January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isnt that what Calvert Lewin is doing?
To a large extent yes. But Welbeck is a bit quicker than DCL, a bit more composed in front of goal and can play the wide position better. Also, and no disrespect to DCL as you'll know I'm a big supporter of the lad if you follow my posts, a fully fit Welbeck offer more than DCL does at this stage in his career. So yes, I stand by my opinion that a fit Welbeck would strengthen our squad.

To a large extent yes. But Welbeck is a bit quicker than DCL, a bit more composed in front of goal and can play the wide position better. Also, and no disrespect to DCL as you'll know I'm a big supporter of the lad if you follow my posts, a fully fit Welbeck offer more than DCL does at this stage in his career. So yes, I stand by my opinion that a fit Welbeck would strengthen our squad.[/QUOTE]

there lies your problem mate, he's a tampon

If you look at some of SAMs best business, it has been taking lads at the end of their career and finding a way to utilise them effectively. Djorkaef and Okacha are two such players at Bolton while Defoe fitted that bill to an extent too.

Sturridge is still in his prime, but given his injuries needs to be managed like a lad who is 35 not 27. He simply can't play the way Klopp wants him too, and they are not short of goals so Klopp has no need to bend to building the team around him.

I think if he came here, we would get legs around him and he would score goals.

As a January addition i just think it'd make sense, for both clubs and the player, he gets a chance to show something to get into the world cup squad, we get a player whose desperate to impress, they get both those platforms in order to show any clubs in the summer that he isn't finished and drive his price up. Oh yeah and they get the benefit of boosting a side who may take points off their rivals for top 4 whilst not being able to play against them.

I saw an interesting statistic someone pulled up, leading one to believe we actually dont need a striker as much as we thought. That is, we have scored as many goals now as we had at this point last season, on almost the same number of points.

Also interesting, Rooney has a better goalscoring record this season than Lukaku. Niasse is on pace to blow it away. So it would seem our real issue at this point of the season is defence. Of course some of that is coupled with our lack of ability to keep posession up top and in the midfield, thus putting more pressure on our defense. So its not our goalscoring that we need to replace in January(although improvement would be good) as much as improve our defence and inbetween play.

I saw an interesting statistic someone pulled up, leading one to believe we actually dont need a striker as much as we thought. That is, we have scored as many goals now as we had at this point last season, on almost the same number of points.

Also interesting, Rooney has a better goalscoring record this season than Lukaku. Niasse is on pace to blow it away. So it would seem our real issue at this point of the season is defence. Of course some of that is coupled with our lack of ability to keep posession up top and in the midfield, thus putting more pressure on our defense. So its not our goalscoring that we need to replace in January(although improvement would be good) as much as improve our defence and inbetween play.

At this point last season we had SCORED: 19, CONCEDED: 19 / POINTS: 20

This season we have SCORED: 19, CONCEDED: 28 / POINTS: 18

Don’t care if we were 15 points clear at the top, you never stop trying to improve.

Of course we need to improve our defence, but we definitely do need at least one striker in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back