Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inside futbol reckon Everton and Watford have been keeping tabs on Celta Vigo midfielder Stanislav Lobotka, who has also been on the radar of Paris Saint-Germain and Napoli. Apparently Watford want him to replace Dacoure? However, I am sure that inside futbol is a click bait site?

...the above post is from 4th January following a report in Le10 Sport.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spo...astle-united-transfer-gelson-martins-15723801

Newcastle United's loan bid to sign Gelson Martins in trouble as Monaco pounce late for Atletico Madrid man.

Newcastle United's loan bid to sign Gelson Martins has been hijacked by Monaco - the same club they submitted a loan offer to for Antonio Barreca only this morning.

The Ligue 1 club were open to loaning Barreca to the Magpies if an arrangement fee is paid, but either side of those discussions, Monaco were also talking to Atletico Madrid about former Sporting Lisbon man Martins.

Martins looks likely to be on his way to the principality club in a loan deal until the end of the season.

United sources have indicated that Martins did speak to Toon officials but was lukewarm on the move and Benitez is now looking at other targets.

I think he could be the new Jordy Clasie, should he come in. As you say different conditions in Spain - Time, space etc... He’s evidently settled there and adapted, but the way he plays can be really difficult to transfer to the Prem. Many great midfielders have failed before now - At £20m, it’s a big risk, but that’s how much at the least any replacement who is young and promising player would cost.

If Brands feels he can improve him, then good - but do we have the patience for such a signing to come in and grow? I think I do (wether it’s him or another young player), but most seem we can go out and buy the next Milinkovic-Savic for 10p and whoever comes in will rip up the league.

As we move forward, there’s going to be some transfers that don’t work out.

If Gana goes, what do people think is going to be the plan in replacing him. With playing style and what we need fitting in to what we have?
Think the highlighted bit is the crux here. I think we need to give Brands (and Silva initially) the time to turn this club around, and I'm not convinced that our fans and, more importantly, the owner, will give him what he needs. Everybody is desperate for success and we want it now.

I actually thought that Moshiri talked more good sense than ever at the last AGM, and it's a sign that he's taking on board what Brands is preaching. I fully agree that bringing in younger promising players on lower wages is the way forward for us, but more so than established players they will need patience. However, despite what Mosh is saying now, our league position will always dictate decision making. It's a worry.

As regards Gana, it's a strange position we are in. What he does well, you could argue that nobody out there does it better, and there are probably at least a dozen games per year that we need that type of player in the team. But for the rest of the games we need somebody who brings more to the team than winning the ball back. In the ideal world we would have two defensive midfielders, of Gana's quality, that compliment each other, and we would rotate them depending upon who we are playing. However, in our present position and without European football, I doubt we could keep both players happy. So I suspect that Brands/Silva would opt for more of a passing/pivotal holding midfielder who would better compliment the system Silva would employ on a more regular basis.

Let Brands do his job. If we have to wait till Summer for a new player then so what? It’s hardly like we’re going to push a European spot or get relegated off the back of the January window are we.

Such an impatient fan base.
24 years without a trophy and selling out home and away every week says otherwise. We can't win as a fanbase, we get criticised for being too passive and not demanding enough, and then for being too impatient and negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back