January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besic hasn't had a look in all season and I can't see McCarthy lasting much longer here, he'll be flogged as soon as he's "fit"/can be arsed. Davies is not a defensive midfielder, can't tackle to save his life. Schneiderlin is finished here, barely touched the ball when he came on Saturday, didn't look interested and I think Allardyce has seen enough already. I agree there are other positions that take priority, but if he's available and we have the money, I would be happy with this one.
Obviously, if we move Morgan and McCarthy out, NZonzi is a big upgrade and his height on set pieces would be a tremendous help in our own end. But we need CBs and a LB, not another DCM.

I think at the moment Sam is like a child who looks into a Christmas stocking packed with toys. He sees so many things and is so excited but doesn't fully understand what he actually has just yet.

I think the only two positions that we are physically short of players is left back and centre forward.
We have five centre halves in Jagielka, Williams, Keane, Holgate and Funes Mori.
We have two/three right backs in Coleman/Kenny/Martina.
We have plenty of central midfielders Davies, Gueye, Schneiderlin, Rooney, Baningime, Mc Carthy, Besic and Barkley.
We wide players in Mirallas, Lookman and Bolasie .
We have strikers in Sandro, DCL and Niasse.
At the moment he doesn't quite know what players will fit into the structure he wants and this is more difficult because some are not available through injury.

I don't expect a lot of transfer activity in January because I think they may not have had time to completely decide on who should stay or go.

They will probably have to make a decision on Barkley and probably Mirallas as well and possibly Sandro if he really wants to go back to Spain . I think we may see one or two in but maybe no more than that.

He can't wait for defensive players. He isn't a complete moron. It's clear as day.

I would be perfectly fine with us binning Schneiderlin and bringing in a true DM. His attitude and desire this term has been pathetic, plus, the way we play with Gana pushing on means we need a proper shield.

Haven't seen much of N'Zonzi since he left to be honest, but I know he is now really highly thought of.

Same here mate. Wasn't he the one at Stoke?. Didn't stand out there for me but that's not to say he hasn't improved since. The other 2 I wouldn't mind going after for that position are Dendoncker and Carvalho.

However IMO we need to improve other areas first. LCB is a must. Who I've no idea. There's been shouts of Jonny Evans who probably wouldn't be a bad short term option. But I said the same of Williams too and look what happened there. What we need though is somebody who can organise us, is no slouch and decent in the air. Also LB cover is a must, but short term this could be fixed with Kenny once Seamus returns, or bringing back either Connolly or Robinson from loan. I may be giving Baines benefit of the doubt here but I reckon part of his poor form is down to too much football at his age. The other position is course striker. Haven't a clue on this, but I believe pace will be the important factor together with a decent scoring record.

A lot depends on how much we have to spend.

Obviously, if we move Morgan and McCarthy out, NZonzi is a big upgrade and his height on set pieces would be a tremendous help in our own end. But we need CBs and a LB, not another DCM.
We need all three but I agree, LCB and LB are more important. Although depending on how Seamus comes back either he or Kenny could do a turn at LB as cover for Baines.

All 28 and over. Throw Giroud in their as well. No forward planning from us at all. We should be looking to get the best of the young talent around who would come to us and willingly and openly offer them a platform to the biggest clubs in Europe by playing for us in the premier league for a good few years.
We have Davies, Lookman, Kenny, DCL, Vlasic, Beningame and Holgate who are all U21s. Throw in the players out on loan who may also be able to step up in a year or two (Dowell, Onyekuru Williams, Connolly, Walsh and maybe Galloway) and we've already got a huge amount of young talent to try and integrate into the first team.

Likewise half the players we bought during the Summer window would fit that profile also, Pickford, Keane, Sandro, and possibly Klaassen are all players who have yet to reach their peak.

We have Davies, Lookman, Kenny, DCL, Vlasic, Beningame and Holgate who are all U21s. Throw in the players out on loan who may also be able to step up in a year or two (Dowell, Onyekuru Williams, Connolly, Walsh and maybe Galloway) and we've already got a huge amount of young talent to try and integrate into the first team.

Likewise half the players we bought during the Summer window would fit that profile also, Pickford, Keane, Sandro, and possibly Klaassen are all players who have yet to reach their peak.

I think you’re reaching a lot. Huge amount of young talent? Possibly. Personally I don’t think many top clubs would look at any of those players as future stars for years to come. Good squad options, but nothing spectacular. They’re not exactly Pulisic.

Pickford is the only summer signing who’s been a success from day 1. Rooney has been one of our better players (what that says about him and the rest of our team I’ll let you decide) and Sigurdsson is seemingly coming into a bit of form. Keane and Klaassen have been disappointing and sandro hasn’t shown a lot.

I’m most hopefully for Davies, Vlasic and Lookman out the names you mentioned but I’m cautious enough to not blow smoke up them just yet, especially when only Davies has started consistently.

Not happy using a RB to play LB, prefer to at least give garbutt a go or sign some one say Shaw?
Said in another post we have Robinson and Connolly out on loan. They could be brought back too. Anything better than Martina which is the alternative.

Shaw is a decent shout for the long term. Injuries have ravished his career. I'd like the c=Celtic kid but then again so will almost everyone else.

We don't need cover for Baines we need a replacement
You're most probably right Sagey. Chances are we won't be able to get that in January. Plus I wouldn't be entirely surprised if a lot of his poor form is down to tiredness. He's been well overplayed this season as we left ourselves with literally zero cover for him.

But yeah. defo should be looking for a replacement come the summer.

You're most probably right Sagey. Chances are we won't be able to get that in January. Plus I wouldn't be entirely surprised if a lot of his poor form is down to tiredness. He's been well overplayed this season as we left ourselves with literally zero cover for him.

But yeah. defo should be looking for a replacement come the summer.
He wasn’t great last season, for me and should have been replaced this summer. Offers nothing going forward anymore. And never been a great defender, he’s lost what pace he had and is shocking at trying to stop crosses.

I don’t think tiredness can be used as an excuse.

Said in another post we have Robinson and Connolly out on loan. They could be brought back too. Anything better than Martina which is the alternative.

Shaw is a decent shout for the long term. Injuries have ravished his career. I'd like the c=Celtic kid but then again so will almost everyone else.

I don't see Tierney leaving Celtic anytime soon. He's said money is not a motivating factor for him and he wants to play for Celtic for his entire career. Also, Celtic aren't exactly strapped for cash so I reckon it would take a massive offer to tempt them.

My Bolton supporting mate reckons Robinson will play for England one day.

And Connolly is playing defensive mid for Ipswich. Very well in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back