Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Eggs @catcherintherye

Barrios is a bit of an anomaly as none of us (i think) has seen him much.

He looks very good at tackling and has leadership ability (captain at his former team in Colombia) as well as being rated similar to Casemiro + Mascherano...also Real, Spurs and Chelsea have all been heavily linked.

In the WC games and youtube (the clips where they show the touches over 90mins of a player) he seems to make alot of short passes (back/sideways/forwards), enjoys a dribble and plays a few long passes as well.

Apparently hes the Boco fans favourite player and despite his red card against river plate hes only been sent off once in 2.5 years.

That being said, hed need to adapt to the league and as we saw with Mascherano that took a season at West Ham and some time at the RS.

His passing stats have been dire this season though at about 69% which apparently is well below his usual level...but who knows?

If his fee was the £14.5mil it was with his old release clause then it could be an interesting gamble as we know he is in sync with Mina at least.

I'm going off the World Cup really mate. His mate Lerma went for round 30 million and while I liked Lerma (he played number 16) I was more impressed with Barrios.

The two things I'd say are that Brands won't pay a fee over what he feels someone is worth. Secondly everything we've seen suggests he wanted Mina before the World Cup. It's likely he would have bought him off his form in South America. Which means Barrios is likely a consideration but also someone who is likely to be on our radar if we are looking in that direction.

As with Mina, who I broadly think has proven me right, I would be very happy if we signed Barrios.

@Eggs @catcherintherye

Barrios is a bit of an anomaly as none of us (i think) has seen him much.

He looks very good at tackling and has leadership ability (captain at his former team in Colombia) as well as being rated similar to Casemiro + Mascherano...also Real, Spurs and Chelsea have all been heavily linked.

In the WC games and youtube (the clips where they show the touches over 90mins of a player) he seems to make alot of short passes (back/sideways/forwards), enjoys a dribble and plays a few long passes as well.

Apparently hes the Boco fans favourite player and despite his red card against river plate hes only been sent off once in 2.5 years.

That being said, hed need to adapt to the league and as we saw with Mascherano that took a season at West Ham and some time at the RS.

His passing stats have been dire this season though at about 69% which apparently is well below his usual level...but who knows?

If his fee was the £14.5mil it was with his old release clause then it could be an interesting gamble as we know he is in sync with Mina at least.

...from what i’ve seen, Zat, he very much guards the back-four. I doubt he’d be as busy as Gueye, the area he works in requires real positional discipline.

As @catcherintherye says, much will depend on whether Silva wants that type to better fit his system.

...from what i’ve seen, Zat, he very much guards the back-four. I doubt he’d be as busy as Gueye, the area he works in requires real positional discipline.

As @catcherintherye says, much will depend on whether Silva wants that type to better fit his system.

I also think he looks to get on the ball and start moves, with a better long passing range. Lana is quite tidy with shorter passes but doesn't have that long pass range.

I like Gana, particularly in home games he's very very good. Swamps opponents. I'm not sure he's the type of player Silva ideally wants though, I think he will need someone who is a bit more comfortable on the ball either from deep, or a bit bigger in terms of getting box to box.

Gana is also at an age at 29, where he's unlikely to get much better. Ideally I'd want 30 million for him, but if you can get close to 20 and get Barrios for a similar figure (ideally saving a bit) I'd be happy enough in that.

@Zatara @Eggs What impressed me most about him in the England game was how good he was when the tempo slowed. In the first half, playing at a high tempo the England midfielders crowded him and nullified him. He kept battling away though, even when under the cosh which was impressive.

When England ran out of steam though, and space emerged to have a touch of the ball he showed he was a cut above all of them with his ability on the ball. He started dictating play from deep, covering his centre backs and playing as almost a sweeper. All the players looked for him and it was clear he had the ability to utilise the additional time and space afforded to him.

That was quite telling for me. If you look at Henderson (his opposite number) I think he is actually an effective decent player. However he's a bit of a one trick pony, he plays best at a tempo. When the tempo dropped he didn't control the pace at all. Barrios looked comfortable doing both.

I suspect Silva will want that from a player, yes someone who can do the former, but also at times to provide calmness in midfield.

£20m + Barrios in on a free?

Wouldn’t be the worst outcome. £20m into the kitty for brands to use. Sell Niasse for £10m and get a £30m forward.

Edit/ I’m not sure barrios is on a free? Think I might’ve made that up from somewhere

Why the hell would we sell Gana for £20 million mate?!

McCarthy is better than Gana....

Yep

Come at me

If McCarthy ever pritt sticks himself together and gets on the pitch let's revaluate things.

Personally I think people live off hype and also that he's from Glasgow. If he was from Lemington Spa noone would be championing him as some midfield enforcer.

I wasn't even convinced in his first season before his legs exploded.

I'm going off the World Cup really mate. His mate Lerma went for round 30 million and while I liked Lerma (he played number 16) I was more impressed with Barrios.

The two things I'd say are that Brands won't pay a fee over what he feels someone is worth. Secondly everything we've seen suggests he wanted Mina before the World Cup. It's likely he would have bought him off his form in South America. Which means Barrios is likely a consideration but also someone who is likely to be on our radar if we are looking in that direction.

As with Mina, who I broadly think has proven me right, I would be very happy if we signed Barrios.

I also think he looks to get on the ball and start moves, with a better long passing range. Lana is quite tidy with shorter passes but doesn't have that long pass range.

I like Gana, particularly in home games he's very very good. Swamps opponents. I'm not sure he's the type of player Silva ideally wants though, I think he will need someone who is a bit more comfortable on the ball either from deep, or a bit bigger in terms of getting box to box.

Gana is also at an age at 29, where he's unlikely to get much better. Ideally I'd want 30 million for him, but if you can get close to 20 and get Barrios for a similar figure (ideally saving a bit) I'd be happy enough in that.
@Zatara @Eggs What impressed me most about him in the England game was how good he was when the tempo slowed. In the first half, playing at a high tempo the England midfielders crowded him and nullified him. He kept battling away though, even when under the cosh which was impressive.

When England ran out of steam though, and space emerged to have a touch of the ball he showed he was a cut above all of them with his ability on the ball. He started dictating play from deep, covering his centre backs and playing as almost a sweeper. All the players looked for him and it was clear he had the ability to utilise the additional time and space afforded to him.

That was quite telling for me. If you look at Henderson (his opposite number) I think he is actually an effective decent player. However he's a bit of a one trick pony, he plays best at a tempo. When the tempo dropped he didn't control the pace at all. Barrios looked comfortable doing both.

I suspect Silva will want that from a player, yes someone who can do the former, but also at times to provide calmness in midfield.

Just based on what ive seen;

Makes short passes forwards/sideways/back also ive seen him make long passes in international games and switch the play.

Can drop back like @catcherintherye says and pick up the ball from the defence and carry it forward

Ive also seen him making runs with the ball not far short of the opposition area and then pass it wide

Tbh though most of what ive seen is based on random videos which showed him against the US and a couple of other sides.

He does look like a warrior with a lot of energy and a bite in the tackle.

I wonder if we could sell Gana and bring him in for a slightly smaller fee again as @catcherintherye mentioned.

To be honest if the fee is decent its probably worth signing him anyway and having him in the squad for the rest of the season to adapt.

Who on earth is saying he's like Mascherano?

Tim Vickery + other media sources...also to Casemiro at Real who are also linked.

Barrios is William Carvalho - shorter, slightly more active maybe.. He's actually a pretty good passer from what I've seen, but everything is short, possession based. He can handle the ball pretty well, too, and always thought he could do more with it. But he's really conversative pushing forward. He might be a bit more skilled with the ball - better ball control, better ability to make a more expansive pass - than Gana. But he's nowhere near as active winning balls and nowhere near as quick. I don't see any way he could get out and slow down counters in wide spaces like Gana. He just can't cover ground like him IMO. He's also a red card waiting to happen. He makes some truly horrid tackles, really high risk stuff when I've seen him.

Would I like him as a backup, maybe a useful 2nd DM off the bench or in certain tactics? Maybe. I do think he MIGHT be able to play at a higher level. But this isn't Lucas Torriera we are talking about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back