Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
The FFP is there to maintain the elite while pretending they're doing it to protect smaller clubs from getting in to financial trouble. It was all about stopping smaller clubs from being taken over by a super rich benefactor and challenging the elite.

A bit like the Champions League 3rd placed teams drop in to the Europa league, not because it's fair just to give the big clubs a chance to increase revenue despite failing in the competition.

Personally I can't believe the 3rd placed teams dropping in to Europa league wasn't opposed by fans of any team other than the top 6. It makes a mockery of the Europa League.

We were in the top six regularly when the EL came into being.

I think we need to stop thinking in terms of a "top six" as a shorthand way of saying elite clubs.

The top six is interchangeable and two of the current top six finished outside the top six as recently as last season.

It is Sky at their football Orwellian Nuspeak again.

Like hyping up yesterday's two big games as "Merseyside v Manchester"........as if there was common purpose between the two clubs from each city in the games and civic pride was at stake.

And whatever way anyone cuts it, 5th place is still "best of the rest".......not 7th.

Seeing a lot of chatter regarding Jags, Jamo and Geri, cant be long till it turns into drumbeats for some/all of them I would imagine.

Still nothing starting to bubble regarding incomings, hopefully we get a few titbits later on.

I think we need to stop thinking in terms of a "top six" as a shorthand way of saying elite clubs.

The top six is interchangeable and two of the current top six finished outside the top six as recently as last season.

Like hyping up yesterday's two big games as "Merseyside v Manchester"........as if there was common purpose between the two clubs from each city in the games and civic pride was at stake.

And whatever way anyone cuts it, 5th place is still "best of the rest".......not 7th.
Kerrect. Anyone who thinks Liverpool is an elite club is delusional. They merely shout the loudest - tedious attention seekers.

Seeing a lot of chatter regarding Jags, Jamo and Geri, cant be long till it turns into drumbeats for some/all of them I would imagine.

Still nothing starting to bubble regarding incomings, hopefully we get a few titbits later on.
Personally am going to find it very, very difficult to see both Jags and Deulofeu go - two of my favourite players in a long time although obviously very different styles.

And, if we start finishing 5th or 6th over, say, the next 3 or 4 seasons, it will become the 'magnificent seven' or something stupid like that. No way would they let any one of those sides dip out (maybe Spurs at a push if it were actually them down in 7th).

No.
Some clubs wont have to pay as much as us tho. Hence the cat and mouse.
So his clause means champions league clubs can buy him at a set fee & we are just going to pay more. This for me increases our chances of buying him as surely we become Southampton's preferred club to sell too. We really need Liverpool to beat them next week to have any chance of getting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back