Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange considering he doesn’t seem to be one of their main players this season.

Peculiar...perhaps shattered as hes not had a real break in a couple of seasons...like Watford/Richarlison.

Ideal for us to come in Jan and get a few sub games gradually getting him up to speed for next season.

Zivkovic would fit the model of recruitment exactly that Brands has used since arriving, 22 years old, has taken the step up with his move to Portugal and excelled, and ready for that next step to a major top league,, would fit the system, and regarded as a player with untapped potential.

In the past we have recruited a step below what we are currently doing, as has brands at previous clubs due to his finances, nice to see what he's doing is effectively keeping the same strategy he's previously had, but adjusting it to suit the club and financial strength he now has. It actually removes a level of risk that previously both us and him have taken, now we are targeting players a step later/earlier in their career than we had to previously.

I’d still like to see him go for a few from the step previous though. If we can get the players when they go for £5m rather than £20m+ then we can get more of them in theory. I realise that’s not easy though.

The wage bill is much higher, there using old figures

Bernard, mina, richarlison and digne will be a combined 400k a week

Zouma and gomes is 4m in loan fees plus there wages on top.

No way are villa middelsboro stoke paying the full salary it's probably half.
Also I'm pretty sure we are still paying Koemans holland wages until the end of next season.

Rooney was on 150k
Mori was on 40k
Klaassen on 100k
Robles 20k
Bolasie 60k
Williams 90k
Besic 30k
Mirallas 40k
Coco 30k
Vlasic 30k
Sandro 80k

Loan fees on top of that.

Think I'm being conservative with some figures. Our wage bill has probably been reduced. Which is remarkable really.

I’d still like to see him go for a few from the step previous though. If we can get the players when they go for £5m rather than £20m+ then we can get more of them in theory. I realise that’s not easy though.

I think the strategy is to go for 'ready made' players with huge upside u25.

Make a play for top 4 and then once we have a settled team go for u21s to push the first team players to perform each week.

On the one hand you slate me for promoting the youth and on the other you slate me for 'forgetting' them lol

Robinson has been taking flak all season bar 2 or 3 games (as seen in the loan thread).

As for Connolly, check his games and a guide to how hes been doing here

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/316078/Show/Callum-Connolly

It looks ominous that neither player will be part of the first team squad next season.

Kenny i rate as a solid dependable right back. However a lot of posters dont agree. Hes being suggested as a Geordie signing here

https://thisisfutbol.com/2018/11/blogs/newcastle-should-make-january-move-for-kenny/

I actually think ideally we should send Kenny on loan but sadly we have no cover for Coleman if we do that.

As for Tierney, by all accounts he was our first choice in the summer and we were only put off by the asking price. Looking at the players weve signed i dont think we will be spending peanuts on any positions until Silva and Brands are happy with the squad.

With the above in mind, we would need both a left back and a right back this summer who would likely cost £10mil a pop minimum.

So the question (even if we ignore Tierney) would be;

A-- Sign 2 players for £10mil each who would be happy to come and sit on the bench (highly unlikely based on our transfer strategy).

B-- Sign 1 player who can cover 2 or 3 positions as a utility player who is confident in their ability to stake a claim for a place.

Either way, the sale of some of the players on loan or release of those in the u23s (Browning, Galloway, Garbutt, Connolly, Robinson + loan fees for kenny) would take a decent chunk off the price tag and wages of whoever comes in.

As for a centre forward, we have Richarlison. If we sign another forward then it surely would be funded by Tosun + Niasse sales and would be as a rotation option. That position is a totally separate affair to the defence.

Defences and keepers win titles...

Midfields win titles, ask City.

Contracts of players potentially to be moved on.

Baines
Williams
Jagielka
Browning

Stekelenburg
Cuco
Garbutt
Galloway
McCarthy
Mirallas
Tarashaj
Niasse

Pennington
Bolasie
Walcott
Besic
Schneiderlin

The bad news is that we still have 2.5 seasons) to rid ourselves of the final 5.

The 'good news' is that over that time period, either by contracts elapsing or sales we can clear off the wages of 17 players.

Edit as per @MarcelsGoat

STCC focuses on wages
FFP focuses on overall spending/debt

*so we should benefit on STCC rules season on season.

Contracts of players potentially to be moved on.

Baines
Williams
Jagielka
Browning

Stekelenburg
Cuco
Garbutt
Galloway
McCarthy
Mirallas
Tarashaj
Niasse

Pennington
Bolasie
Walcott
Besic
Schneiderlin

The bad news is that we still have 2.5 seasons) to rid ourselves of the final 5.

The 'good news' is that over that time period, either by contracts elapsing or sales we can clear off the wages of 17 players.

Important to note that FFP focuses on wages also year to year...

STCC focuses on wages
FFP focuses on overall spending/debt

Do you think Ederson won them the title?

Interesting.

Didnt name him lol

I'm saying they spent a fortune on defenders and keeper with the aim of winning a title.

The RS spent a fortune on midfielders/forwards and didnt come close. Now they look a threat after improving their keeper and defence.

Its key.

Tierney is a LB, its 1 thing playing DM against Farmers in the SPL, but he wouldnt play DM for us.

How easily you forget about Robinson and Connolly.

Baines will leave this Summer, so no, I dont want to give him a contract for life, but I also dont wanna spend 30m on a back up LB, not while we have no strikers in the entire squad.

Why would Tierney move here to be a utility man? Why would we pay $30M for someone to play them out of position?

If Robinson isn't a capable enough backup, I understand wanting to get another player in, but find a bargain with upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back