Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your reply mate and welcome to the board! Did you feel he was behind Ayala last season?

That's certainly high praise indeed for him. When I watched the championship, Dunk, Keane and Gibson were the lads that always stuck out to me. We had success several years ago with Jagielka/Lescott buying from the championship in that position so you always keep half an eye. How do you rate him compared to those two lads?

I'll be quite honest, I can't imagine we would look to be spending that much money on him. We have probably missed the boat a bit and he sounds like he is quite pivotal to your squad so difficult to see a deal being done. Your defensive record is very strong though and his partnership with Chambers is looks central to that in the games I've seen. I really like Gibson, but sometimes wonder if he might just lack a yard of pace, that's about all I've noted negatively on him though.
Yes definitely behind Ayala last season. If you're looking for a classy defender relatively cheap Ayala will probably be available this window for around £10m. Him and Karanka seem to have a bit of a personality clash, nothing major but it has lead to Chambers coming into the team (although he has stayed there on merit).

I like Keane, not so keen on Dunk. Dunk seems to be a bit of a hot head, reasonably regular sending offs aren't great to see, especially in a league that is so physical. Keane is a classy player who I do like, not as much as Gibson but I do like him. Much calmer player than Dunk and has a height advantage over Gibson I believe.

Him and Chambers seem to have a bit of a telepathic relationship with each other, which is a brilliant thing to see between a partnership. Like I said in another post, I expect him to go to a massive team when he does leave (which he will), do yeah you probably have missed the boat on both him and Keane. I've never noticed him being overly slow, usually keeps up with most strikers relatively easily, but I will try to look out for it.

i dont think boro would ask for what stones went for. Although I think Stones is rubbish, his stock was extremely high at the time he was sold and he was a regular international. He also had 3 years regular premier league experience and was part of a team who finished 5th with 72 points. Many top managers had been after him such as Mourinho and then of course Guardiola. As far as Gibson is concerned I think the bidding would start at around 20 million and probably reach an agreement at the 30 million mark.
Lets try and be and be realistic here Will mate.
Fair enough, you're entitled to your opinion.

Please tell me people arent suggesting we buy Ben Gibson?

Lads?

Its not 2005 anymore.

He's decent mate. Whether we could get better I really don't know at the moment! I'm finding it very hard to work out where our ceiling is of players we could go as far as. Need a couple of ins to help me see.

Not that Gibson is a big name or the top of the ceiling. But he's quite good and a decent age.

Yes very droll.

Robert Huth is good at the defending. Is he as good as Stones?

How about Johnny Evans?
I told you what I think, Stones is better at bringing it out from the back. Go back and read my post. Gibson is a better defender than I've ever seen from Stones.

Alternatively, go and look at the stats for errors leading to goals. It's not all about carrying the ball out from the back.

Ashley Williams has been our best defender this season, by quite a distance.

man-city-capital-one-cup-league-cup-ramiro-funes-mori-everton_3396269.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back