Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January Transfer Thread 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another forward who isn't a goalscorer? Is the plan to have Lukaku score all of our goals?

Hopefully they know what they're doing at the club, but I'd really like them to sign someone who is a goal threat, as well as being a good player.

So Koemans plan is to turn us into the type of team he has never once managed in the style off before mate?
You obviously didn't look too hard at his Feyenoord team or the changes he made to Pochettino's team in the second season he was there at S'ton - they went back to front a lot more quickly last season. That's the trajectory for us too. Most people already notice the changes, but you go on denying it if you like.

This is a good point, but in all honesty we will have a lot of difficulty getting in players who we can confidently say will close the gap, as if they could why would they come to us?

Belfodil looks a player who can help Lukaku and fit Koeman's style of play.

Yes I agree, we have a job on to get a certain profile/category of player.

I think "rebuilding" will have to be done in two stages, the first is get together 23 players who can achieve much greater levels of performance, consistency, and results. Progress in cups. Qualify for Europa League.

If we do that, at least we will have gained some momentum, and be far more confident of beating Crystal Palace at home and Hull away. A bit like finishing 5th under Martinez but then kicking on rather than imploding. We have to at the very least give the impression of a club making visible progress. Points totals will be far more indicative than league placings in the next season or two, such is the closing off of the Top 6 currently.

Imaginative scouting might help us pull one or two surprises out of the hat - Lookman could be one of those players.

We have never actually competed with the "elite" clubs for players since the inception of the PL. It doesn't mean we can't bridge the gap by other means necessarily. I'm not really sure if there is a recipe for that other than excellent scouting and spending on levels that would be unprecedented for Everton, and doing it consistently over 3-5 windows, not 1-2. That requires not only the means, but the will. I'm probably going to be permanently suspicious when it comes to the possibility of Everton spending big, and there is FFP to consider too.

We will just have to see.

You obviously didn't look too hard at his Feyenoord team or the changes he made to Pochettino's team in the second season he was there at S'ton - they went back to front a lot more quickly last season. That's the trajectory for us too. Most people already notice the changes, but you go on denying it if you like.

Didn't he get Southampton's highest ever Premier League finish by doing this? The ball can come down with snow on it for half the match for all I care if he delvers our highest ever Premier League finish

Oh yeah forgot about him. All gone a bit quiet that one.

Worse than Depay? No ta then!

Yeah the Dzagoev thing i hope comes back but won't be surprised if we never here a link again to him either.

Only seen him being linked with the rs tbh mate, more than likely as a Mane cover i'd guess.

Not someone i'd be bothered about missing out on put it that way, but not a bad player either

Didn't he get Southampton's highest ever Premier League finish by doing this? The ball can come down with snow on it for half the match for all I care if he delvers our highest ever Premier League finish

He didn't play hoof ball at all.

Southampton played on the counter. They got the ball forward quickly both on the deck and in the air, but they had a high energy front six that allowed them to do just that.

Change in the wrong direction for me tbh. Signings like this worry me, just hope I'm dead wrong.

....I'm learning not to have an opinion, Matey. I hope RK and SW are bringing in the players that fit the way they want us to play. There was a debate about this lad yesterday with differing views. I think you're right in raising a concern about the number of clubs the boy has had but he was obviously highly thought of at one stage.

Why?

Walsh was brought in to pick up these 'hidden gems'/ So why criticise when he does (or at least tries to do) just that? Let's at least wait and find out.
Because he's done nothing in 7 years and had 7 clubs. Now finding his feet (and his level?) in the belgian league.

10m isn't much nowadays mind, and he can't be any worse than Niasse. As I said, hope I'm wrong, just not convinced right now and people are trying to act like this lad is going to turn the tide for us. Squad filler, okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back