Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barrios is William Carvalho - shorter, slightly more active maybe.. He's actually a pretty good passer from what I've seen, but everything is short, possession based. He can handle the ball pretty well, too, and always thought he could do more with it. But he's really conversative pushing forward. He might be a bit more skilled with the ball - better ball control, better ability to make a more expansive pass - than Gana. But he's nowhere near as active winning balls and nowhere near as quick. I don't see any way he could get out and slow down counters in wide spaces like Gana. He just can't cover ground like him IMO. He's also a red card waiting to happen. He makes some truly horrid tackles, really high risk stuff when I've seen him.

Would I like him as a backup, maybe a useful 2nd DM off the bench or in certain tactics? Maybe. I do think he MIGHT be able to play at a higher level. But this isn't Lucas Torriera we are talking about here.

Slightly more active sounds worrying. My dead nan is slightly more active than the human wardrobe that is William Carvalho.

Slightly more active sounds worrying. My dead nan is slightly more active than the human wardrobe that is William Carvalho.
He may be a bit more dynamic than I'm giving him credit for. He certainly seems like he has the SKILLS to be more dynamic. Not sure he is, though.

That's fair tbh. Gomes needs to start scoring honestly.
I think he will, but no question he needs to eventually score and create more. He can hold the ball, he makes good decisions with it, he's been great for us. The other around him are probably more at fault - having a CF that can hold a ball for a second and allow us to move up the pitch would be helpful. Have a threat out right that's a lot more controlled and/or effective would also help.

That’s the rumoured fee PSG would be looking to pay. I was just starting a hypothetical discussion about whether it might be considered if barios could be got for free (which it appears he can’t anyway).

Even hypothetically, Barrios is in no way a similar player to Gueye. He's pretty slow, he's more of a player who sits deep and breaks up play, but isn't one who presses and gets about the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back