Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be adverse to his appointment and I don't class him necessarily as a hoofball merchant but this forum - by and large - wants all this pretty football with Lookman, Vlasic, Henry etc. on the pitch.

I haven't see any evidence in Dyche's career that he'd come here and give the fans what they want to see. Silva (or Fonseca) could offensively but still question marks over him.

I think the fans want winning football mate - or I certainly do.

'Everton's style' to me, is counter-attacking football done right. Sharp passing, incisive crosses and centre-forwards who want to get on the end of them. Tough in the tackle and wear our hearts on our sleeve.

That's the Everton I want to see.

That's the point some people can't seem to grasp, a club selling a first team player will not sell so close to deadline day because they then need to find a replacement.

As soon as the window opened, it should have been all hands to the pump for a new left-back.

This is true.

I'd still say that if we really want Bryan then he could be gettable purely as a) it's Bristol who, while I know they're not desperate for money, a big enough offer would certainly turn their heads, b) he doesn't play left-back exclusively and is often ahead of Magnusson, c) they are out of the cup and while I understand they're pushing for promotion, he may well be swayed by a wage offer and the chance to be a PL regular

I disagree with this, and said as much at the time. We weren't really defensively solid, we just got more men behind the ball, played a couple of toothless teams and had some luck. I thought we defended really well against Chelsea, but against Swansea, Newcastle, West Brom etc, we could easily have conceded a fair few goals if it wasn't for the woodwork, Pickford and bad finishing.

Exactly mate, it wasn't rocket science, it was 10 men behind the ball, not some defensive master stroke by Allardyce.

I think the fans want winning football mate - or I certainly do.

'Everton's style' to me, is counter-attacking football done right. Sharp passing, incisive crosses and centre-forwards who want to get on the end of them. Tough in the tackle and wear our hearts on our sleeve.

That's the Everton I want to see.

The only way you’ll see that is to look at old videos of the Title winning team of the 80s

I disagree with this, and said as much at the time. We weren't really defensively solid, we just got more men behind the ball, played a couple of toothless teams and had some luck. I thought we defended really well against Chelsea, but against Swansea, Newcastle, West Brom etc, we could easily have conceded a fair few goals if it wasn't for the woodwork, Pickford and bad finishing.

Fair enough, but every side rides their luck.

I'd say Dyche could get this side organised though, perhaps with one or two additions (a left back and a cb) to the back line.

Exactly mate, it wasn't rocket science, it was 10 men behind the ball, not some defensive master stroke by Allardyce.

Not in any way saying it was, but it worked.

And the football - going forward - was much better then than it is now.

And that's because we had Rooney deep, with two runners alongside him and Sigurdsson, Calvert-Lewin and Lennon in a proper 'front three'.

Evidently, it can't be done every game, but there's no reason that shouldn't be our template for the rest of the season.

It's been proven to work, so whether Unsy/Sam stumbled upon it or not, to now not go back to it following the busy Xmas period where rotation was needed, is quite frankly ludicrous.

That and not signing a left-back, like.

This is true.

I'd still say that if we really want Bryan then he could be gettable purely as a) it's Bristol who, while I know they're not desperate for money, a big enough offer would certainly turn their heads, b) he doesn't play left-back exclusively and is often ahead of Magnusson, c) they are out of the cup and while I understand they're pushing for promotion, he may well be swayed by a wage offer and the chance to be a PL regular

How old is the lad Toff? if he's still a young lad he may want to see the rest of the season out with them if they have a chance of coming up.

This is true.

Even though we are having a disastrous season we are still mid table.

Any player with ambition will want to test themselves at the highest level possible and anybody who cannot see why Bryan would not want to test himself at a club like Everton has their eyes closed.
We have lost players to clubs higher up the food chain.. that is the way it works.

If we are interested in the player is a different question.

How old is the lad Toff? if he's still a young lad he may want to see the rest of the season out with them if they have a chance of coming up.
He’s 24
He highly intelligent , very well educated, from a relatively well off family ,been with Bristol since he’s a kid , has played various sports , his family and the managers family are very close.
He was once described as an accidental footballer ie football wasn’t his main goal in life but he was good at it.
Praising him away from Bristol May not be as easy as some people think
Even if we can , is he good enough to be a starting LB in a PL team with ambitions of challenging for top 4 ??

But he isn't very good either

Leave it alone ffs. It's gone. We weren't interested, for whatever reason. And defensively he would hardly improve us.

Our left-back situation is dire and I blame the club entirely. But I'm not going to get stressed that a bang-average winger (whenever I've seen him play - this is the bloke who only managed 1 appearance for Watford last season, btw) has signed for Newcastle.
If we sign a player to solve our problem at left back I want it to be a left back not a winger .
The very people calling for Kenedy to be brought in to play left back would be criticising Allyrdyce for having done so when it becomes plain that he isn't very good there.

Before somebody says something stupid again... this is not an argument to retain Martina , it is an argument to find a proper solution.
I would rather try Garbutt there than Kenedy.

If we sign a player to solve our problem at left back I want it to be a left back not a winger .
The very people calling for Kenedy to be brought in to play left back would be criticising Allyrdyce for having done so when it becomes plain that he isn't very good there.

Before somebody says something stupid again... this is not an argument to retain Martina , it is an argument to find a proper solution.
I would rather try Garbutt there than Kenedy.
Exactly
Get a left footed left back to play left back
It’s not rocket science

He’s 24
He highly intelligent , very well educated, from a relatively well off family ,been with Bristol since he’s a kid , has played various sports , his family and the managers family are very close.
He was once described as an accidental footballer ie football wasn’t his main goal in life but he was good at it.
Praising him away from Bristol May not be as easy as some people think
Even if we can , is he good enough to be a starting LB in a PL team with ambitions of challenging for top 4 ??
I think the other side of that discussion is that possibly there may be a mature conversation at Bristol about the opportunity that a move to Everton would provide.
A conversation about career, prospects, premiership football and not just a conversation about money and agents fees.

Even though we are having a disastrous season we are still mid table.

Any player with ambition will want to test themselves at the highest level possible and anybody who cannot see why Bryan would not want to test himself at a club like Everton has their eyes closed.
We have lost players to clubs higher up the food chain.. that is the way it works.

If we are interested in the player is a different question.

There's definitely mitigating factors though.

i.e. what @Brisan123 states

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back