January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but 13/14 m for Naisse
That’s like turning water into wine.
Not really..... We paid 13.5 for him. Since that transaction transfer values have roughly doubled meaning the 13 to 14 is really more like 6.5 to 7. Essentially in a like for like world the market is saying he is worth half what we paid for him.

Not really..... We paid 13.5 for him. Since that transaction transfer values have roughly doubled meaning the 13 to 14 is really more like 6.5 to 7. Essentially in a like for like world the market is saying he is worth half what we paid for him.
My point being he is not worth one tenth of what we paid for
He is gash
A nice bloke who runs around a lot but he’s not a good footballer

I think a lot see him as ‘head scout’ and nothing more.
Because we haven’t signed Koubailly Mata Cavani Etc.
People think once you have money you can buy who you want.
Players have to want to come to you
City signed some rubbish when they first got minted ( Rodwell Etc)
What they did do is what we are doing , spend big on the academy and younger players.
If you spend 35 m one 5 young players and 1 makes the first team regularly you break even
Whatever you sell the rest for is profit and you keep repeating the process
Chelsea spend big but make a profit on player trading now

I agree most fans think have a very narrow concept of what he does, whats fascinating is how he is maximizing Everton assets and as such potential revenue the above examples are a case in point.

But if you take someone like Dowell more then likely he was deemed surplus to requirements in the summer. Walsh sees an asset and finds the right pathway to protect Everton. Sends him on loan to a mid table championship team, gets a loan fee, loses a wage, the lad does well, becomes a top Championship player, the calf is fattened, we decide to sell at what 9-10 mill + or he is deemed now to have a future at the club. There are other examples.

It’s making your assets work for you, creating revenue streams and fattening calves potentially for profit. I think personally we are only seeing a snippet of this, we will see it more in the long term, the increase we have seen in youth player recruitment is all about this.
A very sensible considered and reasonable post that show knowledge of how some football clubs work
Well said sir

Because we haven’t signed Koubailly Mata Cavani Etc.
People think once you have money you can buy who you want.
Players have to want to come to you
City signed some rubbish when they first got minted ( Rodwell Etc)
What they did do is what we are doing , spend big on the academy and younger players.
If you spend 35 m one 5 young players and 1 makes the first team regularly you break even
Whatever you sell the rest for is profit and you keep repeating the process
Chelsea spend big but make a profit on player trading now

Even before Rodwell, Benjani from Portsmouth and Roque Santa Cruz from Blackburn, buying some of Arsenals unwanted players, etc. Having money doesn't make you a big club, the same way not having it never made us a small club. But opinions and actions need to change, and as you rightly said, it will be progressive, not instantaneous. We need to improve in the short term 1st, to improve more in the long term. Or you can fluke a season and vanish into oblivion, drowning in the unrealistic expectations of impatient, malcontent fans.

Even before Rodwell, Benjani from Portsmouth and Roque Santa Cruz from Blackburn, buying some of Arsenals unwanted players, etc. Having money doesn't make you a big club, the same way not having it never made us a small club. But opinions and actions need to change, and as you rightly said, it will be progressive, not instantaneous. We need to improve in the short term 1st, to improve more in the long term. Or you can fluke a season and vanish into oblivion, drowning in the unrealistic expectations of impatient, malcontent fans.
As Blackburn did , as Wigan did after the cup win
One only has to look at Leeds Portsmouth, Villa to see that money without a long term plan and buisness model is foolish
For all his failings Moshiri is no fool and is a clever businessman.
He has a plan and he will stick to it because he can see the long term gain both financially and footballing wise.
Which basically go hand in hand.
The plan may get unstuck here and there but it’s still the plan and it’ll take a few years and a new stadium to come to fruition.
Whatever else you may believe or not believe one thing I can guarantee you is there is a plan

I agree, but at the start of the season we would have been lucky to get a can of coke and a Toffee Crisp for him.

As Blackburn did , as Wigan did after the cup win
One only has to look at Leeds Portsmouth, Villa to see that money without a long term plan and buisness model is foolish
For all his failings Moshiri is no fool and is a clever businessman.
He has a plan and he will stick to it because he can see the long term gain both financially and footballing wise.
Which basically go hand in hand.
The plan may get unstuck here and there but it’s still the plan and it’ll take a few years and a new stadium to come to fruition.
Whatever else you may believe or not believe one thing I can guarantee you is there is a plan

Good post mate, it’s amazing how often he mentioned the plan at the AGM, I think your right. It’s one of the defining aspects of a takeover, the development at all layers of the football club, developing the academy and maximizing your assets. Look at takeovers at say West Ham nothing done there, rarely loan players out etc. Look at the model at Chelsea that have 40 odd players out on loan, it’s a puppy farm and buisness in a buisness. It’s catipulted them into one of Europes biggest clubs and progressed into a self sustaining model, via an innitial massive and sometimes wasteful investment.

This is where we are headed as a model and also a facility led hybrid with the new ground to go the club and buisness.

A key person will be Walsh, he already has been.

All hail the plan.

Last edited:
Why have I bolded parts of this article I hear you ask...

11/01/18 - http://www.skysports.com/football/n...nsider-move-for-lille-defender-adama-soumaoro

Everton consider move for Lille defender Adama Soumaoro

Everton are considering a move for Lille defender Adama Soumaoro, according to Sky sources, as Sam Allardyce looks to bolster his squad during the January transfer window.

The 25-year-old centre-back is believed to be valued in the region of £18m by the French club, who are understood to be looking to sell players to help ease financial pressures.

Soumaoro has made just six starts in Ligue 1 this season after missing the start of the campaign with an Achilles injury.

West Ham, Borussia Dortmund and Monaco have also watched the versatile defender, who can play across the back four.

Well it's just to compare the original story by Sky Sports News and Phil Kirkbride's outstanding journalistic reporting for the Liverpool Echo.

18/01/18 - http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor.../everton-eyeing-lille-defender-adama-14173297

Everton eyeing Lille defender Adama Soumaoro

Everton have firm interest in Lille defender Adama Soumaoro.

Director of football Steve Walsh and chief scout Martyn Glover had planned to watch the 25-year-old against Rennes on Wednesday night but Soumaoro missed the Ligue 1 game through injury.

Lille are said to value the French defender at around £20m and Everton are keen on signing him this month.

Sam Allardyce wants to bolster his backline in the January window and has said the squad needs a left-sided defender.

Soumaoro is listed as predominantly right-footed but is regarded as someone who can play across the back four.

The defender missed the start of the season after rupturing his Achilles tendon in April and so has been restricted to just seven appearances this term.

Get back to reporting what you read on GOT Phil and not other news outlets. At least come up with some original content you plagiarising sod!

By the way, we'll just ignore the fact the lad has a torn achilles, can barely make an appearance and we're going to pay £20m for him.

Why have I bolded parts of this article I hear you ask...

Well it's just to compare the original story by Sky Sports News and Phil Kirkbride's outstanding journalistic reporting for the Liverpool Echo.

Get back to reporting what you read on GOT Phil and not other news outlets. At least come up with some original content you plagiarising sod!

By the way, we'll just ignore the fact the lad has a torn achilles, can barely make an appearance and we're going to pay £20m for him.

Great find that.

@davek loves a good plagarising story too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back