they might get in the summer) and get a lad who can cover CB. He's a big lad that Sam will like. I could see that coming off.
Sell James and Besic, sign Dendoncker

Not sure Kone would be an improvement on what we have tbh plus his commitment at times is questionable. By January I think we will be comfortably midtable and as long as striker and left back is addressed we shouldn't be looking at stop gap purchases.

Smalling makes a lot of sense as he's not getting a game. The only issue is, Jones and Bailly are always injured. Smalling is a big strong lad, a bit clumsy but Allardyce could work well with him.

I've always liked Reid though he;s a bit injury prone, and if we can get the Kone that Allardyce had at Sunderland he would be a machine. Neither of them are perfect, but for the money we might pay I'd be pretty happy with them.

I suspect Mirallas will go and I think Schneiderlin will go too. Happy enough with that, I don't think we need a deep lying playmaker.

Bennett would be a good buy, but will cost a fortune mid season from a side who's survival hopes will be based around him.

What about Daley Blind then? Blows a bit hot & cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back