Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would wait until the summer for Pickford. Realistically a keeper won't make us break the top 6 this season. We should have a clear run at him this summer as the rest seem set at that position.

It might actually be more advantageous to go for him now. Firstly, we have the Stones money we need to spend or that surplus will be wasted, but most importantly his price could be cheaper now. If Sunderland legit need to sell to buy and if Moyes believes he needs to bring in more players to stay up then Pickford is their most sellable asset since Mannone is still a capable PL keeper.

If Koeman/Walsh truly believe Pickford is the keeper of the future then get him in with the injury discount and keep rolling with Stek/Robles until he is fit again. Our current keepers are good enough for our current spot but one of the biggest differences between us and the teams above (bar liverpool) is a top class goalie. If that goalie is Pickford we can afford to wait the next few weeks because honestly this season is a transitional one (while still having a realistic goal of EL). Next year is where we should start seeing us making a more solid attempt to step up to the next tier.

It might actually be more advantageous to go for him now. Firstly, we have the Stones money we need to spend or that surplus will be wasted, but most importantly his price could be cheaper now. If Sunderland legit need to sell to buy and if Moyes believes he needs to bring in more players to stay up then Pickford is their most sellable asset since Mannone is still a capable PL keeper.

If Koeman/Walsh truly believe Pickford is the keeper of the future then get him in with the injury discount and keep rolling with Stek/Robles until he is fit again. Our current keepers are good enough for our current spot but one of the biggest differences between us and the teams above (bar liverpool) is a top class goalie. If that goalie is Pickford we can afford to wait the next few weeks because honestly this season is a transitional one (while still having a realistic goal of EL). Next year is where we should start seeing us making a more solid attempt to step up to the next tier.

I'd also get him in even if hes injured...just need to ensure the injury isnt serious but it doesnt seem to be.

Conte - he wont break up that defensive unit till next year at earliest.
Pep - any player going to City, especially in defence, is on a hiding to nothing. I have my doubts whether Pep will be there in a year or so anyway.

Liverpool were keen but have been distancing themselves away via the media. Would love it if its damage limitation as he wants the move here. Pretty good chance he is keen like.
Like I say, biggest thing will be Saints as they will be loathe to lose him to us.

Southampton seem to be a pragmatic club who kind of "know their place" and play it well accordingly. OF all the players they have lost they generally re-recruit just as well. I think if we did what we did with Koulibaly and blow teams out of the water with a bid it will accomplish 2 things. Firstly they will look to sell to us as the highest bidder. Secondly if we can't get him, to upset the apple cart and force another side to have to pay more than they otherwise would have liked too. Forcing Liverpool to have to go to 45 million for him would be amusing.

We have the luxury of having received the best part of 50 million for Stones. We also have a number of promising defenders who might be "squad player" level coming through. (Browning, Pennington, Holgate). We don't really need quantity in this position, but if there is a chance of adding quality we must look at it, almost irrespective of price.

The lad himself is top draw. When we played Southampton he looked the best player on the pitch. This season he looks the defender that most of us think Stones will become. It would be a major statement to get the lad in.

Remember Dave Watson. We spent hugely on him and he offered us the value back. It would be a huge signing and would be chuffed if we could make it happen somehow.

Southampton seem to be a pragmatic club who kind of "know their place" and play it well accordingly. OF all the players they have lost they generally re-recruit just as well. I think if we did what we did with Koulibaly and blow teams out of the water with a bid it will accomplish 2 things. Firstly they will look to sell to us as the highest bidder. Secondly if we can't get him, to upset the apple cart and force another side to have to pay more than they otherwise would have liked too. Forcing Liverpool to have to go to 45 million for him would be amusing.

We have the luxury of having received the best part of 50 million for Stones. We also have a number of promising defenders who might be "squad player" level coming through. (Browning, Pennington, Holgate). We don't really need quantity in this position, but if there is a chance of adding quality we must look at it, almost irrespective of price.

The lad himself is top draw. When we played Southampton he looked the best player on the pitch. This season he looks the defender that most of us think Stones will become. It would be a major statement to get the lad in.

Remember Dave Watson. We spent hugely on him and he offered us the value back. It would be a huge signing and would be chuffed if we could make it happen somehow.

Thinking about it, for £40-50mil I cant see who the competition could be other than Man City and Pep has said hes not bidding.

Based on last night I really dont want him.

He stunk.
That's one game though, he has been stellar otherwise... I'm going with my theory that he wants to come here and with the window so close played bad to drive off the competition... I'll make you one of my fantastic tin foil hats if you want one too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back