Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

For me games are won and lost in midfield, not all the time and not every team, some teams are built on strong defences, Jose has won titles that way, some teams are built on strong attacks, wow, my memory is bad, but I cant instantly think of a team that was built solely to attack and was successful, but anyway, then theres other teams, like the Leicester team, that was built on pure workrate, teamwork and a desire to win.

For me Citys strongest area is midfield, David Silva and the boy KDB are just peerless, they have of course AGUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERO up top and Scrappy Doo on the wing, but I wouldnt say any of their defenders are top class, the Keeper is very good of course.

Last season City won the title, they conceded the least goals, they scored the most goals.
The season before Spurs conceded the least and scored the most to finish 2nd.
The season before Utd finished 5th while conceding the least, City 4th scoring the most.
Chelsea won the title, conceding the least, City finished 2nd scoring the most.

Anyway, I was just interested, of course a good defence and a good keeper helps, as does a good striker, but for me games are won and lost in midfield.

City has some top class defenders. I would say that Walker, Stones and Laporte would start for pretty much any team in Europe. Mendy has proven to be a class act going forward too.

However, I think the whole idea of defence or midfield or attack wins titles is dated. Nowadays you need a balanced team that has the steel to beat anyone.

We’re closer to that than we’ve been in years.

Did a quick search of players who run out of contract at the end of 2019.

Some interesting names

Contact ends 2018/19
Dreaming from that list

James
Vrsaljko
Martial
Most of the big names listed on there are just showing the date their loan ends rather the contract with their parent club. James and Vrsaljko are on loan with options to buy and I think United have the option of extending Martial's contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back