January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All 28 and over. Throw Giroud in their as well. No forward planning from us at all. We should be looking to get the best of the young talent around who would come to us and willingly and openly offer them a platform to the biggest clubs in Europe by playing for us in the premier league for a good few years.
We have plenty of young talent. Its the more senior players who have let us down.

In the January window you need to look at A) Players in North and South American since their seasons are over, it's the natural transfer window, and B) Players you rate but aren't getting as many games for whatever reason. They both come with risk since the MLS and South American leagues aren't on the level of the PL and you just don't know exactly what you're getting - at least not in the first 5 months. And of course buying someone that another club doesn't fancy could be gold or you could find out why.

Personally, unless it's someone like Giroud, I'd rather take someone from North or South American who just finished their seasons...and have had a bit a rest. Schneiderlin last season was a bit of a lottery win considering how poor he has been this season. Many of our other January buys became valuable but not until the season after.

Of course if you can buy someone from France or Italy that fits the bill, go for it. Those teams sell.

Prefer Bertrand over the lot of them

Aye wouldn't argue mate, Shaw 'could' be the best in the league, but that's been said about him since his move from Saints. eventually could be turns into never will be ;)

like Tierney a million times more anyway, but he will end up at United

For me, the most glaringly obvious buy is a left footed central defender who can play LB if needed. That fills two holes. Not saying that's easy to find, but I would hope Walsh has a list to hammer when the window opens.

Funny thing about the Aubamayang jarg link is that Dortmund tried to hawk him around during the summer and no one bit at the price they wanted.

Of 'top' strikers, he's probably one of the few that would move purely for money and not 'CL or name of team' - he actually went into talks with a Chinese team after all, so isn't exactly not interested in money ^^

Chelsea and Liverpool won't go near him, otherwise they'd already have had him

and no we won't actually be interested - he's not exactly an Allardyce type player is he ...

Almost identical to Anelka.....

Pacey, strong and scores lots of goals.

He can't wait for defensive players. He isn't a complete moron. It's clear as day.
Two of our CBs are past it. One has a long term injury (during which we have conveniently forgotten that he is also prone to make the odd error or six). One appears to be a very decent defender but totally bereft of confidence at the moment, and the 5th is 20 and still learning (the hard way). No, not even a total moron would agree that we don't need strengthening in this dept.

I think Creswell is better than he's currently showing. A couple of seasons ago he was being linked with that lot. He's got a decent left peg on him, he bombs forward and defends as well as any fullback i've seen. He's unfortunate to play for a terrible side. The concern would be are we much better right now but i think a move and change could bring out the best in him. I know he's a local lad, not sure if he's a red or blue though.
He is a redshite

I think at the moment Sam is like a child who looks into a Christmas stocking packed with toys. He sees so many things and is so excited but doesn't fully understand what he actually has just yet.

I think the only two positions that we are physically short of players is left back and centre forward.
We have five centre halves in Jagielka, Williams, Keane, Holgate and Funes Mori.
We have two/three right backs in Coleman/Kenny/Martina.
We have plenty of central midfielders Davies, Gueye, Schneiderlin, Rooney, Baningime, Mc Carthy, Besic and Barkley.
We wide players in Mirallas, Lookman and Bolasie .
We have strikers in Sandro, DCL and Niasse.
At the moment he doesn't quite know what players will fit into the structure he wants and this is more difficult because some are not available through injury.

I don't expect a lot of transfer activity in January because I think they may not have had time to completely decide on who should stay or go.

They will probably have to make a decision on Barkley and probably Mirallas as well and possibly Sandro if he really wants to go back to Spain . I think we may see one or two in but maybe no more than that.

No.

Funny thing about the Aubamayang jarg link is that Dortmund tried to hawk him around during the summer and no one bit at the price they wanted.

Of 'top' strikers, he's probably one of the few that would move purely for money and not 'CL or name of team' - he actually went into talks with a Chinese team after all, so isn't exactly not interested in money ^^

Chelsea and Liverpool won't go near him, otherwise they'd already have had him

and no we won't actually be interested - he's not exactly an Allardyce type player is he ...

Yes mate.

Apparently he and Alalrdyce have a very very good relationship, by accounts anyway Nzonzi really really likes him as a manager

From memory Allardyce tried to call him up for England but he'd been capped for the french under 21's in a official tournament.

Of all the various links, this is one i reckon will happen mate.

Very good player like
Definitely a good player, played us off the park in preseason and wasn't he voted one of the best midfielders in la liga last season or the one before, just weary of bad apples after some of the nobheads we have playing for us now.

Would absolutely love banega from Sevilla aswell, exactly the type of player we've been missing for years

I think you’re reaching a lot. Huge amount of young talent? Possibly. Personally I don’t think many top clubs would look at any of those players as future stars for years to come. Good squad options, but nothing spectacular. They’re not exactly Pulisic.

Pickford is the only summer signing who’s been a success from day 1. Rooney has been one of our better players (what that says about him and the rest of our team I’ll let you decide) and Sigurdsson is seemingly coming into a bit of form. Keane and Klaassen have been disappointing and sandro hasn’t shown a lot.

I’m most hopefully for Davies, Vlasic and Lookman out the names you mentioned but I’m cautious enough to not blow smoke up them just yet, especially when only Davies has started consistently.
I think you are being a bit harsh on our young talent mate. 6 of our kids are in the U21 squad so are amongst the best in the country you would assume. Vlasic is now in the full Croation squad (which I daresay is better than England). Henry is now in the full Nigerian squad. Not saying all of them will make it with us but the poster mentioned 15 names there all 24 or under (the vast majority under 21). We also have a load of players in their mid 30s who are basically finished. What we need are more players in their prime 25-30 to add balance.

As a matter of interest, who are these young talented players we should be bringing in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back