Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
January is not the time for prising any decent player from a team with anything to compete for in a big league. That means teams looking at wining the leagues, cups, european qualification or even survival.

Unless you are willing to pay massively over the odds then teams will just not sell mid-season.

Any January seasons will come from either a non-Top 5 european league (plus not the likes of Benfica, Porto, Ajax, PSV etc..) or from a fringe player at another club. The latter is where some bargains can be picked up. Are there any players on the fringes at a big club that can be prised away with the guarantee of playing time?

Players like Gelson Martins, Joao Mario, Loftus-Cheek, Victor Moses, Shinji Kagawa, Mario Goetze, Divock Origi, Sandro Wagner, Timothy Weah, Malcom, Mariano, Andres Periera fit that type of profile. Players struggling for playing time who may be available on loan or permanently. I'm not saying buy any of those players. Just think players in this situation are the best to try and aim for in January.

IF we could add Lozano and Ndombele and keep Gomes/Zouma, we would have made a huge leap in the space of 12 months.
Looking at 140 m or thereabouts for those
Unless that yacht sails up the Mersey or we suddenly get good money for
Tosun , Schnederlin , Naisse , McCarthy , Dowell , Walcott and one of Henry / Vlasic then I can’t see it happening
But then I’m not Marcel the Magician

Tosun , Schnederlin , Naisse , McCarthy , Dowell , Walcott and one of Henry / Vlasic then I can’t see it happening

You could get 8-10+ for Morgan, same for niasse, McCarthy similar teams are desperate for premier League proven, even when it comes with a broken a tusk player.

Henry and Vlasic would fetch 15+m each in the current market, Walcott similar. Tosun 10-15m

Absolute low end estimate of 85+m from those.

Get a few teams desperate enough in January and that could be doubled. Could easily see both Morgan and McCarthy going for 15m for someone just hoping they turn their firm back three years, niasse and tosun both will score goals so similarly could end up with 15+ if someone panics.

Same for Walcott from someone like saints etc could see them throwing 20-25m to try keep on the gravy train

Henry and Vlasic, both could see their value rise hugely if they push on second half of the season.

You could get 8-10+ for Morgan, same for niasse, McCarthy similar teams are desperate for premier League proven, even when it comes with a broken a tusk player.

Henry and Vlasic would fetch 15+m each in the current market, Walcott similar. Tosun 10-15m

Get a few teams desperate enough in January and that could be doubled. Could easily see both Morgan and McCarthy going for 15m for someone just hoping they turn their firm back three years, niasse and tosun both will score goals so similarly could end up with 15+ if someone panics.

Henry and Vlasic, both could see their value rise hugely if they push on second half of the season.

Can't see anyone coming in for McCarthy. He was already injury prone, but the break will have torpedoed his value completely.

Same for Walcott from someone like saints etc could see them throwing 20-25m to try keep on the gravy train

I honestly don't think any of those players, apart from Niasse, will go anywhere in January.

Maybe Schneiderlin.

Funny thought came to me when reading that interview the other day, in hindsight the disaster that was Walsh could prove to have been the catalyst needed to change certain things around and give Brands exactly what he wanted to get him here

My suspicion is he'd have given it to Brands either way but Brands wasn't ready to leave straight away.

I also think Silva was Brands' man not Moshiri's. He'd have not wanted to work with Koeman and when he went provisionally agreed to come at the end of the season and identified Silva as the man he wanted to work with. It probably explains why the managerial hunt was conducted in quite a chaotic and lengthy way.

Walcott is starting every week! He wont be going anywhere, nor should he.

Walcott is starting every week! He wont be going anywhere, nor should he.
I know but the OP said if we sign Lozano who plays right wing
So if we sign Lozano then Walcott would be benched and we have Lookman who can cover that position
I wasn’t saying sell Walcott I was pointing out who we would need to sell to raise most of the 140m to sign the 4 players quoted

My suspicion is he'd have given it to Brands either way but Brands wasn't ready to leave straight away.

I also think Silva was Brands' man not Moshiri's. He'd have not wanted to work with Koeman and when he went provisionally agreed to come at the end of the season and identified Silva as the man he wanted to work with. It probably explains why the managerial hunt was conducted in quite a chaotic and lengthy way.

Nah mate in this I don't agree with you, if brands had already agreed to cone end of season when we started pursuing Silva first time, then not a chance on earth we buy either tosun or Walcott, or hire allardyce.

But whose going to buy them.
A 28m player had to be loaned out to the championship because there were no takers

I do love some of these fantastical sums we pick out for our players. We may sell one in Jan, possibly loan out another. We may get 10m. I’d rather underplay and be pleasantly surprised, than assume the whole fringe over 25 will be sold and we’ll get Lozano and Barbosa in for the cost of the outgoings, to end up with Niasse on loan at a Turkish club, where we end up paying them to take him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back