Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a knock down fee though mate would add what we sorely lack, a player who can beat people and is direct, he's fast - but never a player who struck me as reliant on pure pace over his technical ability.

anything in the 10-15m range would be worth the gamble IMO
Is he more worth the gamble than Lookman? With Martina still there, is he going to want to play defense most of the time? None of this matters unless we get a real LB.

I also say that a dynamo in midfield is more necessary. If we also get a pacey left back that likes staying wide Sigurdsson in the inside forward spot is plenty effective with the back providing width.

I'll make an exception for N'Zonzi, but getting older player to play wide is usually not a good idea. Gaitan will also have minimal resale value. I'd pass even at 18M.

..agree. There’s no doubt he’s a player, I was just pointing out his age. As you say, much would depend on the deal. I saw £18m quoted.

Niasse goes out for 13m, Gaitan in for 18m, I'd say that was a fair swap really mate, get 3 1/2 seasons out of him most likely and the difference having say him ahead of a left back like Shaw say would make to the balance and overall play of the team would be insane.

If you got even 70% of the player he was at Benfica for those 3 seasons then you'd have some player there.

On a side note, players like Lookman and Vlasc etc - IF they are to ever develop to the level we hope, simply need better players 'of that type' around them to learn off, right now they are having players like Lennon, Mirallas, Bolasie to look up to, none of whom have ever been that good really

Is he more worth the gamble than Lookman? With Martina still there, is he going to want to play defense most of the time? None of this matters unless we get a real LB.

I also say that a dynamo in midfield is more necessary. If we also get a pacey left back that likes staying wide Sigurdsson in the inside forward spot is plenty effective with the back providing width.

I'll make an exception for N'Zonzi, but getting older player to play wide is usually not a good idea. Gaitan will also have minimal resale value. I'd pass even at 18M.

Well goes without saying that we need more than anything a left back mate, I still think it'll be Shaw - think Mourinho has played him to boost his value and soon as United bring one in this window then he's out the door.

as for Gaitan, just always really liked the lad, yeah likelihood is you'd only get 2 - maybe - 3 good seasons out of him before losing his pace became a factor, as for Lookman, honestly don't see him as being ready for a starting role 'just' yet, so it's why i'd favour bringing in someone who isn't 25/26 who will provide a block to him until his mid 20's but rather a shorter term experienced and still VERY good player - who hopefully he can learn off as Lookman is still very raw in many ways.

How'd you feel if we did a deal which saw Sandro going the other way for a similar amount - given Athletico had an interest last summer in him?

We need a new first-team left back and one of Garbutt or Galloway brought in and registered in the squad. That will mean we will have Baines, the new lb and one of the above so that the chances of Cuco the clown ever playing again are very remote.

We also need to get rid of Niasse and bring in another striker. We only have one in Tosun, and no-one know if he will be any good.

Well goes without saying that we need more than anything a left back mate, I still think it'll be Shaw - think Mourinho has played him to boost his value and soon as United bring one in this window then he's out the door.

as for Gaitan, just always really liked the lad, yeah likelihood is you'd only get 2 - maybe - 3 good seasons out of him before losing his pace became a factor, as for Lookman, honestly don't see him as being ready for a starting role 'just' yet, so it's why i'd favour bringing in someone who isn't 25/26 who will provide a block to him until his mid 20's but rather a shorter term experienced and still VERY good player - who hopefully he can learn off as Lookman is still very raw in many ways.

There is often significant value to be had taking lads who are a bit older too. Look at Mirallas, if he was 24 there's no way Olympiakos could get him for a (decent) loan fee. I see Gaitan and Turan as similar for us really.

The other thing is is that Allardyce has proven very adept at taking lads with a similar profile to Gaitan and Turan at Bolton. He can clearly get a tune out of lads who may have fallen out of love with game a little.

They are a short term fix. As a whole I'm not in favour of short termism at all. You can kind of see from the Derby once Liverpool have developed a broader plan they have moved away from us. However under Allardyce it's where we are currently and better players can also help support the younger ones. I think Kenny looks an even better player with Bolasie in front of him for example. We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back