Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not arguing we are playing hugely better mate, but as well as the penny dropping for a few etc, the formation change had a huge part to play, with the team the way it is currently we are alarmingly close to not being able to play the formation - would argue that any injury to Lukaku, Baines, Williams or Holgate would enforce a formational change

We change back to a back 4 - those goals will dry up alarmingly again

Any return to that godawful 4-2-3-1 with these players will see us go back to the turgid clueless side we have been for the past 2 years yes, but I don't think he'll do that even if we have injuries.

Kevin played well for last 2 games that allowed sanction of Del to go, we have no intention of signing a striker

Del was going as soon as he failed to make the most of his gametime vs Watford pal

I didn't think he played that badly, but Ron-Ko had had enough, by the looks of it.

Lookman coming in and clearly impressing in training and in his appearances meant Del was soon let go.

I'm not saying that at all.

I'm saying if they are available this window, as a backup option, they won't be any better than what we have currently.

Now, the lad we bid for (or at least, according to two separate links) at Nice - Alassane Plea - is a forward. He's not a no.9, he's more of a wide forward - or plays just off the main man.

He'd improve the first team, and also offer a viable option as an alternative to Rom if needed.

But, that bid has seemingly been rejected, as Nice probably don't want to sell a player they view as being key in their title challenge.

So, we've sacked it off, for now, and we'll see what happens with that come summer - if anything.

In the meantime, rather than get another stop-gap, we'll stick with the one we have in Valencia - unless something comes up that is too good to turn down (which it may well do).

That is my issue though mate, we seemed to have yet again spent the best part of a month kind of bumbling around on a whole wvariety of forward targets, now to be left in the situation of saying 'no value, no one available of the quality' etc, well yeah their won't be now because we wasted the month bumbling around again.

Yet agin this term - backup option is being mentioned though, honestly mate, if its a wide type forward who can play number 9 as well sect we have been targeting and are after, then they aren't a backup are they, you would assume they would be brought in as a replacement ahead of Mirallas in that role which he has been playing, so really we are saying we could not attract a player to us even given the fact theyd be starting the majority of games - which changes the perception of not bringing a player in hugely dont you agree?

15 chances with about 8 on target, if it weren't for their keeper we'd have scored 3 in the first half.
Either way, we'll find out in the next few months if we're going to find goals from other areas of the pitch as I'm pretty sure that we're not signing any forwards and it's likely Rom will have a dry spell at some stage.

15 chances with about 8 on target, if it weren't for their keeper we'd have scored 3 in the first half.

We dominated them could of been a cricket scoreline if keeper didn't have one of his yearly worldie game v us, I know Big Nev speaks highly of the keeper but he always seems to put in top draw performances v us.

Is this because we have poor finishers who a able to be read like a book - lukaku or keeper being class? I wonder. Spurs always shoot from outside the box and it can look like opponent keepers to spurs have always world class games when in reality the keeper is being spammed with shots. I do hope it was an off game but minus ross and Lukaku we have hardly any attacking quality (Too early to rely on lookman for me)
Now I hoped we would sign a striker but that may not be the case.

I just hope we do not play like koeman did sometimes at saints if you can remember the game at goodison when they was huffing and puffing but never had real quality. (The mori goal game)

Omg Sky, West Ham and Arsenal have both told us there is no business today but let's go there anyway....Everyone's gone home nothing happening.....20 mins later, lets go to Arsenal and West Ham

That is my issue though mate, we seemed to have yet again spent the best part of a month kind of bumbling around on a whole wvariety of forward targets, now to be left in the situation of saying 'no value, no one available of the quality' etc, well yeah their won't be now because we wasted the month bumbling around again.

Yet agin this term - backup option is being mentioned though, honestly mate, if its a wide sype forward who can play number 9 as well sect we have been targeting and are after, then they aren't a backup are they, you would assume they would be brought in as a replacement ahead of Mirallas in that role which he has been playing, so really we are saying we could not attract a player to us even given the fact theyd be starting the majority of games - which changes the perception of not bringing a player in hugely dont you agree?

From everything Koeman has said mate I'm pretty sure it's him.

He's the shot-caller and if he's not convinced, he ain't bringing them in.

He doesn't settle for second-best. He wants his targets. If not, then he's happy enough with the options he has.

And no. In the case of Plea I think it's Nice who rejected the bid. They previously rejected a bid from Saints IIRC as well (earlier in the window). They don't want to sell him.

I'm quite relaxed if we don't sign anyone . Of course we will expect big transfers in the summer but no point paying over the odds now. We have a good team and a good spirit. Let's see how far they can take us and then really go out in the summer and get two or three massive signings.

That's not to say I wouldn't welcome a late one this window but wouldn't want any old player. Very glad we swerved depay

Any return to that godawful 4-2-3-1 with these players will see us go back to the turgid clueless side we have been for the past 2 years yes, but I don't think he'll do that even if we have injuries.

I agree it would be a disaster mate switching back.

But if you break the squad down, the formation relies on width from the fullbacks and the correct blend of cb's (as seen when jagielka started ahead of Holgate and the system was a shambles in the chelsea loss)

For the system to work you need a cb who can bring it out a bit, and one with a bit of pace - Holgate, and also someone great at reading the game who has a bit of make up pace (williams) - Jagielka cant play either of those two roles now his legs have completely gone, which leaves us IMO switching formation should either get injured

Without Lukaku - formation or not we'd be royally screwed and end up switching to a hard to beat formation rather than one going out to win games as well - 0-0's or trying to sneak a 1-0 etc

Del was going as soon as he failed to make the most of his gametime vs Watford pal

I didn't think he played that badly, but Ron-Ko had had enough, by the looks of it.

Lookman coming in and clearly impressing in training and in his appearances meant Del was soon let go.

The is probably something we have not seen in training that means Geri has been classed as spare parts and while manager may of done a UTurn on Ross

Attitude is night and day for me Ross looks like he is going strength to strength while del stagnated and give his usual huffing and puffing.

I wouldn't of classed del as deadwood myself but if this is case I stick with the managers judgement over my opinion, we know his quality but if his attitude is bad we have done well to get rid.

Overall I am glad we are removing our crap but I think cherry on the cake would be a striker or Keane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back