Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does Koeman make such a big deal of it ? Does he not have a plan B for the team right now until he gets the balance right ?
Pressing is not something that you can teach, its about having a player willing to run that little bit further, a little bit quicker.

If Koeman feels the pressing game isn't working, that does not give him a free pass to swerve everything between now and the next two windows.

He makes a big deal of it because it is such a simple thing that leads to results mate - yet our forward players seem incapable of doing it.

Press the oppo, win the ball back high up the field and create chances. Don't sit off and wait to go a goal down.

And no it doesn't. Koeman now needs to see that the players he is picking aren't good enough/can't press, so he has to pick players who will play for the shirt in their place. That's on him now.

He makes a big deal of it because it is such a simple thing that leads to results mate - yet our forward players seem incapable of doing it.

Press the oppo, win the ball back high up the field and create chances. Don't sit off and wait to go a goal down.

And no it doesn't. Koeman now needs to see that the players he is picking aren't good enough/can't press, so he has to pick players who will play for the shirt in their place. That's on him now.

I agree with the pressing btw, didn't mention that last post, of course winning the ball back is the main aim of the team when the opposition has it. The point im trying to make it that he surely knows the lads now cannot work at the tempo required to make the pressing game work. So now Koeman has to find a formula between now and say 2018, including new signings and such from the windows inbetween.

Just listening to him talk about pressing, then not having a plan B is like Jagielka (captain) coming out each week saying we need to work during the week, we wipe this from our minds and correct it next game etc etc....

Just do something Everton (players and coaches) to get results until the bigger picture becomes more apparent.

The fact he emphasises so much on 'ze preshing game' or usually its the same soundbites like 've didn't do ze preshing game so well, but okay' tells me he has only one way of playing, just like brown shoes does, just like pep Guardiola does.

Im looking for a manager who can change his style/philosophy to suit the game. I do take your point into consideration though because he hasn't come out and said here is my plan......

Still waiting to see what changes he brings as so far I don't see too many.

Have mentioned it before mate, the way he wants to play obviously isn't working, so he should set - up (a plan B) with the players he has a system that works for them, for some reason he just can't/won't do it.

In the next couple of windows he can then try and bring in the type of player that suits the way he wants to play.

Why does Koeman make such a big deal of it ? Does he not have a plan B for the team right now until he gets the balance right ?
Pressing is not something that you can teach, its about having a player willing to run that little bit further, a little bit quicker.

If Koeman feels the pressing game isn't working, that does not give him a free pass to swerve everything between now and the next two windows.
Surely he's so adamant about pressing because anybody can do it if they want to, it's just they are not willing to put the yards in, it's about effort and he always(quite rightly too) demands 110% from his players.

Surely he's so adamant about pressing because anybody can do it if they want to, it's just they are not willing to put the yards in, it's about effort and he always(quite rightly too) demands 110% from his players.

True, im sure we all agree. The point we are making is why doesn't he change the players ? If he doesn't feel anyone is up to the fight, then why doesn't he change the formula until he gets his own players in ?

Schneiderlin is a definite goer if Everton want him, imo. United fans want to get rid of him, and he is way down the list at United so he's hardly playing at all.

True, im sure we all agree. The point we are making is why doesn't he change the players ? If he doesn't feel anyone is up to the fight, then why doesn't he change the formula until he gets his own players in ?

Maybe the Chelsea fiasco has something to do with it? I'm not sure. You can't really defend the team selections for the last 3 matches.

I'm bored to death of 4-5-1 with 2 holding midfielders. 12 years of it now.

You play a system with what players you have at your disposal, if for instance you don't have any pacey wingers then you don't play a 4-4-2.
We know what Koemans preferred system is but the players we have now don't suit it, so he has to change the system and utilize what he has got until he gets the players he wants.

Schneiderlin is a definite goer if Everton want him, imo. United fans want to get rid of him, and he is way down the list at United so he's hardly playing at all.

My worry is that we've not heard much of a link to him. Only seen Palace mentioned weirdly.

Mind you, could be a good thing the media rarely has a clue.

You play a system with what players you have at your disposal, if for instance you don't have any pacey wingers then you don't play a 4-4-2.
We know what Koemans preferred system is but the players we have now don't suit it, so he has to change the system and utilize what he has got until he gets the players he wants.

With that though we could end up doing what palace did at Swansea; we play 442 and look great going forward but suspect at the back.

We possibly do have the personel to play that way, but it means either you play with 2 holding midfielders in the middle, so all your creativity comes from the wings. Or you play with only one holding midfielder. This means though that the one holiding player will get caught out on the break and will find himself outnumbered 3:1 in the middle.

The other issue is who plays up with Lukaku?
Kone? Valencia? Calvert -Lewin? I'm not sure we have an effective second striker at the moment.

The issue is our players don't seem to fit any system. They were awful at a possession-based game, they can't do a pressing-game, and no-one on the team can head the ball apparently, so we can't whip crosses into the box either. We have lots of individually talented players, particularly in an attacking sense, but no way of putting them together effectively.

Maybe the Chelsea fiasco has something to do with it? I'm not sure. You can't really defend the team selections for the last 3 matches.

I'm bored to death of 4-5-1 with 2 holding midfielders. 12 years of it now.

This is one way Koeman can almost have a freebie in my eyes, if he changes the formation/players to include say Davies, Holgate, Lukaku and another striker, then I will give him more time even with defeats. Its when I see the 4-4-1-1 formation and results./performances stay the same that I worry. People call it knee jerking, but we have seen the same crap for 12 years as mentioned.

Reactions: JLW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back