Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sign a player like Amavi or Gueye as the other teams best player and i think they relish the step up...alternatively get someone from Real Madrid and they may think that its a step down and sulk...

Swings both ways in extremes...who knows

I'm referring to us keep signing players from a relegated team mate. Considering as it stands, we only done business with 2 teams in the league below, 1 team only kept up by terrible teams last year and 1 who probably will go down this year themselves.

so if we go 'we need players' and then continue with that policy of signing the best player at a crap club then we aren't improving anything there, because if the player was really that good, they would have been snapped up elsewhere. Considering, you know gueye was made available and immediately snapped up within a couple of weeks by us.

I thought you were dismissing him as being not fit to lace scholes boots...so i was saying, even if not at the moment if we improve to such an extent where we have top notch coaches then barkley can become a star....or a squad player...

i dont think the talk of selling him from people makes sense.

Not being funny mate but barkley at his best potential isn't good enough compared to scholes.

If he hits his potential he still won't be in the same class of scholes.

Haha exactly what i wanted to post...hes quick too and good going forward.

Personally think hed take baines place very quickly...maybe immediately is a stretch.

I really like him...

Have you seen him since the injury?

No not since he came back, not sure if he's even playing at the minute but I presume so? Rarely catch the Championship these days.

I'm referring to us keep signing players from a relegated team mate. Considering as it stands, we only done business with 2 teams in the league below, 1 team only kept up by terrible teams last year and 1 who probably will go down this year themselves.

so if we go 'we need players' and then continue with that policy of signing the best player at a crap club then we aren't improving anything there, because if the player was really that good, they would have been snapped up elsewhere. Considering, you know gueye was made available and immediately snapped up within a couple of weeks by us.

Not really sure I agree with your way of thinking here. Current team is largely irrelevant when you look at some of the players at crap teams currently (Sigurdsson big example). Yes it's not inspiring buying a player for a relegated prem team but why does a team being relegated automatically make that player not good enough?

You could liken it to shopping for clothes: do you spend the extra 0's on a Ted Baker plain black t-shirt or do you get one from ASOS for £8 which is likely made just as well?

The ball was on our side of the pitch for more or less the entirety of the second half. In ways it reminded me of the City game because we offered nothing - absolutely nothing - in the way of offense. Still was scoreless for 94 minutes..... To me that is an indication that your offense needs more attention than the defense.

In the first half the intensity on our side was outstanding and there was less pressure on the defense due to having both McCarthy and Gueye - we moved the ball forward some, just could not do anything with it. When McCarthy left we were immediately on our heels.

onslaught is pushing it, don't remember our goal being peppered, they created what two chances? three at a push. There's a difference between having a lot of possession and onslaught imo.

Not really sure I agree with your way of thinking here. Current team is largely irrelevant when you look at some of the players at crap teams currently (Sigurdsson big example). Yes it's not inspiring buying a player for a relegated prem team but why does a team being relegated automatically make that player not good enough?

You could liken it to shopping for clothes: do you spend the extra 0's on a Ted Baker plain black t-shirt or do you get one from ASOS for £8 which is likely made just as well?
A bit of a loose analogy there mate.

Do you genuinely think if we only signed players from the championship or relegation fighting teams, we are going to improve enough to surpass clubs signing the manes, the eriksens, the payets of the game? We have already bought villa's best player once, we keep buying their best player and the quality diminishes each time.

Plus we need to be signing winners, leaders, fighters etc, if we are solely shopping at the bottom end of the league or below then how do we do that? We have palace's best player, swansea's best player, villas best player, fulhams goalkeeper (or saints back up keeper) and west ham reject. When you consider that

a) look how those teams fared/are faring

and

b) look how they fared before we came and bought from them.

You have to question that mentality. It is a small club mentality, and we aren't improving. You might think theoretically signing the best player from a crap team would benefit us but consider this,

we sign 11 best players from 11 crap teams who do/fight relegation each year.

Have we got a good team there, or a relegation one?

Do you genuinely think if we only signed players from the championship or relegation fighting teams, we are going to improve enough to surpass clubs signing the manes, the eriksens, the payets of the game? We have already bought villa's best player once, we keep buying their best player and the quality diminishes each time.

That's poor logic. There's loads of great players in terrible teams, and it's an undisputed fact that our best bit of transfer business in the last 2 years came from a relegated club. There's no reason players from Championship or relegated clubs can't come to us and do a job if they're chosen for a system. At least they're playing football regularly which, in my mind, is better than looking at lads who are considered unfit to play at United

A bit of a loose analogy there mate.

Plus we need to be signing winners, leaders, fighters etc, if we are solely shopping at the bottom end of the league or below then how do we do that? We have palace's best player, swansea's best player, villas best player, fulhams goalkeeper (or saints back up keeper) and west ham reject. When you consider that

a) look how those teams fared/are faring

and

b) look how they fared before we came and bought from them.

You have to question that mentality. It is a small club mentality, and we aren't improving. You might think theoretically signing the best player from a crap team would benefit us but consider this,

we sign 11 best players from 11 crap teams who do/fight relegation each year.

Have we got a good team there, or a relegation one?

But we aren't linked with a full team of rejects just this one left-back? I don't really see how what your saying is a good enough reason to ignore him as a player that's both young, highly rated, cheap & proven he can do it in the PL.

That's poor logic. There's loads of great players in terrible teams, and it's an undisputed fact that our best bit of transfer business in the last 2 years came from a relegated club. There's no reason players from Championship or relegated clubs can't come to us and do a job if they're chosen for a system. At least they're playing football regularly which, in my mind, is better than looking at lads who are considered unfit to play at United
But a whole team of them? is it poor logic to think the best of the worst teams combined isn't actually going to be that great?

even the fact considering our business in the summer, we did add to each position on the pitch, and yet we have not improved in the process? All first choice now as well.

the fact the clubs we dealt with were the only ones we could negotiate with as well.

onslaught is pushing it, don't remember our goal being peppered, they created what two chances? three at a push. There's a difference between having a lot of possession and onslaught imo.

Not trying to be argumentative, but that is basically my point. The defense was constantly under pressure - the keeper was not.

Perhaps a poor choice of words sorry.

But we aren't linked with a full team of rejects just this one left-back? I don't really see how what your saying is a good enough reason to ignore him as a player that's both young, highly rated, cheap & proven he can do it in the PL.

HE'S FROM ASTON VILLA SO HE CAN'T BE GOOD ENOUGH. WHEN HAVE WE EVER SIGNED ANYONE FROM VILLA WHO'S ANY GOOD????

-Ashtonian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back