Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
They won't pay the quoted fees it would take to get him mate, not a chance on earth of that
ordinarily i'd agree with you 100% but if the RS steady that back line - and VVD would do that - and stop shipping goals they could still win the league. It's whether they think the cost is worth the reward. You're probably right but if it were us i'd want us to risk it.

Lets be honest, it doesn't matter who is linked with VVD because unless they suddenly sign two class centre backs i can't see Southampton selling him this window anyway.

No rush for us now between now and end of window as we have no games coming up!
Ronnie will have a little 3-4 day break somewhere sunny have a few corona's then jump on a plane to go watch gronigen play for a day and be back in the office Friday.
Can't see much happening until next Monday/Tuesday if anything

I also think over the last month or so, the like of Joel, Funes Mori, McCarthy, Mirallas & Barkley are all willing to fight for there place in the team along with the performances of Holgate & Davies has decreased the need to jump in the market so we can show abit more patience

yep.

With Del going, we could do with a wide forward to replace him and add further depth up front.

Unless Jagielka leaves, I reckon that will be our lot until summer, and I wouldn't be too unhappy.

Would be disappointed if we don't see some incoming action in the next week, though.

raw

Donna something or other, yeah think Juve are sniffing around him arent they?

Yep and they are using Raiola to try and get him.

The keeper situation is a tough one. I really like Joel but he's just short of something that makes keepers top class. I would rather keep him than spend £15 mill on Heaton, who is 30.

Joe Hart is a superb shot stopper but his concentration is sometimes all over the shop and he's not great coming to collect, Joel is much better. He is also 30 this year and would cost similar to Heaton but large wages.

Forster hasnt hit the heights of last season and Saints fans havent been to impressed with him this season.

Butland would be my pick, right age, quality already and will only get better. However he seems to pick up a few injuries which is unusual for a GK.

I havent seen much of Leno or Horn but surely if they are any good pur scouting team will have them on our radar.

I have said before that the keeper scouting must be the toughest.

Robles is really making me take notice of him at the moment. You cannot fail to be impressed by his recent performances. I'd say give him the shirt until the end of the season and decide if we need a better keeper then. He's deserved the chance to have a good run in the side.

We do need a goalscoring midfielder badly though, and a second striker too. I'd love one of those brought in between now and the end of the window. I think we could push for 5th with that.

True. But we hadn't been 'linked' loads with Ba.

Deals can happen without everybody knowing about them.

let's just wait and see. Still pretty clear that we have targets I think, but we're not going to rush into getting them.

Also things can change depending on what happens with the current players.

Interesting that after a few days of working with Lookman we seemed to pull away from both Depay and the Algerian lad - and Koeman has really talked him up ability wise - think maybe he has surprised with how ready he already is and meant a couple of deals that the manager looked at to strengthen but wasn't 100% convinced abotu he has pulled off the table

Similarly in the summer we appeared to be after cover for coleman - Holgate and possibly Kenny have impressed enoguh that we no longer are looking

Davies developed at a pace that meant where we had been looking at bringing in several midifelder centrally - we settled for bringing just Schneiderlin in

Robles has the chance to make the manager do a rethink about keeper now till the end of the season as well

Think that may be behind the quality over quantity statement the other day, as the form of some of the yougner players ha sremoved the need to bring in 'squad players' as they can fill those roles more than adequately, anyone we bring in now will be either a starter or in a position we just havent got any cover (cb and striker)

Do we need to sign anybody?

Well, everybody was complaining that we didn't do enough in summer.

Since then, we have lost Bolasie long term, DCL is injured as well, Clev and Niasse have gone out, Del is about to go and possibly Jags by the looks of it, Kone as well if we are lucky.

We have seen only 2 come in, although Davies and Holgate have made the step up to the first team of course.

So yes, I would hazard that it could be argued we need more. Also, we need to replace the horrendous players Martinez signed with proper quality if we want to get into that top 6.

I actually don't think either United or Chelsea would be interested mate, Mourinho doesn't need a ball playing centre half, Conte already has one of those, yeah he's a bvery good defender on top of that, but the thing driving the price higher is the fact he's very very good on the ball as well

City - god knows about them honestly, Pep is as likely to buy a 5'6 winger and convert him to centre half as buy a proper one

Agree that Conte will go back to Italy for a CB, but I don't think Juve would break up their solid foundation of Buffon, Chiellini, barzagli and bonucci.

Maybe Romagnoli, De Vrij or Manolas are more realistic targets.
I have a horrible feeling that City will get VVD, then offer us Stones and £20m for Holgate lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back