January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with buying "prime" players is that:
(1) Good ones are already at big clubs
(2) You pay a massive premium
(3) There is no evidence they perform better than younger players
(4) They become post-prime soon after joining you

Mid table clubs who pay top prices for midtable rivals players turn into Sunderland/Villa.

Siggy, Bolasie, Williams, Scheinderlin represent about £200m in fees+wages over their contracts. Massive investment with no chance of a decent return.

All 28 and over. Throw Giroud in their as well. No forward planning from us at all. We should be looking to get the best of the young talent around who would come to us and willingly and openly offer them a platform to the biggest clubs in Europe by playing for us in the premier league for a good few years.

What's wrong with a 28-year old signing? They don't use zimmerframes.

I've always liked Nzonzi and he adds the height Allardyce will be after.

One left field name, that will be slightly dependant upon moving on lads like Schneiderlin/McCarthy/Barkley may be Fellaini.

He has made himself integral this season but never really settled there. Allardyce is a big fan and again he would offer us additional height.

Not only Allardyce a fan of his, the player supposedly is a very big fan of working under Allaryce mate

Garbutt can be registered to play from January so i think he's sound enough to act as cover but I'd be looking for a ready made Baines replacement now. Shaw, Chilwell at Leicester or even Aaron Creswell at West Ham could do a job.
Not convinced Chilwell is that much more advanced than Robinson/Connolly if I'm honest mate. He's struggling to get any game time at Leicester. Certainly wouldn't call him a ready made replacement for Baines. I've always liked Shaw though. I suppose it depends on how he comes back from the injuries that have blighted his career so far. I must confess I know very little about Creswell but he has plenty of experience. Is he a natural left footer? because I think we defo need more of those in our squad.

What's wrong with a 28-year old signing? They don't use zimmerframes.

See Timak’s post.

The problem with buying "prime" players is that:
(1) Good ones are already at big clubs
(2) You pay a massive premium
(3) There is no evidence they perform better than younger players
(4) They become post-prime soon after joining you

Mid table clubs who pay top prices for midtable rivals players turn into Sunderland/Villa.

Siggy, Bolasie, Williams, Scheinderlin represent about £200m in fees+wages over their contracts. Massive investment with no chance of a decent return.

A couple of in their prime players are no harm. But building your team around them is flawed. I have no problem signing a 28 year old. The initial post I quoted had referenced how our alleged transfer targets were Walcott, Nzonzi, Deeney and then I added Giroud to that mix. All approaching the last years of their careers and none are going to get any better. You may not care about resale value, but these signings (especially too many) don’t make good business sense.

The fact is we’re not going to be getting a 28/29 year old alexis Sanchez if we show in the “prime age” bracket. We’re getting players who have got to the of 28 and find themselves at mid level clubs. How exactly will they take us to the next level? I suppose if they’re better than what he have in the present that’s something. But you’ll only end up having to replace them sooner than you’d like.

Funny thing about the Aubamayang jarg link is that Dortmund tried to hawk him around during the summer and no one bit at the price they wanted.

Of 'top' strikers, he's probably one of the few that would move purely for money and not 'CL or name of team' - he actually went into talks with a Chinese team after all, so isn't exactly not interested in money ^^

Chelsea and Liverpool won't go near him, otherwise they'd already have had him

and no we won't actually be interested - he's not exactly an Allardyce type player is he ...

Not convinced Chilwell is that much more advanced than Robinson/Connolly if I'm honest mate. He's struggling to get any game time at Leicester. Certainly wouldn't call him a ready made replacement for Baines. I've always liked Shaw though. I suppose it depends on how he comes back from the injuries that have blighted his career so far. I must confess I know very little about Creswell but he has plenty of experience. Is he a natural left footer? because I think we defo need more of those in our squad.

Shaw if you can get his head and body right is the best left back in the country, that's a bloody big IF though...

I think Creswell is better than he's currently showing. A couple of seasons ago he was being linked with that lot. He's got a decent left peg on him, he bombs forward and defends as well as any fullback i've seen. He's unfortunate to play for a terrible side. The concern would be are we much better right now but i think a move and change could bring out the best in him. I know he's a local lad, not sure if he's a red or blue though.

Funny thing about the Aubamayang jarg link is that Dortmund tried to hawk him around during the summer and no one bit at the price they wanted.

Of 'top' strikers, he's probably one of the few that would move purely for money and not 'CL or name of team' - he actually went into talks with a Chinese team after all, so isn't exactly not interested in money ^^

Chelsea and Liverpool won't go near him, otherwise they'd already have had him

and no we won't actually be interested - he's not exactly an Allardyce type player is he ...

Whilst i agree he is a player motivated by money, there is a difference as to what a Chinese team can offer in wages compared to us, we'd probably offer 150k max which he could get anywhere in Europe, whereas in china he would probably be offered about 600k a week

Whilst i agree he is a player motivated by money, there is a difference as to what a Chinese team can offer in wages compared to us, we'd probably offer 150k max which he could get anywhere in Europe, whereas in china he would probably be offered about 600k a week

Which is why we have zero chance of getting him mate.

Find the Liverpool shouts amusing linking them though, he actually never really played very well under Klopp, played him out of position on the wing, and both player and manager haven't exactly raved about each other in the past.

Media obsessed with lfc signing a 'real' number 9 when they don't even play one or want one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back