January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He plays wingback in the Chelsea setup, so he's a left mid in many ways. He wasn't afraid to tackle someone, though, and he's not small. HORRIBLE neck tatoos, though, and could've gotten tossed for slapping a Norwich player. But he set Bats up for the goal and was pretty darn good during the match. Took corners, too.
962bcfb2b7d3aac52434ffde90e5f81f661bc1e8346892719b24d0f28b093e7b.jpg

The players under 21 haven’t really shown anything apart from inconsistencies. They’re not world beaters, and certainly not overly excited about our youngsters because the majority won’t be here in a couple of years.

People like cadamateri, branch, Eaton, halls, O’Connor have all come through in years gone by, all looked half decent in a handful of games and all amounted to nothing in their professional career. Falling right down the leagues

Only Rooney and Barkley have been true talents; Unsworth, Ebbrell, Dunne, Osman etc all had a nice little careers without actually amounting to anything

Okay, but several of these boys won the U20 world cup, so there is some pedigree there. I also think it's safe to say that Lookman was as good a player on that side as there was. Maybe he's not ready to start every match, but he's done well when he's been in there. Davies, too. DCL is a bit of a project, but so are most 6'2" strikers.

He plays wingback in the Chelsea setup, so he's a left mid in many ways. He wasn't afraid to tackle someone, though, and he's not small. HORRIBLE neck tatoos, though, and could've gotten tossed for slapping a Norwich player. But he set Bats up for the goal and was pretty darn good during the match. Took corners, too.
Fair enough, a bit of a Moses then? I feel we’d be better with a full on left back if I’m honest

We're building a nice little squad, so much so that you could argue our second team is worth more than most of the prem's first teams (INCLUDING OUR OWN)!, so if we go on recent form/selections, it's not inconcievable:

First Team
Pickford (£30m)
Coleman(60k) Holgate (£1.5m) Jagielka (£4m) Baines (£6m)
McCarthy (£13m) Gueye (£7m)
Walcott (£20m) Rooney (Free) Siggurdsson (£45m)
Tosun (£27m)

Total: £153.506m

Second Team

Robles (£2m)
Kenny (Free) Keane (£24m) Williams (£12m) Mori (£9.5m)
Klaassen (£24m) Schneiderlin (£26m)
Lookman (£11m) Vlasic (£10m) Bolasie (£27m)
Niasse (£13m)

Total: £158.5m

The players under 21 haven’t really shown anything apart from inconsistencies. They’re not world beaters, and certainly not overly excited about our youngsters because the majority won’t be here in a couple of years.

People like cadamateri, branch, Eaton, halls, O’Connor have all come through in years gone by, all looked half decent in a handful of games and all amounted to nothing in their professional career. Falling right down the leagues

Only Rooney and Barkley have been true talents; Unsworth, Ebbrell, Dunne, Osman etc all had a nice little careers without actually amounting to anything

But POTENTIALLY all the players you mention were top quality PL standard

We're building a nice little squad, so much so that you could argue our second team is worth more than most of the prem's first teams (INCLUDING OUR OWN)!, so if we go on recent form/selections, it's not inconcievable:

First Team
Pickford (£30m)
Tosun (£27m)

Second Team

Robles (£2m)
Niasse (£13m)

But a lot of them are rubbish?

Okay, but several of these boys won the U20 world cup, so there is some pedigree there. I also think it's safe to say that Lookman was as good a player on that side as there was. Maybe he's not ready to start every match, but he's done well when he's been in there. Davies, too. DCL is a bit of a project, but so are most 6'2" strikers.

And John Ebbrell was Everton’s saviour, England youth captain and the next Brian Robson. We’ve had players from the great Lilleshall

The step up is huge, from u23 to first team. They won the tournament, and I’m made up for them. But to automatically assume they can make the step up is silly. I’m sure some will have good careers

Fair enough, a bit of a Moses then? I feel we’d be better with a full on left back if I’m honest

I agree with you, but I'm not sure Bernat is any more of a defender than Kenedy.

Bernat shouldn't be expensive, though. Munich has Alaba, has played that kid Friedl, who is a left back, and can play Rafinha there even though he's older. It's also no shame he's not playing in front of Alaba, that kid is good.

And John Ebbrell was Everton’s saviour, England youth captain and the next Brian Robson. We’ve had players from the great Lilleshall

The step up is huge, from u23 to first team. They won the tournament, and I’m made up for them. But to automatically assume they can make the step up is silly. I’m sure some will have good careers
And that’s the problem some posters ((Zatara mainly ) have.
You need a lot more than pure talent to be a top player.
You need a footballing brain ( ROSS ) ,you need determination (ROSS) you need bravery , a certain mindset a manager who believes in you and a bit of luck

First Team
Pickford (£30m)
Tosun (£27m)

Second Team

Robles (£2m)
Niasse (£13m)

Why do you have Phil Jagielka in our first team?

Fair points, but Lookman has shown some pretty good indicators that he can play. He destroyed Limassol, but obviously they weren't any good. Thought he helped change the Watford game around when he got in there. Would like to see him MORE, would've liked to see if he could cut it before we moved for Walcott, but he's not at Bolaisse or Walcott's level, yet, despite what some posters may have you believe. Those are the same posters that could've tell you the difference between an inside forward and expect wingers to turn quality defenders into turnstiles and whip in pinpoint crosses on guys heads at pace.

And that’s the problem some posters ((Zatara mainly ) have.
You need a lot more than pure talent to be a top player.
You need a footballing brain ( ROSS ) ,you need determination (ROSS) you need bravery , a certain mindset a manager who believes in you and a bit of luck

That’s nailed it, and what both Rooney and Ross had. They just stood out; Ross had his confidence issues but he was a natural footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back