Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morgan freeman?

Dear Fellas. I can't believe how fast things move on the outside. I saw a Man City fan once when I was a kid, but now they're everywhere. The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry. The united board got me into this halfway house called Finch Farm, and a job clearing up gareth barrys mess at goodison park. It's hard work. I try to keep up, but my hands hurt most of the time. I don't think koeman likes me very much. Sometimes after work I go to the park and feed the birds. I keep thinking jose mourinho might just show up and say hello. But he never does. I hope wherever he is, he's doing okay and making new friends.

This is actually very good Neil.

If you're moving on from Van Dijk because of the cost there's no point looking at Gibson, would cost £30-35m minimum to get him this month.

Hi mate, thanks for coming on board. I've liked Gibson for quite a while (oddly think him, Keane and Dunk are all very promising young defenders, have you seen much of the other two?)

Do you think there's any possibility of your lot wanting to sell? How highly do you rate Gibson?

Hi mate, thanks for coming on board. I've liked Gibson for quite a while (oddly think him, Keane and Dunk are all very promising young defenders, have you seen much of the other two?)

Do you think there's any possibility of your lot wanting to sell? How highly do you rate Gibson?
I think there is very little chance of us selling in January, it would take similar money to what you got for Stones for him to leave this window. That being said, and to answer your other question, I think he's a far better defender than Stones and has really added to his game this season (passing improved, bringing the ball out with confidence and being a leader on the pitch). He should have been in the last England squad instead of Jagielka in my opinion and I think once he gets called up he'll be a mainstay for years to come, potential captain material.

If you'd asked me last season I'd have said he was our second best defender and wouldn't have been too confident about him stepping up to the Prem. However he's taken to it like a duck to water and looks like a superstar in the making. No offence meant but I'd expect him to go to a bigger team than Everton in the summer, apparently Conte is a fan and I'm sure Jose knows all about him.

Gibson is class but his uncle is the owner and he seems boro through and through so it'd be extremely difficult to get him IMO.
That's the problem you'd have. I think January is a near impossibility to get him, even in the summer we'll put up a fight as long as we stay up.

I expect we will see different “stages” in this window.

It’s clear lads like Schneiderlin & Depay are players Koeman has either directly worked with or been involved with. The same with VVD. Over time I suspect we will see less of this type of signing. I had hoped Depay and Schneiderlin would be done quite quickly as it would suit all through. For whatever reason United are being obstinate over Schneiderlin, to prove a point so it may take a little longer.

There’s no doubt to me he’s worth 24 million. I know people will say he’s been out of the team in that time, but what that has to be balanced against is the huge inflation in prices in that period.

I do think we will start to see some unknown lads brought in too. The list @Eggs put up a while ago had several lads who were completely unknown. This is Walsh’s speciality. I expect maybe 2 or 3 relatively unknown players as the window goes on.

Sort of a half way house between them I’d like to see us looking at younger English players who we can get for prices that aren’t too astronomical. Keane and/or Gibson for anything under 20 million, even if it involves loaning them back would be smart business.

That's the problem you'd have. I think January is a near impossibility to get him, even in the summer we'll put up a fight as long as we stay up.
I like boro. I don't think he'd go for the money we sold stones for, he isn't at that level / notoriety yet. But he will certainly go for the 20-35m mark.

I hope you stay up this season I think karanka Is a quality manager you just need more goals in your side. Hopefully you sign deulofeu as he would give you a bit of a creative edge.

I think there is very little chance of us selling in January, it would take similar money to what you got for Stones for him to leave this window. That being said, and to answer your other question, I think he's a far better defender than Stones and has really added to his game this season (passing improved, bringing the ball out with confidence and being a leader on the pitch). He should have been in the last England squad instead of Jagielka in my opinion and I think once he gets called up he'll be a mainstay for years to come, potential captain material.

If you'd asked me last season I'd have said he was our second best defender and wouldn't have been too confident about him stepping up to the Prem. However he's taken to it like a duck to water and looks like a superstar in the making. No offence meant but I'd expect him to go to a bigger team than Everton in the summer, apparently Conte is a fan and I'm sure Jose knows all about him.

Thanks for your reply mate and welcome to the board! Did you feel he was behind Ayala last season?

That's certainly high praise indeed for him. When I watched the championship, Dunk, Keane and Gibson were the lads that always stuck out to me. We had success several years ago with Jagielka/Lescott buying from the championship in that position so you always keep half an eye. How do you rate him compared to those two lads?

I'll be quite honest, I can't imagine we would look to be spending that much money on him. We have probably missed the boat a bit and he sounds like he is quite pivotal to your squad so difficult to see a deal being done. Your defensive record is very strong though and his partnership with Chambers is looks central to that in the games I've seen. I really like Gibson, but sometimes wonder if he might just lack a yard of pace, that's about all I've noted negatively on him though.

I like boro. I don't think he'd go for the money we sold stones for, he isn't at that level / notoriety yet. But he will certainly go for the 20-35m mark.

I hope you stay up this season I think karanka Is a quality manager you just need more goals in your side. Hopefully you sign deulofeu as he would give you a bit of a creative edge.
You're right, he doesn't have the hype yet. However, as a player I think he absolutely is at Stones' level. Not as good on the ball but a far better defender.

You're right, he doesn't have the hype yet. However, as a player I think he absolutely is at Stones' level. Not as good on the ball but a far better defender.
Yeah Gibson is a solid defender.

Stones did used to be able defend fantastically but it seems like he has lost that for now. He will get it back eventually though once he gets his head right.

Gibson will have a good career, hopefully eventually with us!

Not a chance. In-form Stones is incredible, one of the best players in the country at bringing the ball out of defence.

i dont think boro would ask for what stones went for. Although I think Stones is rubbish, his stock was extremely high at the time he was sold and he was a regular international. He also had 3 years regular premier league experience and was part of a team who finished 5th with 72 points. Many top managers had been after him such as Mourinho and then of course Guardiola. As far as Gibson is concerned I think the bidding would start at around 20 million and probably reach an agreement at the 30 million mark.
Lets try and be and be realistic here Will mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back