Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think your reply is in that quote there mate .

You say nobody could have predicted the season Chelsea had and that they were dirge and obviously Leicester were champions . Just for clarity Chelsea were fourth favourites to win the league this year after the Manchester clubs and Arsenal at about 13/2 and Leicester were 28/1.

Kante went to Chelsea for a number of reasons and I'm sure the money and London living were at the heart of it but it's not like the lad went to Burnley .

Well give the lad a chance eh. I dont see him in the Gueye mold, Gana is a pure engine whereas Schneiderlin is a more intelligent player. Don't see why people are arsed about the fee, not like it is our own money is it. I genuinely thought Evertonians would stop moaning if we spent a bit this window. How wrong I was.
Can't win mate. If we spend big it's a waste of money. If we don't, the sell to buy brigade come out in force.

Dont think we are done yet. Think there will be another three in - two for the U23s squad in the Man City defender and George Hirst and one first team ready signing. Fully expect to not have heard of whoever the third signing is as it looks like we are looking at the Walsh list of targets. Expect there to be significant numbers out too, with a few of the u23s going on loan and hopefully a few of the wage stealers going on loans or permanent deals.

If the player becomes available you get him if possible. If Koeman rates Schneiderlin and wants him in the team then if he becomes available you move before someone else does. His attacking targets may not be available until Summer, do we waste money on players he doesn't really want or sit tight? Remember there's Bolasie'd injury as well. If he recovers there's no point in splashing out big money on his squad place.
...and the same principle should have been applied to Besic when considering Schneiderlin.

We could have 100 CMs, but even if 98 weren't good enough, we would still need to sign another.

Last 10 goals in the league have come from..

Coleman, Lookman, Davies, Mirallas, Lukaku, Lukaku, Baines, Valencia, Barkley, OG

Not..

Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku, Lukaku

Although he is our best player and integral to us. I am still confident with that we could keep clean sheets, dominate the midfield (now we have strengthened it) and nick goals and wins without him as we have many players capable of getting on the score sheet. Not a one man team by any stretch. We have enough to get us to the summer.
I actually think this is Koeman's plan.

What if players of the standard required aren't available? If schneiderlan was and is an improvement on what we have, what's the problem?
Then save the cash and add it to the cash you'll have in the summer and get a top quality playmaker/striker in then.

"Not in it this year tho are they.Leicester are.

He went solely for the big bucks...dont think anyone in sport could have predicted the season Chelsea are having.
And last year they were as bad as us....dirge."

Leicester won't be in it next season, Chelsea will be. Chelsea also stand a far, far better chance of being in it after next year as well.

It wasn't solely about the money. Chelsea is a better and bigger club than Leicester in every way right now. I'm honestly shocked more of their team didn't get off. Kante looks the sensible one right now.

There were times over the past two seasons where I briefly awoke from the coma the players had hypnotised me into with their non-penetrative sideways fanny-about-on-the-ball passing where I was screaming at them to just launch it into the box.

It's about balance Dave.

Davies and Barkley being in the team will prevent us playing complete hoofball, they want to get on the ball and pass it on the deck or in Ross' case take it up the pitch on a run.
I think Schneiderlin will see Barkley by-passed.

That's an opinion thing though. I liked most of what I saw from Bolasie, what happened was terrible, and really rate Williams. It's not just Koeman that has helped our defence look better. There's nothing wrong with a few short term signings either, as long as they help the club get to where they want.

I do have Lukaku fear though like you.
Williams needs somebody speedy alongside him. He looked more exposed when he and Jags were playing together.

This back 3 system seems to suit him too and it must be brilliant for Holgate playing alongside him.

I suspect you'd have paid £22m for Gana with the benefit of hindsight mate. Had we paid that amount in July I'd imagine you, along with 99.9% of Evertonian's, would have been blocking the phone lines at Goodison.

I've never rated Schneids that highly to be honest. He's the sort of player that goes unnoticed to neutrals, but the home teams love. Similar to Gana. Happy to go along with the majority on here though and accept that his purchase represents an improvement to the starting XI. So no complaints from me.

However I do agree with Dave and yourself that our bigger need was for a top playmaker and a back up for Rom, and if we end the window with neither I'll be disappointed. If we get both, and manage to offload a couple more of the wasters in the process, it will possibly go down as the best window ever. There's still time;)

Yes that comment was absolutely made in retrospect of how well Gueye has done this season. I knew nothing about him before and he has been a very pleasant surprise, I'm very hopeful that Schneiderlin can surprise and impress me too.

I'm not upset about the deal or anything he just isn't the type of player I was hoping for.

We play in a different way. We play Mirallas up front. We change formation , we adapt.

I am not disagreeing with you about signing another striker, we do need cover for Lukaku, I would guess that the manager is well aware of where the squad needs strengthening, but maybe the player he wants isn't available in this window and he won't settle for less(nsno).

Of course, Calvert-Lewis is a striker and should be back in another two or three weeks.
Exactly. A massive disruption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back