Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think brands would have signed Walcott and tosun?
I don't tbh, i think we would have made signings in those positions but with regards to Walcott i think we would have gone for someone a bit younger, and with regards to Tosun i think we would/will have signed someone who is a more of a forward type who can play anywhere in the front 3 like Lozano rather than an out and out striker. Also can't help feeling with Walcott that he seems to be guaranteed a starting place each week, i bet there is something in his contract, that would be such an Allardyce thing to do, i can see BFS telling him he would be first name on the team sheet.

I have no idea and neither do you.

I don't think he would have objected to it anyway.

Why are we acting like Theo Walcott, a player who has played every game this season, is the new Stuart Barlow or something. It's mad.

Dunno where my posts slagging Walcott are mate, cos pretty sure I haven't, quite the opposite actually.

I've simply said I don't believe that brands was effectively the man who chose Silva after koeman was sacked and had agreed to take the job back then, thus thinking Walcott and tosun would have been signed off by him seems frankly a bit far fetched don't you think?

Would he have recruited for example tosun, clearly he wouldn't, he doesn't suit the managers system and he was vastly overlayed for, would he have recruited Walcott, maybe, although looking at who he has recruited, I doubt an injury prone player on big wages who'd be 32/33 at contracts end would have been his first through the door like

I don't tbh, i think we would have made signings in those positions but with regards to Walcott i think we would have gone for someone a bit younger, and with regards to Tosun i think we would/will have signed someone who is a more of a forward type who can play anywhere in the front 3 like Lozano rather than an out and out striker. Also can't help feeling with Walcott that he seems to be guaranteed a starting place each week, i bet there is something in his contract, that would be such an Allardyce thing to do, i can see BFS telling him he would be first name on the team sheet.

Think that type of must play deal is almost always entire rubbish mate, not sure if it even actually has ever been done in reality

Things could be worse. We could have signed Markoviclol

Weird thing is mate that lad was actually really a top talent, shows how mentality of a younger player, making the right move to the right club etc can make or break a career.

If the same lad I saw at benfica though was available now at the same age etc, I'd be made up of we went for him...

He’s a weird one. Seen him a few times before they signed him and he was sooo good.
Weird thing is mate that lad was actually really a top talent, shows how mentality of a younger player, making the right move to the right club etc can make or break a career.

If the same lad I saw at benfica though was available now at the same age etc, I'd be made up of we went for him...
Struggling for game time with Liverpool U23s now.

Think that type of must play deal is almost always entire rubbish mate, not sure if it even actually has ever been done in reality
But how on earth is he is still playing then? he's not a team player, his form at the moment is woeful and he should have been dropped weeks ago, i honestly can't see any other reason for him still being in the team even though i know you are probably correct.

But how on earth is he is still playing then? he's not a team player, his form at the moment is woeful and he should have been dropped weeks ago, i honestly can't see any other reason for him still being in the team even though i know you are probably correct.

Because we don't have anyone else who does exactly what he does brilliantly mate, hitting that diagonal channel with blinding pace. Take him out the team and the opposition can shift ten years further up the pitch and we lose away from home a huge part of our counter attacking game

Shane the lad can't finish his dinner never mind score atm though, but he still creates serious issues for the opponent, hell that exact run led to the goal on Sunday

That's pretty obvious mate and with respect a little bit narrow in my opinion. I think there are greater nuances contractually myself, lads entering the ends of their contracts are more likely to leave then the likes of Morgan, who i can see being loaned out to mitigate his value in the first option as opposed to crystallizing a loss if anyone is interested.The nuances of peoples contracts, liability, value and book value rarely gets any play when applying to potential deals. In essence you can only have so many Klassens and preferably none.

I think we had a similar discussion before and agreed to differ.

..yep, I recall your formula for calculating the return on players. I have never quite got my head around that but i’m not knocking it in the least, it’s something clubs and those more economically smarter than me probably use. It’s interesting stuff and a welcome addition to informed discussion.

Dunno where my posts slagging Walcott are mate, cos pretty sure I haven't, quite the opposite actually.

I've simply said I don't believe that brands was effectively the man who chose Silva after koeman was sacked and had agreed to take the job back then, thus thinking Walcott and tosun would have been signed off by him seems frankly a bit far fetched don't you think?

Would he have recruited for example tosun, clearly he wouldn't, he doesn't suit the managers system and he was vastly overlayed for, would he have recruited Walcott, maybe, although looking at who he has recruited, I doubt an injury prone player on big wages who'd be 32/33 at contracts end would have been his first through the door like

He has played every game this season so i don't think he is that injury prone... (although he does seem to take a knock every game.)

Not saying you are slagging off Walcott, it's just a lot of people are and its daft.

Personally I don't think he would have had any say in those signings because that would be asking for trouble in his position at that time, but obviously discussions will have been had before he got here. That's why Allardyce was brought in as a steady pair of hands. Tosun hasn't quite worked out as of yet but I dont think anyone would turn their nose up at Walcott so it was a safe signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back