Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who will be competing with Digne or Coleman for right back when Baines leaves and Kenny (supposedly) isnt deemed good enough?

Seeing as Brands has been at Celtic matches and were linked in summer its not hard to put 2 and 2 together.

Very peculiar post by you.
Dunno, not Tierney though

Why would we spend 30+ milli on a back up full back you nutcase?

Why would he leave his boyhood club to come here and sit on our bench, when he'd no doubt have loads of teams willing to make him their first choice left back?

Zivkovic would fit the model of recruitment exactly that Brands has used since arriving, 22 years old, has taken the step up with his move to Portugal and excelled, and ready for that next step to a major top league,, would fit the system, and regarded as a player with untapped potential.

In the past we have recruited a step below what we are currently doing, as has brands at previous clubs due to his finances, nice to see what he's doing is effectively keeping the same strategy he's previously had, but adjusting it to suit the club and financial strength he now has. It actually removes a level of risk that previously both us and him have taken, now we are targeting players a step later/earlier in their career than we had to previously.

Ah, thought he was good just didn't score.

I never watched Watford.
I had him in my fantasy league team mate. Despite not scoring he was still playing well and was getting picked up until mid March when I think the effects of no break was kicking in. I remember keeping him in my fantasy team because I thought it was only a matter of time before he started scoring points again.

Why would he leave his boyhood club to come here and sit on our bench, when he'd no doubt have loads of teams willing to make him their first choice left back?

We are playing a left winger up top, if Gomes goes back to Barca we are back to playing Tom Davies in midfield, but no, what we DEFO need is another Left Back.

Zat ladies and gents, the man you wouldnt allow to even touch your FM save.

Still think Zinchenko from City is worth a shout. 21, shown promise at left back, and can play in midfield. Better than Davies from what I’ve seen. Could be available relatively cheap as he’s not breaking into City’s lineup any time soon.

Still think Zinchenko from City is worth a shout. 21, shown promise at left back, and can play in midfield. Better than Davies from what I’ve seen. Could be available relatively cheap as he’s not breaking into City’s lineup any time soon.

Zinchenko, who misses family and home-cooked food, told Championat.com: "Here is the best football in the world, better than anywhere else. But English life... to put it mildly, it's not for me.

"The weather crushes me. Plus, in Russia or Ukraine, there are more fun things to do. English life is not for me.

"The people here are... more miserable than in the Netherlands. But I understand - the sky is grey every day and it rains constantly.

He wont be staying in England.

He isnt backup though.

If he can play LB RB and DM thats 3 positions filled for one signing fee + 1 salary.

Instead of signing 3 players.

You realise we need 2 players for every position right?

Benfica fans are saying losing Zivkovic would be up there with them losing Bernardo Silva, something they are still particularly sour about.

Not sure on that, Bernardo Silva was phenomenal and someone i was saying we should sign just before he moved to Monaco.

Hes pretty quick is Zivkovic.. could easily play on the right and cut inside creating goals.

Zivkovic would fit the model of recruitment exactly that Brands has used since arriving, 22 years old, has taken the step up with his move to Portugal and excelled, and ready for that next step to a major top league,, would fit the system, and regarded as a player with untapped potential.

In the past we have recruited a step below what we are currently doing, as has brands at previous clubs due to his finances, nice to see what he's doing is effectively keeping the same strategy he's previously had, but adjusting it to suit the club and financial strength he now has. It actually removes a level of risk that previously both us and him have taken, now we are targeting players a step later/earlier in their career than we had to previously.

Silva is focusing on young players u25 who all have strong technical ability. Its really refreshing and shows a long term view.

The fees also are very reasonable. Just compare to the fanfare last Jan when we signed Tosun and Walcott...its several levels of quality higher for similar fees.

We are playing a left winger up top, if Gomes goes back to Barca we are back to playing Tom Davies in midfield, but no, what we DEFO need is another Left Back.

Zat ladies and gents, the man you wouldnt allow to even touch your FM save.

Ahhh you want to give Baines a lifetime contract.

You also said you dont rate Kenny highly so have changed your tune on him too...

Interesting...

I like him but i think his defensive side isnt great.

I think we should be going for real quality but if we do that perhaps its best to aim for players who can cover a couple of positions.

Militao RB + CB
Tierney LB + RB + DM

2 signings and our defence is complete.

Zinchenko, who misses family and home-cooked food, told Championat.com: "Here is the best football in the world, better than anywhere else. But English life... to put it mildly, it's not for me.

"The weather crushes me. Plus, in Russia or Ukraine, there are more fun things to do. English life is not for me.

"The people here are... more miserable than in the Netherlands. But I understand - the sky is grey every day and it rains constantly.

He wont be staying in England.
Meh, he chose to stay this summer.

He isnt backup though.

If he can play LB RB and DM thats 3 positions filled for one signing fee + 1 salary.

Instead of signing 3 players.

You realise we need 2 players for every position right?

Not sure on that, Bernardo Silva was phenomenal and someone i was saying we should sign just before he moved to Monaco.

Hes pretty quick is Zivkovic.. could easily play on the right and cut inside creating goals.

Silva is focusing on young players u25 who all have strong technical ability. Its really refreshing and shows a long term view.

The fees also are very reasonable. Just compare to the fanfare last Jan when we signed Tosun and Walcott...its several levels of quality higher for similar fees.

Ahhh you want to give Baines a lifetime contract.

You also said you dont rate Kenny highly so have changed your tune on him too...

Interesting...

I like him but i think his defensive side isnt great.

I think we should be going for real quality but if we do that perhaps its best to aim for players who can cover a couple of positions.

Militao RB + CB
Tierney LB + RB + DM

2 signings and our defence is complete.

Tierney is a LB, its 1 thing playing DM against Farmers in the SPL, but he wouldnt play DM for us.

How easily you forget about Robinson and Connolly.

Baines will leave this Summer, so no, I dont want to give him a contract for life, but I also dont wanna spend 30m on a back up LB, not while we have no strikers in the entire squad.

Tierney is a LB, its 1 thing playing DM against Farmers in the SPL, but he wouldnt play DM for us.

Baines will leave this Summer, so no, I dont want to give him a contract for life, but I also dont wanna spend 30m on a back up LB, not while we have no strikers in the entire squad.
I’ve seen Robinson enough now to know he’s nowhere near close to ready. Connolly is in and out for Wigan, isn’t he?
Move on from Tierney but I think we will have to find someone else who can play there at a decent level.

On the one hand you slate me for promoting the youth and on the other you slate me for 'forgetting' them lol

Robinson has been taking flak all season bar 2 or 3 games (as seen in the loan thread).

As for Connolly, check his games and a guide to how hes been doing here

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/316078/Show/Callum-Connolly

It looks ominous that neither player will be part of the first team squad next season.

Kenny i rate as a solid dependable right back. However a lot of posters dont agree. Hes being suggested as a Geordie signing here

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/11/blogs/newcastle-should-make-january-move-for-kenny/

I actually think ideally we should send Kenny on loan but sadly we have no cover for Coleman if we do that.

As for Tierney, by all accounts he was our first choice in the summer and we were only put off by the asking price. Looking at the players weve signed i dont think we will be spending peanuts on any positions until Silva and Brands are happy with the squad.

With the above in mind, we would need both a left back and a right back this summer who would likely cost £10mil a pop minimum.

So the question (even if we ignore Tierney) would be;

A-- Sign 2 players for £10mil each who would be happy to come and sit on the bench (highly unlikely based on our transfer strategy).

B-- Sign 1 player who can cover 2 or 3 positions as a utility player who is confident in their ability to stake a claim for a place.

Either way, the sale of some of the players on loan or release of those in the u23s (Browning, Galloway, Garbutt, Connolly, Robinson + loan fees for kenny) would take a decent chunk off the price tag and wages of whoever comes in.

As for a centre forward, we have Richarlison. If we sign another forward then it surely would be funded by Tosun + Niasse sales and would be as a rotation option. That position is a totally separate affair to the defence.

Defences and keepers win titles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back