Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No good for us then
200_s.gif

Except he can't do anything if he is getting the ball to feet at the half way line and no space to run into mate. Walcott can't beat 3 players every time he gets the ball, there is no outlet for him, no-one playing him in behind, no-one for a 1-2 etc. We are playing with him literally hoping he can so something off his own back that wins us a game when the entire tactic is counter productive to that.

For example, where is vlasic , siggurdson, Rooney, gueye to name a few when he gets the ball?
Nowhere near him. And when they are they are static at the half way line with no urgency to break forward with him.

Walcott can be a massive player for us if we actually play to his strengths but we clearly aren't going to under allardyce.

Meanwhile Martina is messing about at the back and is a massive liability yet we have no urgency to fix that

In the left back position covering HIM.

We need an LCB/LB and that's obvious. Whether that's Funes Mori and/or Garbutt, or we sign a player who knows?
However, we definitely need someone in midfield to dictate how we play. We haven't had a player like that all season and it's just as much an obvious shortfall, as is the debacle at LCB/LB.

I firmly believe that we do have these players at the club already.

Siggy and Rooney can both do this job comfortably, if they were left to do it, but, both of them and others are being asked to constantly cover our left back every time the opposition launch an attack down our left.

I have said many times now that the whole balance of out team is being thrown out by us persisting in playing our 3rd choice right back in the left back position.

Every opposition manager will continue to target our left hand side because we have no naturally left footed players in our first team squad, because they all know it upsets the balance of our team and so prevents us from launching any sort of threatening counter attack.

Until we either get Baines back, register Garbutt ( probably not the answer, but a better option than the one we have right now) or buy a left back, this will continue to be the case.

IMO.

....I reckon we’ve now entered the last week of this January transfer window and here’s the rumours for this Wednesday morning;

- The Yorkshire Evening Post report Leeds as looking to turn the loan agreement for Everton’s Matthew Pennington into a permanent deal. This, however, is likely to be concluded in the summer.

- The Daily Mirror suggests Everton are talking to PSV about bringing their Director of Football, Marcel Brands, to Goodison. It is understood he will be asked to provide a global dimension to the work of Steve Walsh.

- The Mirror also reports Everton and Liverpool are going Head-to-Head for the signature of £4m Charlton centre back, Ezri Konsa. The 20 year old has already made 69 appearances for Charlton.

- MadaboutEPL website continues to link Everton with Chelsea’s 23 year old Left Back, Baba Rahman.

I don’t feel overly bothered about Pennington leaving on a perm.

I was never fully convinced.

The club doesn't usually get things wrong when it comes to selling on academy graduates. Sometimes they drop the ball with players who are like 15/16 and don't offer them scholarships (Jags and Baines) but when it comes to players that we sign on pro contracts the club have a very good record when it comes to selling them on.

Can't think of any recent examples where we have lived to regret selling one unless we were forced to (Rooney and Barkley) . That's why I'm refuse to lose my mind over the sale of Liam Walsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back