Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well no because you're saying Bolasia (Palace), Gana (Villa) and Williams (Swansea) are part of this fabled "team of relegated players" but can you honestly say those 3 players should have been at those teams in the first place?
williams should have been, no-one else came in for him before we did. Gueye was just a random french player. you get Kantes, you get half of the french players to play for arsenal. Complete gamble really. Bolasie again was so good no-one wanted him before we came in for him, and palace struggled every year despite him being in the team?

It isn't as flawed as you make it out to be, these aren't players who are 24 and burst onto the scene these are pros who have not had a huge queue to sign them before we did. Not proving any point here.

a whole team of them though? No we haven't been linked with a whole team yet but over 2-3 years with that policy we would end up with a whole team full and probably still wondering why we are still mid table. the best of the worst is fine when you can use that player, keep signing them and the quality of the team doesn't improve no matter how wishful you are.

Look at some of our best players over the past 15 years.

Jags - bought from relegated team. Sheffield United
Lescott - bought from relegated team. Wolves.
Distin - played for Portsmouth a yoyo team
Cahill bought from a championship team. Millwall
Arteta bought from a Spanish team which was a yoyo teamreal sociedad.
Baines bought from Wigan
Gueye bought from villa.

Our record of buying from such teams is way better than when we've tried taking players from the fringe of big teams. United rejects, shandy Andy, drenthe, mori, delboy etc.

It's still confusing me why you're thinking one player out of a relegated squad can't be good enough. Teams are relegated when 11 players on the pitch and a manager aren't good enough. Doesn't mean one player isn't good! If Swansea go down and Sigurdsson is available would you say no because he plays for a crap team?
I'm saying continuing to do it is not a good idea. Not saying one or two is not a good idea, obviously Gueye is our best midfielder right now. but doing it again and again, window after window is not a good policy.

And the player this all stemmed from means that 2 consecutive windows we would be signing from said types of clubs, do it again in the summer and then so on and so forth before you don't just have 1 relegated player, you have 7-8 of them.

Siggurdson by himself is good enough for us, but again it would be signing another player from a struggling team, same as the villa left back

Compare those sorts of players to just going back to bloody villa again....

Nobody is saying we should keep raiding Villa. But if there's a good player still at Villa worth raiding, then take him. I don't see how that is so controversial. Coleman came from Sligo effing Rovers, Baines from Wigan, Mirallas from Olympiakos, Jags from Sheffield United, Cahill from Millwall. These were all part of Everton teams that placed highly in the league. Sometimes I think people only worship Lukaku because he came from Chelsea

I'm saying continuing to do it is not a good idea. Not saying one or two is not a good idea, obviously Gueye is our best midfielder right now. but doing it again and again, window after window is not a good policy.

And the player this all stemmed from means that 2 consecutive windows we would be signing from said types of clubs, do it again in the summer and then so on and so forth before you don't just have 1 relegated player, you have 7-8 of them.

Siggurdson by himself is good enough for us, but again it would be signing another player from a struggling team, same as the villa left back

So yes to Sigurdsson but no to Amavi? What's the logic behind that then?

Plus we're heavily linked with Depay, Schneiderlin & Dzagoev as well as Amavi. So it's not like our entire window is shopping in crap teams. Hell we're crap but we still have players other teams would come in for.

Lescott - bought from relegated team. Wolves.
Distin - played for Portsmouth a yoyo team
Cahill bought from a championship team. Millwall
Arteta bought from a Spanish team which was a yoyo teamreal sociedad.
Baines bought from Wigan
Gueye bought from villa.

Our record of buying from such teams is way better than when we've tried taking players from the fringe of big teams. United rejects, shandy Andy, drenthe, mori, delboy etc.

Nobody is saying we should keep raiding Villa. But if there's a good player still at Villa worth raiding, then take him. I don't see how that is so controversial. Coleman came from Sligo effing Rovers, Baines from Wigan, Mirallas from Olympiakos, Jags from Sheffield United, Cahill from Millwall. These were all part of Everton teams that placed highly in the league. Sometimes I think people only worship Lukaku because he came from Chelsea

Oh snap, I hadn't even seen your post until I posted mine. Great minds

Lescott - bought from relegated team. Wolves. didn't play once in the premier league before we signed him. Was injured
Distin - played for Portsmouth a yoyo teamDidn't get relegated and signed when they were challenging up the league
Cahill bought from a championship team. MillwallWasn't a relegated player and bought when literally we were selling to survive so hardly ambitious back then
Arteta bought from a Spanish team which was a yoyo teamreal sociedad.Arteta didn't get relegated
Baines bought from WiganWigan were at that point mid table or there abouts
Gueye bought from villa.

As above in bold mate. Most of those are not just players relegated the year before or experienced in struggling teams.

Which again is the point, signing players used to struggling and failing league wise, no matter how good they over, collect them all together over time and we still don't improve.

If they were young and a break out star then that is different to signing the experienced ones.

I think Ash is still scared by the Wigan players we bought who were all obviously absolute toilet.

This isn't the same though. There's value down there if you look about as we have shown in the past.

Spot on. This really is a silly debate

A quick look at Chelsea's team that started at the weekend:

Courtois - Atletico
Azpilicueta - Marseille
Cahill - Bolton
Luiz - PSG (Benfica the first time around)
Alonso - Fiorentina
Kante - Leicester
Matic - Benfica (Kosice first time around)
Moses - Wigan
Hazard - Lille
Costa - Atletico
Willian - Anzhi

It's the player, not what team they come from.

Going in circles here so make this my last reply on it.

they weren't proverbial relegation battlers though, and were young enough when we bought them, most of the players you mentioned weren't the same types of players i am referring to?

and for the last time. Signing a good player from a bad team is not a bad thing, a policy of where you keep doing it will warrant a lower quality than you expect to get, Especially if you only sign from those types of clubs.

So yes to Sigurdsson but no to Amavi? What's the logic behind that then?

Plus we're heavily linked with Depay, Schneiderlin & Dzagoev as well as Amavi. So it's not like our entire window is shopping in crap teams. Hell we're crap but we still have players other teams would come in for.

ok finally 2 points there.

I said siggurdsoon was good enough for us, not that we should or shouldn't sign either of them (which to be fair i have not said this left back isn't good enough for us)

and secondly, yes we are linked with them mate. We were also linked with Witsel, mata, Koulibaby, carvahlio, Berihimi, Gabbiadani etc that worked out well eh? the links and the actual players bought, massive gulf in quality for 4 of the 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back