Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an excuse mate. What are we going to do then, maintain our 2007 wage structure for evermore? We need to get with the programme, the 2017 programme, not the 2007 one.

I don't know the answer. I guess you have to do it gradually rather than just lump all in.

As I say no idea really. I can't imagine Georgios Samaras was that happy when Robinho turned up at City on quadruple the wage he was on (I may have my dates of City players muddled but oh well you know what I mean).

It does come down to money. That's how City made the transformation from bottom half dross to the European elite. They offered more money than their competitors, whilst we continue to offer less than our competitors, even less than the likes of West Ham and Watford.

I imagine Spurs offered higher wages to Sissoko, and the difference in wages being offered between Juventus and Everton would not have been big enough to change Witsel's mind. Paying him a mid-table premier league wage that is 20k more than what he is being offered at an elite club like Juventus is not enough. Offer him double what he would get at Juventus with a 130k weekly wage and they will come, no doubt about it.

But of course we didn't offer such wages, and we continue to employ the same player wage and transfer strategy that we did 10 years ago, so we remain with all the other mid-table also-rans, just like we did 10 years ago.

I'm not saying I disagree with the principle, just stating that it doesn't always apply, clearly. City got their money in the time before the mega TV cash started coming into the league. I'm not making an excuse, but it is a caveat. There's absolutely no evidence that we're paying/offering less than West Ham or Watford, so where have you got that nonsense from?

And no, we offered higher wages than Spurs. Moshiri literally confirmed this two days ago.

Witsel - we upped our offer three times - this was well documented. He would have been our highest wager, and on over 100k p/week. He held out for Juve who eventually went in for him, an dthen that deal broke down.

My source is this website like so only going on what others have said. Williams i think came in at 70 grand did he not?

Williams is on around that yes, Bolasie I know is on around the same.

Baines' last deal he signed was worth around the 75k mark. Rom is our highest earner on more than that. Barkley and Coleman are also on hefty wages.

I don't know the answer. I guess you have to do it gradually rather than just lump all in.

As I say no idea really. I can't imagine Georgios Samaras was that happy when Robinho turned up at City on quadruple the wage he was on (I may have my dates of City players muddled but oh well you know what I mean).

My honest answer to that is that players whinging that they are only on 50k a week can absolutely do one, especially when they are crap. If we want to move on, then we really will need to dramatically increase our wage bill. Staying in 2007 won't help anyone.

My honest answer to that is that players whinging that they are only on 50k a week can absolutely do one, especially when they are crap. If we want to move on, then we really will need to dramatically increase our wage bill. Staying in 2007 won't help anyone.

As stated, we weren't paying half (at least) of our first-team squad 50k+ p/wk in 2007...

I'm not saying I disagree with the principle, just stating that it doesn't always apply, clearly. City got their money in the time before the mega TV cash started coming into the league. I'm not making an excuse, but it is a caveat. There's absolutely no evidence that we're paying/offering less than West Ham or Watford, so where have you got that nonsense from?

And no, we offered higher wages than Spurs. Moshiri literally confirmed this two days ago.

Witsel - we upped our offer three times - this was well documented. He would have been our highest wager, and on over 100k p/week. He held out for Juve who eventually went in for him, an dthen that deal broke down.

Well documented? Hmm?

Deeney at Watford is on 110k a week, Payet at West Ham is on a 125k a week. We now have revenues that are the same or above the revenues that were experienced by the old top four from 10 years ago, who were spending 100k - 140k per week on their top players years ago. The old top 4 have been paying over 100k a week on star players for donks now, and now the midtable clubs like Watford and West Ham are doing so, but we are still waiting. In 2017, you need to be offering around 130k a week for top players.

Well documented? Hmm?

Deeney at Watford is on 110k a week, Payet at West Ham is on a 125k a week. We now have revenues that are the same or above the revenues that were experienced by the old top four from 10 years ago, who were spending 100k - 140k per week on their top players years ago. The old top 4 have been paying over 100k a week on star players for donks now, and now the midtable clubs like Watford and West Ham are doing so, but we are still waiting. In 2017, you need to be offering around 130k a week for top players.

JESUS CHRIST?!?!? IS HE??!!?

Well documented? Hmm?

We attempted to offer Witsel, Sissoko and god knows how many others that money to sign for us. They didn't take it.

Watford (and I don't know where this Deeney figure is from btw as I've heard much different) and West Ham have done that to maintain their squad - they haven't signed players and offered them those wages.

There's pretty solid rumours that the deal of around 140k has been on the table with Rom for some time as well... But okay.

We attempted to offer Witsel, Sissoko and god knows how many others that money to sign for us. They didn't take it.

Watford (and I don't know where this Deeney figure is from btw as I've heard much different) and West Ham have done that to maintain their squad - they haven't signed players and offered them those wages.

There's pretty solid rumours that the deal of around 140k has been on the table with Rom for some time as well... But okay.

Pretty solid rumours?

Deeney's wages are well stated in online tabloid media. If we are able and willing to pay the level that I am talking about then there isn't a problem and we should soon have ourselves some top players being paid that level very soon. We will soon be moving on from the midtable wage structure of 10 years ago, which is great and exactly what is needed. I just hope that it actually happens, otherwise we will fall further behind.

I understand where you are coming from but you can't just go around offering insane wages to one or two particular players. That would disrupt the players we already have even more. With the better ones wanting the same.

How many of the current crop would you be even added if they got the strop and how would it be possible to tell when most don't look that bothered anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back